Wide bars for Cannock?

ifindoubtflatout
ifindoubtflatout Posts: 132
edited August 2011 in Routes
Iam heading down to Cannock to ride xc at the weekend for the first time. Now a mate of mine has said that my 760 cowhorns maybe a tad too wide. Do I need to switch my bars or will I get away with it? Cheers.

Comments

• Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    Serious caution should be taken !

There are sections of both trails where them bars will probably be too wide to fit between the trees as I was being cautious over the FTD yesterday with 710mm bars ! And 760mm on XC, sheesh :lol:
  • Daerve
    Daerve Posts: 33
    There is one section where the infamous werewolf drop is located. The drop itself isn't difficult at all but the entry to the drop is between 2 trees with very little room after a tight turn. It's very difficult to get lined up correctly and wide bars may make it very difficult indeed.

There are also some sections that are rather tight through the forest where you may struggle with those bars. I'm not saying it's not possible but you will certainly struggle on some bits.
  • Cheers for the heads up lads. :D

I'll put my 710's on then :( .Dont want to be tree hugging.
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    I did cannock with 745's and had a few interesting moments with the trees. Wouldn't like to do it with any wider !
  • darren555
    darren555 Posts: 194
    The narrowest trees are on the Monkey Trail after the first switchback climb. It is a fair bit tighter than the Weirwolf Drop.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Can get round with 760s but your aim has to be accurate! Have been clotheslined several times & Werewolf is particularly tricky.
  • Alan P
    Alan P Posts: 127
    It always makes me giggle when I see the gouges in the trees where folk have caught their bars :lol:
    Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
    Canyon Grand Canyon AL29 (2013)
  • .blitz
    :oops:
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Thats cos all the people who test rode the trail had sissy bikes with narrow bars :p
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    My first ride over cannock on my hardtail involved clipping the tree's on the FTD on more than one occasion despite having skinnier bars than now.

Weirwolf drop could be my favourite place to sit and have a picnic and watch people who dare ride down such a steep *cough* slope. Every time I ride it there always seems like a few guy's hanging back weighing up the risk just as I pull up and plough straight down it :lol:
  • I have a set of renthal fatbars, which i have cut down to 765mm, but reading this looks like they are gonna be to big for FTD what size would you recommend, as if needed i will cut them shorter!
  • .blitz
    As above your will get round with 765s but your aim has to be accurate. Plenty of scars on the trees - if you get it wrong you won't be the first or the last :)
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    As Darren says, narrowest bit is just after the first climb once you've crossed the road.....

580mm flats ftw. Anything else is just frivolous :D
  • Well it was a couple of weeks ago since we went and managed to get round with 710's on without any fuss. maybe next time I wil leave my cowhorns on. :lol: