Waterproof socks?

dazza3512
dazza3512 Posts: 58
edited September 2011 in Tour & expedition
any body using,used a pair of these socks, good or bad points,i am thinking of when i finish a days cycling and my feet are wet,i can put these on and use my cycle shoes to go to the pub in etc,not so much to cycle in ?
He travels fastest who travels alone

Comments

• mercurykev
    mercurykev Posts: 264
    I've got a pair of the Sealskin waterproof socks. As you've guessed they aren't much use for keeping your feet dry during sustained riding in heavy rain but they do keep your feet dry if used as you have suggested.

For touring I use them in conjunction with spd sandals, which are great for wet summer riding, no socks you see.
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    I use waterproof gaitors, which haven't let me down yet in constant rain. Don;t seem to make my feet sweaty, either. But then again, I never really suffered in that department, so can't comment on what they'd be like under those circumstances.

I also fish, and quite a few chaps use army surplus waterproof sock, which are actually more like boot liners. Most people seem to swear by them.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I found sealskinz to be reasonably good for hours of riding ion the rain, provided that you wear waterproof trousers to funnel the water over the top of the socks.
    After some years of use, the membrane gives up and you are left with a nice warm pair of socks but not waterproof.
    Sealskinz are also good for protecting feet from cold, wet shoes.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    My experience with Sealskins was that they were hot and sweaty.

I don't think you need waterproof socks for going to the pub. Just a pair of dry socks - or no socks at all.
  • I used to use these when mountain biking but then discovered overshoes which are much better for keeping feet dry and warm or if using neoprene ones - wet and warm. They also help keep cycling shoes dry. I've also been known to use plastic bags as well which also work :wink: Also as someone has already mentioned better to take a dry pair of socks to put on later.
  • just to let you all know ,i bought a pair of sealskins of e-bay for around a tenner,used them last week on a very wet and windy tour of scotland,and found them to be brilliant,even though my shoes were soaked through my feet stayed dry and warm for 3 days, loads of standing water around and shoes and legs got soaked as i passed through it but my feet stayed bone dry,would reccommend them to anyone.

regards :P
    He travels fastest who travels alone