New to eBay - Any Advice

Secteur
Secteur Posts: 1,971
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
Hello,

I have just set up an eBay account to try and sell some bits and bobs we dont use.

I believe there's certain times when it's better to list an item so it ends at popular times, butI cant remember where I read this or the details.

Also, I'm sure I read somewhere that it's free to list on a weekend or at a certain time?

Any other listing tips?

Many thanks.[/quote]

Comments

• godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Sunday afternoon or evening are a good time to end an auction although if there's a big football match on or some other big event on TV you might want to take that into account. Also if you start the auction on a Thursday and run for 10 days the auction will run through two weekends.

If it's something you're confident there's a market for then start bidding at 0.99p.

For smaller items I quite often offer free p&p, this is very attractive to buyers and you often end up with a selling price that's good enough to cover your p&p costs anyway. For example I have a guitar pedal that's on sale and due to end in a couple of hours. One exactly the same went for £33 earlier today with £5.00 stated for postage. Mine's at £37 already and I would expect it to go a little higher.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Even for bigger items offer p&p - I think most of us aren't too interested in collection only items and would pay for the convenience of having an item shipped. More faff for you, but that's the way to increase your market.

parcel2go are a good way of getting quotes & booking collections.

btw if it's a brand new ebay account you're going to put off alot of bidders. I wouldn't be giving my hard earned to someone with no feedback. Get some feedback first by buying things then start selling cheap items first.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Ebay also sends out regular announcements of when there are free listings available, so that you know when to list everything to save some cash.

Also don't set reserves rediculously high, if you do set a reserve at all!
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    My point was about offering free P&P for smaller items. I agree that for bigger items it's worthwhile offering to arrange for delivery (at the buyers cost).

Oh and the pedal went for £44! :D
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    mr_si wrote:
    btw if it's a brand new ebay account you're going to put off alot of bidders. I wouldn't be giving my hard earned to someone with no feedback. Get some feedback first by buying things then start selling cheap items first.

It's a brand new account, but there's nothing we want to buy, so will just have to keep fingers crossed it doesnt put anyone off.

It's only small, low value stuff we're selling anyway.