Foot pain - please help

sampras38
sampras38 Posts: 1,917
edited September 2011 in The workshop
Hi all,

Just after a bit of advice really, or some tips to try. I'm a fairly seasoned cyclist in that I tend to get golds in most of my Sportives and have spent a week in the alps every year for the last 4 years. So well used to riding distances with a lot of climbing.

I'm getting a bit of discomfort on my right foot after about 50 or 60 odd miles (where the arrow is pointing in the image). It must be cleat position because I've had it with 3 different shoes. Currently using Sidi's and love them, but can't quite get my right foot in the right place on the pedal to get rid of the pain. I've also tried adding another sidi insole and it helps, but the discomfort is still there. I'll also wear 2 socks on the right foot to help.

My right foot is every so slightly smaller than the left (half a size).

Any advice much appreciated..

5969774158_4929636baa_z.jpg

That's not my foot in the pic, just an image I found on the web.

Comments

• Have you tried strapping some padding to it?

If you're looking to eliminate the pain long term then I'm not sure what you can do that doesn't involve giving up cycling :(
  • sampras38
    Have you tried strapping some padding to it?

If you're looking to eliminate the pain long term then I'm not sure what you can do that doesn't involve giving up cycling :(

I did try a thick sticky plaster once and it helped, and that's probably what I'll have to end up using. Just seems a bit much do do it every ride. I do tend to ride hilly routes most of the time and I'm sure that doesn't help. I doubt it makes much difference but my pedals are look keo carbons.

Or some other make of insole...Specialized perhaps?

I guess the most extreme solution would be a smaller Sidi shoe that but's way over the top. It's just I'm doing the Marmotte next year and the last thing I need is a sore foot.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    A rather silly question, perhaps, but what happens when you move your cleat?
    I.e. does it always stay, no matter what position your cleat is in? When did the problem develop?

One thing to think about is that you want to position your cleat relative to your foot, not your shoe. Many people line their cleats up so they're level on the soles of both shoes, but if your feet are different sizes then the cleats will need to be in different places on each shoe.

Another thing to think about is you might conceivably have a broken bone in your foot. I'm certain that I've broken some before, and was almost always fine, until I went running. Then it started hurting quite quickly.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • If you get one of those crepe bandages and use it to strap the foot then it'll add about 5 minutes to your prep time.

I'd do that until I figured out a better solution. Not a bad stopgap at £2.59 I reckon.

Above suggestion about cleat position seems something worth looking into.
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Corns/Bunions/Stress Fracture? See a podiatrist, seriously, our feet take in a pounding in life.

Similarly, if you cycle as much as you say then you're spending a lot of time (and effort) in very stiff soled shoes. Make an effort to wear soft soled shoes when off the bike or even bare feet.

Waring: Even with a confirmed medical condition wearing socks and sandals is just weird :)
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • sampras38
    davis wrote:
    A rather silly question, perhaps, but what happens when you move your cleat?
    I.e. does it always stay, no matter what position your cleat is in? When did the problem develop?

One thing to think about is that you want to position your cleat relative to your foot, not your shoe. Many people line their cleats up so they're level on the soles of both shoes, but if your feet are different sizes then the cleats will need to be in different places on each shoe.

Another thing to think about is you might conceivably have a broken bone in your foot. I'm certain that I've broken some before, and was almost always fine, until I went running. Then it started hurting quite quickly.

I have tried moving the cleat and have also had a professional bike fit (BikeWhisperer). I think because of the difference in foot size, I only have so much movement in the cleat on the right foot before the cleat won't move any further. And to the other question about my foot being broken...no..it's fine. I can play 3-4 hour tennis matches with no discomfort.

I think a bandage or plaster is going to be my only option, unless I go real extreme and buy a smaller pair of sidi's for the right foot.
  • sampras38
    Corns/Bunions/Stress Fracture? See a podiatrist, seriously, our feet take in a pounding in life.

Similarly, if you cycle as much as you say then you're spending a lot of time (and effort) in very stiff soled shoes. Make an effort to wear soft soled shoes when off the bike or even bare feet.

Waring: Even with a confirmed medical condition wearing socks and sandals is just weird :)

I tend to wear flip flops round the house when it's not cold.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    If this is an ongoing problem, ask your GP for a referral to a podiatrist. I went to one a few years ago as I had problem with pain in my left foot (non cycling) that had gone on for a few years. They scanned the bottom of my feet then made custom insoles that changed by millimetres the angle of my heal and gave support to my arch. After just a few weeks wearing said insoles problem went away and has never come back.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sampras38
    thanks all.
  • sampras38
    Ended up selling my Sidi's to a friend and bought a smaller pair. Took out the standard insoles and put in a different brand and pain went away. Done a few 100 mile sportives since and all is fine.