Noisy new SLX Brakes - any advice please

offshore1
offshore1 Posts: 30
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have just bought a new bike fitted with Rockshox Recon Gold RL fork (120mm 20mm axle + taper) and Shimano SLX brakes (180mm F / 160mm R rotors).

Thats a cut and paste from the bike spec - its the first time I have owned a bike with disk brakes, and dont know anything about them.

On my first serious run, the front brake area is making quite a severe screaching / grating when I AM TRAVELLLING DOWNHILL AT MEDIUM TO FAST SPEED.

It doesnt make this noise during normal travel and my inexperienced eye hasnt yet seen anything looking amiss.

Could anybody please suggest what the problem is???

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so have you bothered to have a look at the topics on this subject in the FAQs? try that first.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • offshore1
    You stupid sad little prat.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    have you bedded the brakes in ? (there is a grime time for that)

take out the pads is there poop on them ?

swop them for sintered pads ? (superstar)

otherwise they are just bedding the slow way and the noise will go
  • offshore1
    Thanks Estampida.

Perhaps the brakes are bedding in, but what confused me was that it was very much more severe when I was going downhill.

At a similar speed on the horizontal there was little or no noise.

I wondered if it was something to do with the brake housing arrangement being affected by the fork being compressed - as though something had been installed incorrectly / tensioned / adjusted.

I need to inspect the fork again - and the pads as you suggest.
  • nicklouse
    offshore1 wrote:

so i take it you have not read the FAQs then?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • bungalballs
    bungalballs Posts: 193
    I had a similar problem when my bike was new - although my Brakes are Elixirs, it could be the same thing.

When my brakes were hot, e.g. downhill sections, the brakes would screech/grate, then for a while afterwards would warble like a grumpy turkey.

I used a piece of sand paper (the stuff you get in puncture repair kits is about the right grade) and sanded off the face of the pads to get rid of the sheen, made sure the edges were smooth, and also sanded down the leading edge very slightly to give a 45degree angle. The noise dissapeared straight away.

I have to do this each time I get new pads or the turkey returns!
  • nicklouse
    Bungalballs
    what is happening is you are exceeding the heat capacity of the pads and they are glazing over.

again have a read of the info in the FAQs for solutions.
  • offshore1
    I think you could be on to something.

I was travelling just as fast on the flat, but the brakes were used for less time than going downhill I suppose. I did get a bit of the post grumpy turkey too.

I assumed the problem was fork compression / brake mounting related, but very possibly not.

Thanks for the replies
  • bungalballs
    bungalballs Posts: 193
    Hi Nicklouse,

I'm not convinced it's heat related; the noise is only when pads are new, and once sanded the noise never comes back through the life of the pad. I got the discs so hot on runs in Morzine that I could smell them when travelling at speed the discs discoloured. No turkeys until I eventually replaced pads whist over there, then same thing, until sanded, and problem hasn't come back...

Offshore - let me know how you get on!
  • nicklouse
    then I put it down to incorrect bedding in which has cause a glazing over.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    offshore1 wrote:
    Well, that's not a sensible way to go about things if you want advice. If you did what Nick said then you'd already have your problem sorted. :roll: People are helping you out of the goodness of their heart, so don't be a d*ick :wink:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I thought he was referring to himself for not looking at FAQ's
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    cooldad wrote:
    I thought he was referring to himself for not looking at FAQ's
    If only :roll: :D