T de F yellow jersey stuff

JamesB
JamesB Posts: 1,184
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
How do they get it ready for next wearer, ie yellow bike, yellow whelmet, yellow team kit etc etc
Is it prepared for likely users in advance or is someone up all night doing it ?

Noted Cadel only with yellow jersey + BMC logo nothing else yellow, but Voeckler (a hero :) ) had everything in yellow

Comments

• anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Cadel had everything yellow, just that he changed his bike about 20km into the race. His team all changed into yellow oakleys too!

As for changing everything, the mechs and team work hard into the night to get everything together. As for getting the sponsors correct on the jerseys, i can only imagine that they have a portable lable press (I.e. an iron and some stick on transfers) for the teams sponsors when it comes to the jersey presentations.
  • JamesB
    Yes noticed his teams yellow Oakleys; bit like Contadors I suipect; didn`t see his bike change though, just last few laps around Champs d`Elysee
  • What I want to know is why the presentation jerseys fasten at the back and the riding jerseys fasten at the front..... Which one does the rider keep?
    All hail the FSM and his noodly appendage!
  • esspeebee
    esspeebee Posts: 174
    Probably relevant. In that case at least, they prepared it specially overnight.
  • StageWinner
    StageWinner Posts: 202
    What I want to know is why the presentation jerseys fasten at the back and the riding jerseys fasten at the front..... Which one does the rider keep?

Both really. There are several podium ones (fasten at back).They are signed and given away to sponsors, etc. Occasionally you will see TV coverage of the yellow jersey winner for the day signing a stack of them before being presented with the one he is given on the podium.

The one he wears (fasten at front) is his to wear, auction off, etc. There will be probably just one of those per day.

They are not iron-on, they are die sublimation printed and are done after the podium presentation in time for racing the next day.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    If a team has someone who may be a contender for yellow they may be complacent enough to bring a yellow frame with them. Yellow glasses, helmets etc? Same thing.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • JamesB
    f a team has someone who may be a contender for yellow they may be complacent enough to bring a yellow frame with them. Yellow glasses, helmets etc? Same thing

yes that was what I was enquiring about really, will Contador have had a yelloe bike hidden away somewhere, although info about Voecklers Colnago makes me think they must be prepared when needed at a rush
  • StageWinner
    StageWinner Posts: 202
    JamesB wrote:
    f a team has someone who may be a contender for yellow they may be complacent enough to bring a yellow frame with them. Yellow glasses, helmets etc? Same thing

yes that was what I was enquiring about really, will Contador have had a yelloe bike hidden away somewhere, although info about Voecklers Colnago makes me think they must be prepared when needed at a rush

Some teams would have frame prepared in yellow (or maybe green in Cav's case) in advance. Then they just build them up overnight if needed. Same with all the kit (helmets, glasses, etc).

I say good on Cadel for choosing to ride his normal bike to the finish line and not the yellow one he started the final stage on.

The yellow jerseys and skin suits are provided by the Tour organisers to the rider each day, so they can't be prepared in advance.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Anyone know who the first rider was to have a specially sprayed frame ready for him to go with the various jerseys?
    I remember seeing Cipo with both green & yellow frames, when I went to the TdF, can't remember which year.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Can imagine it being Cippo who started it all, he was a complete poseur like that. I personally don't like it, especially the KoM stuff as you can certainly have too much of polka dots (even the KoM podium girls look hideous in their outfits).
  • To do the podium shirts they have a guy with a van that has a sublimation printing machine set up in it so they can knock them out as they know the results.

I would hazard a guess any team that thinks they stand a chance of getting a Jersey has bikes and bits with them when the Tour starts and use as and when required.

Credit to the mechanics though, as Phil says in Chasing Legends, bloody hard working mob with long hours.
  • usedtobefast
    usedtobefast Posts: 145
    The current copy of CW has a small side piece in it's tour coverage section that explains all this.

Can't remember the piece exactly but there's a guy in a white van with an industrial size ironing press that irons the team sponsor details on to the different jerseys, and the presentation jerseys fasten at the back because it helps speed up the whole presentation process.

I'm sure I read that they (the Tour) carry every jersey (yellow, grenn, white etc) in every size and for every team but I think these are the presentation ones.
    Trainee BC level 2 coach ... and that's offical (30th June 2013)

Scott Addict R4 (2008)
    Scott Genius MC30 (2006)
    Quest carbon circa 1994 - winter bike
    Fuji Track Comp 2010
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Pross wrote:
    Can imagine it being Cippo who started it all, he was a complete poseur like that. I personally don't like it, especially the KoM stuff as you can certainly have too much of polka dots (even the KoM podium girls look hideous in their outfits).

Yeah, when I was watching yesterday I got to thinking that the podium girls would look better without their outfits too...
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    anto164 wrote:
    Cadel had everything yellow.

No he didn't. He had standard team issue black shorts.

Oakley's rep would have several pairs of glasses to hand to whichever of their teams had a rider in yellow.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.