Continious Covered Gear Cables

david13
david13 Posts: 32
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Well ive been riding mountain bikes for years, but always bought them, and sometimes improved them, but I never built one from scratch. So this summer Im going to build one from scratch and make it a dream bike.

I was looking at some jagwire stuff, the quickfit hoses for the brake cables and the ripcord gear cable set. I have decided to get them both in Gold to go with a boardman mtb frame that I will get painted in ford performance blue.

There are no breaks in the hydralic brake hose for obvious reasons, so it is a continious gold coloured hose from the brake levers to the calipers.

Now I want the gear cable to have the same look a continious coloured cable from the front of the bike to the rear of the bike, but gear cables are covered on the straight sections of the frame (I assume this is to minamise friction)

But can a continious covered gear cable be done, not only becuase I think that it will finish the bike off better, but also prevent some of the rubbish getting onto the gear cable.

How that made sense

Thanks

David

Comments

• just buy a long length of outers and get some hose guide converters or just use zip ties.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or drill out the stops so the cables pass right through.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Surely this depends on the frame. My On-One Inbred is designed for fully enclosed cables. However, the wife’s Genesis Core and son’s Marin have open gear cables down the main tube and under the bb. I think the worst solution is open cables along the top of the tope tube as Orange R8.
    You can do enclosed cables using cable ties, but these are untidy. You may be able to find some Jagwire stick on cable guides.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Jagwire switch cables come in gold braided and one pack is plenty long enough for full outers, you can use the cable stop converters but i drilled my stops out,much neater imo.
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • I was pleasantly surprised when I got my Inbred to see it could take continuous outer for the rear mech, as long as it's decent cable outer(mine isn't, Clarks but soaked through with teflon lube TF2) I doubt it will be a problem. The old GT had those silly 3 piece ones and I reckon the water/dirt ingress that inevitably happens makes the shifting far less dependable. I even used continuous with the GT last cable change and just cable tied it to the brake hose under the top tube.
  • thelonegroover
    I didn't think Clarks were that bad. I'm not quite sure what mine are on the Inbred, but they seem to work OK.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • madmole
    madmole Posts: 466
    You can do continous even if you use the cable guides, the small break in the cover at that point is too small to let any crud in

But a better solution are 3 layer cables, where the wire is in a thin continous teflon tube for the whole length and the outer can then be cut at the guides

eg Transfil flying Snakes, I've had a set of these on my bike for 4 years now, never lubed or cleaned the cable and still shifts perfectly
    Marin Mount Vision 2005. Fox RL100/RP3. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XTR, Lots of bling

Cervelo S3 2011. Mavic Cosmic Carbonne SLE. RED. Q-rings, lots of bling and very light!
  • david13
    Does anyone know where to get the jagwire stick on cable guides, I have searched high and low and have only been able to find them on US websites.
  • thelonegroover
    How strange, they don't seem to be available in the UK! You may find something similar at B&Q.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • thelonegroover
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • thelonegroover
    I think you've been searching for the wrong thing...
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/m:part-self- ... prod13059/
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • david13
    I seen a few of the m-part ones but if you see the jagwire ones it actually look like someone spend more than 12 seconds designing them

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f76/W ... JAGST8.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they still fall off.

contact Moore and Large as they are the distributors for Jagwire as see if they have brought any into the UK or ask your LBS to look in the M&L catalog.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown