SPOTY 2011 Campaign must start now

Mendip rouleur
Mendip rouleur Posts: 163
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
Strolling around a golf course for a few days?

Ageing footballers past their best?

Sitting in hi-tech cars and driving fast?

None of these are a patch on what Cavendish has achieved in the past 12 months. He also has the defining, and requisite, characteristic of being a sports-person with a personality.

Surely he must be a shoe-in for SPOTY this year?
“I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle.”

http://mendiprouleur.blogspot.com/

Comments

• marksteven
    marksteven Posts: 208
    it'l prob be giggs again
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I'd give one to Peta Todd.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    The OP beat me to it, surely Cav's got to get it now!
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Strolling around a golf course for a few days?

Ageing footballers past their best?

Sitting in hi-tech cars and driving fast?

None of these are a patch on what Cavendish has achieved in the past 12 months. He also has the defining, and requisite, characteristic of being a sports-person with a personality.

Surely he must be a shoe-in for SPOTY this year?

Rory McIlroy will win SPOTY.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    He'd have a better chance if he won the worlds.

After all, that's broadcast on the BBC.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    He'd have a better chance if he won the worlds.

After all, that's broadcast on the BBC.

This ^^^^

the green jersey means nothing to the general British public... he wins the worlds in denmark and he has a chance....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    SPOTY is a naff out of date award.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Darren Clark would be my tip.

As said above, the worlds would be the only thing to put Cav in the frame. For all their merits, green jerseys and stage wins are only cameo parts in the main event.
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    SPOTY is a naff out of date award.

Except when Sir Chris Hoy won it. When Giggs won it was more like a lifetime acheivement award, and we all know what he'd been acheiving in the meantime.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Surely including the word 'personality' is a little misleading ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Smokin Joe wrote:

+1
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Smokin Joe wrote:

+1

Am I the only one who had to google Darren Clark?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Ah, the time of year when people come out in force to rubbish the achievements of those at the top of other sports (with no understanding of what they have to put themselves through) has arrived early this year!
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Cav would have to win the Worlds or the Olympic road race to have a shout, even then it would be tough, unless British football, golf, tennis and motor racing had a rubbish year.

Personally I imagine that it's about as important to Cav as winning a stage at the Tour of Turkey, nice but not essential.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Smokin Joe wrote:

+1

Am I the only one who had to google Darren Clark?
    +1
    As far as I can tell, he's either a golfer, retired Australian sprinter, Consultant
    Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon or a joiner.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Ah, the time of year when people come out in force to rubbish the achievements of those at the top of other sports (with no understanding of what they have to put themselves through) has arrived early this year!

Not really, just poetic licence. I know all these guys work very hard at what they do, but I think Cycling in general and Cavendish in particular, do not get the recognition that they deserve from the general public.
    “I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle.”

http://mendiprouleur.blogspot.com/
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Ah, the time of year when people come out in force to rubbish the achievements of those at the top of other sports (with no understanding of what they have to put themselves through) has arrived early this year!

Not really, just poetic licence. I know all these guys work very hard at what they do, but I think Cycling in general and Cavendish in particular, do not get the recognition that they deserve from the general public.

Cycling is not "mainstream" in this country so he will struggle.

I feel a good glow when I manage to get them to put it on the tv in the local pub. It really upsets some of the numpties. :lol::lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Unles McIlroy goes out and wins his second major at the USPGA then Darren Clarke is almost certain to win it in my opinion.

His story has everything: he's very popular, first British winner of The Open in over a decade, he has had tragedy in his recent past, he has previously been a Ryder Cup hero, he was a massive underdog, he's never won a major before, he won with style and grace, he celebrated with passion (and lots of Guiness), he is very much an "everyman", he has no shortage of personality.

That and, like it or not, golf has a bigger following than cycling in the UK.

It will take a lot to beat him this year.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur