Setting up a club.............

AndyD2574
AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
In process (or trying) to set up a new club.

I am in Glasgow so do I register it with British Cycling or Scottish Cycling as forms and fee's are different?
Do I need to be a BC member before I can register the club?
Do all the new members (of which I hope there will me many) need to be BC members or do they get that when they join club.
What is te process for people joing.......how much do people usually pay?

Hope you can answer some of my questions?

By the way it will be a club in Glasgow.

Ta very much :?
Specialized S Works Venge
Argon18 E114
Specialized Langster Single Speed
Scott Spark Expert 29'er
GT Avalanche
http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk

Comments

• boyfriday
    boyfriday Posts: 103
    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/scotla ... ffiliation

I think all of the information is on this website, and Scottish Cycling will talk you through the process of required.

Firstly, you register with Scottish Cycling who will deal with the British Cycling membership for the club.

The Club Secretary has to be a BC member.

New members don't need to be BC members, and joining a club doesn't automatically get new members a BC membership. This is obtained directly from BC and is required for those wanting to race etc.

As for the process of people joining and how much they pay, well that's down to you and the club to decide. You probably need to decide what type of club you want to be e.g. race team, social club, mountain bike club, or all of the above, and then when you get people to join, they pay a membership sub. This can be less for juniors, students, unemployed etc, but there is no specific requirements for this, and it's up to you to charge a reasonable sum - members will want something for their subs though, so maybe club runs, confined events etc or just something that makes it worthwhile joining.

Hope that this helps.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    And if i were you, to get the club going, i'd defer charging for a year.
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    anto164 wrote:
    Then how will you pay your affiliations ?
    What you do is, you say "anyone joining from 1st Sept is a member for 1 year and 4 months !
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I dunno..

Was just my thoughts to get the club started.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    anto164 wrote:
    Then how will you pay your affiliations ?
    What you do is, you say "anyone joining from 1st Sept is a member for 1 year and 4 months !

I was speaking to guy from Harry Middletons CC the other day about joining them and he said to join it's free, the only thing you have to pay for is insurance through the CTC.

this is the only link i can find for them, might be worth and email seeing how they went about it.

http://hmiddletoncc.21.forumer.com/
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    You are going about this the wrong way,

1. Proclaim yourself the son of god
    2. Spout some random shite from a religious book
    3. Say it's free but take donations
    4. Tell the women that they are evil
    5. Cleanse the women with your holy penis (couple of times a day should do it)
    6. Buy a flash car with your takings
    7. Claim benifits

Good luck
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Doh! Misread the title!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    If money is involved you'll probably have to form some sort of elected commitee with at least a chairman and treasurer and have regular meetings that are minuted. A club bank account will be needed as well to keep club money seperate from private funds. Sounds a lot of faff but need not be too taxing if you keep it simple.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Homer J wrote:
    Doh! Misread the title!

11360.gif
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    What's the point of all these new clubs? We have several 'clubs' associated with bike shops in the area. These 'clubs' may have runs from the shops, but the don't have club nights, club coaches nor do they promote events. If such clubs become the norm then grass root sport in the country is doomed.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • ohara227
    ohara227 Posts: 225
    If in Glasgow with rides in Lanarkshire etc, ill be interested in Joining. Thinking of joining the Law Wheelers which are near me too.

Let me know details by PM please.

All the best with set up!
    'The hills are alive with the sounds of panting'

Rides:

MTB - Giant 2008 Trance X2
    Road - Giant 2010 Defy 2
    Hybrid - Giant Escape 2011 City 2
  • Jonny7c
    Jonny7c Posts: 35
    You could try contacting the National Clarion and setting up a 'Clarion' section in your area with their help. I don't know the detail of exactly how it all works but they seem to looking to expand their membership. West Lothian Clarion is a fairly new club I think that seems to have been succesful in forming and growing pretty quickly - perhaps you could get in touch with them?

http://www.clarioncc.org/join_clarion.html
    http://www.westlothianclarion.co.uk/

I'm a recent addition to the Calder Clarion in West Yorkshire myself and have thoroughly enjoyed club runs, TTs plus the odd audax or longer ride with the club.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    What's wrong with the existing clubs in the area?
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.