Front mech shifting problem

davethedoo
davethedoo Posts: 69
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

hoping some of you experts can help.

Fitted new gear cables and a front mech to a 1995 Rockhopper. The Mech is a 7 speed Alivio.

A new chain has also been fitted.

I am having great difficulty getting the middle ring to change over to the big ring. If i go straight from the small ring to the big ring it will move without issue. When in the middle and try to move up it just rattles and will not budge.

I am convinced the Low and High screws are perfect and have experimented to the bitter end with them. I have also moved the cage slightly either way to no avail.

I have changed the tension in the cable more times than I have had hot dinners. I have also move the cage by hand without the cable and find the same issue.

My only observation is that the big ring is slightly worn....no chain slip when I am cycling hard though.

Any help will be gratefully received....my next option after this is my LBS but I hate being defeated.

Many thanks

Dave

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like a combination of incorrect low stop screw setting and therefor cable tension.

start again from the beginning.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown