Spesh Nimbus - how heavy?

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Been offered some Nimbus at a good price, anyone know how fast rolling/heavy/p-proof or prone they are? My size is 26x1.5 but I'll take suggestions based on 700c users!

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    mate had them and said they were good...and quick and from memory he didn't have a puncture ....they have very good reviews as well. Only think I would say is that 1.5" width is pretty chuncky and will slow you down.

I run Schwable Marathones as their tougher...but little heavier which is perfect for communitng....the Nimbus have thinner walls so wont be a tough....horses for courses really !
  • clu
    clu Posts: 89
    Although I use a road bike to commute to and from work with a set of continental gatorskins on it, I currently have a mountain bike that I use to get around Bristol on (shopping, cycle into city center, etc...) with those tyres but with their armadillo feature.

I've had them on my bike now for about 2 years and they've never failed me once, not even one puncture, they still have loads of life/tread left in them. They were put on to replace the same set of tyres (again specialized nimbus armadillo) that I wore out which were again very reliable.

When the tyres wear out again, I'll put another set of the same tyres on again. I'll agree that they are heavy, but I like the reliability and predictability of them and how long they last. They can be a bit tough to get on and off the wheel, but I haven't had to take them off the wheel, only when the previous set needed to be replaced. I find that they roll quite well, never struggled at all with them. You just need to ensure that the tyre pressure is set to what is stated on the sidewall of the tyre.

Other people will probably recommend other tyres, but for me I prefer these tyres and will continue to use them.
    2004 Trek 5500 OCLV
    2014 Cervelo R3 Black/Blue
    2018 Cervelo R3 Disc Navy/Red
    2018 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Grey
    2020 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Matte Navy
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    1.5" suites my commute, the country lanes are poorly surfaced and people I know using 700c in 23/25 width and slowing down in places to keep the fillings in......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    1.5" suites my commute, the country lanes are poorly surfaced and people I know using 700c in 23/25 width and slowing down in places to keep the fillings in......

Simon

lol....can understand where your comming from ! In that case I'd say go for it...esp as their a good buy :D