moonio
moonio Posts: 802
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Great cycling blog from a female perspective here
http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... iding.html

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Two main bikes, firstly the commute, SS speed, which I also use for road riding and even pressed into mild cyclecross stuff, muddly tracks and such.

and for proper off roadng I use my MTB with big spike tyres.

so 2 though I have a old roadie in the shed who is doing zip. rather a waste.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    one at the moment, tried to ride two but couldnt quite manage it.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689

My old Peugeot steel, from the 80's which I like pootling around on but is in need of attention.
    Giant Defy for the wet days and commuting.
    Cube Agree GTC Race for good weather club rides etc.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    2 and it wont be any more in the near future as I've no room to store any more.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    4....oh wait 5...and working on another...woops slightly excessive !
    actually just like the article generally its the weather / sessions that dictate what I ride....wouldn't want to ride my best race bike through the winter !
    Use a cyclocross bike in the winter for commuting and just built a new race bike for commuting in the summer......not really needed I grant but hey I get bored easily :shock:
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    I'd agree that three would seem to be an optimum. I have a city bike that I use for the groceries or just nipping down the road without having to put on clipless pedals, I use my mtb/touring bike for longer distance riding in the city 2 or 3 times a week, and I have my road bike for sunday rides and weekends away.

My fixie has been lying unused for quite a few months - no big reason, I just haven't had the urge to brush off the dust and use it, and I haven't had the time recently to go mountain biking, so that one is sitting awaiting some abuse.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I have just the one bike these days, the Trek 7.5FX wsd. My old road bike met with a bit of a nasty end when I was knocked off the bike and the frame bent. Yet to replace it.

At the moment I am happy with just the one bike, it does everything I need as I am not yet ready to get back onto a road bike although it will happen again some day.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    Only one at a time....

I have 3 but one is more-or-less retired. It is weather and shopping that determine whether I use the roadie or the hybrid; I prefer the roadie but want to keep it clean and the hybrid is a better load carrier.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Currently I have the commuter and MTB as primary bikes and my old Townsend MTB as a pub bike, but I'm just starting the rebuild of a late 90's Gary Fisher MTB which will replace the Townsend!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Joey1986
    Joey1986 Posts: 23
    Three: a 140mm full suss. for trailer centre/harsh rides, an older 100mm hardtail for distance/winter riding; and a 120mm ti hardtail for all round use.
  • stratblue
    stratblue Posts: 32
    I'm on an old ish trek madone 5.2, with a Trek Rumblefish 2 for the off road stuff and a Kinesis frame I bought and decorated with an old ultegra group set for the winter miles.
    Trek Madone 5.9, Trek Rumblefish 2, Kinesis Racelight T for the rain and a Kawasaki ZX12 R.
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311

My cube road bike
    Planet x tt bike
    Winter ride 501 raleigh (not sure what model)
    Giant mtb with child seat for family run outs
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    4 soon to be 5

brompton
    condor pista fixed, main commuting bike
    condor squadra
    Mills fixed pretty riding precious bike

Dolan Champion track bike just waiting for the wheels to arrive
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Ridgeback storm hybrid
    On-one inbred MTB
    Ribble winter (commuter)
    Ribble carbon sportive (best)
    Trek 1.7 (sportive)
    Dave Quinn 531 hand-built steel racer
    Dolan multicross CX

and soon my London commuter SS MTB beater
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    2 plus a CX that's in the process of being built up, hopefully have it on the road next weekend, well assuming I can decide on bar tape colour
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    2 although when I called to add the second one to the insurance, the woman mentioned that I could have up to 9 under that policy :shock: although not sure then where I'd eat or sleep.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Two, soon to be three.

MTB (old school Trek 6700 hadtail) for off road, Road bike (Giant Defy 3) for, uh, roads. I just need a seatpost, saddle, chain tensioner and some bar tape to finish my single speed steel Spesh Rockhopper with drops, which will be my bad weather commuter/errand bike.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    My belt fixie gets all the miles at the moment, but CAADX 105 arriving shortly for more towpath and distance riding. Carerra Vanquish pretty much unused as just not as much of a grin maker - I may well tweak it into a flat barred pub racer.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Technically 2 - the Cube as commuter and the Duster as MTB but I've just acquired a Bike Friday Pocket Llama as my touring bike
  • 4, and all ridden in the past fortnight.

Raleigh Randonneur tourer - main commuter
    Thorn Sterling - do anything rohloff geared
    Custom designed titanium audax style - used for sportifs and day rides
    Folder - used to accompany 6 year old, and stick in the boot for mixed commutes

This covers most of the cycling that I regularly do. Can't imagine having fewer now.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Four:
    Dahon Cadenza- commuting/'hack' bike. I have done a century on it, bit of a tank (13.5 kg) but rides well and the folding's coming handy as well.
    Condor Squadra: Deputy road bike. Proved a brilliant, and essential buy- ended up doing the (not) E2E on it as the Viner was out of action.
    Viner Magnifica- Best bike. Yes, it's been back to Italy to get fixed twice (the first repair failed), but I love the thing. Fast yet smooth. The Squadra's a great bike, but it's just in a different league.

And the new addition: Dahon Speed Pro TT, just picked it up yesterday. Currently off the road as it needs a few parts. Deputy commuter/third choice road bike/first choice folder. Hopefully keeping the back of the field honest in a heat of the 2012 London Nocturne folding bike races.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    3 really, 4 in stable

Ghost roadie or Gary Fisher h/tail mtb for commuting & Scott Spark for MTB fun :D

Commencal is over in Ireland for ragging there :) But not there too often :(
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    5 (the real optimum!)

Look 585 - the posh bike for sportives and fair weather riding
    Ribble Gran Fondo - 3 season commuter plus some weekend rides
    Dawes Horizon (1990) - winter commuter and touring
    Orange P7 - extreme commuter and mtb'ing
    Raleigh Record Ace (1980) - classic class (lives at my parents for when I visit).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    I now have two - but these are insufficient and I'm really lacking a winter bike now.

But I don't have space in the flat what with Mrs HamishD's bike too. I think the only solution is to move to a house with more storage space.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861

2011 Specialized Tricross (Commuter)
    2007 Kona Stinky (downhill bike)
    1996 Scott Tampico (old school hardtail)
    2007 Trek 3000 i think
    1950 Royal Enfield Bullet (really really old school roadie - work in progress)
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    An Enfield Bullet? I didn't know they'd given bicycles the same moniker, cool!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180

my look 695 for training rides/racing
    my aeron for training/commuting

unfortunately i havent got the time to go off road so my CX has had its bars turned and pedals removed.

even more unfortunate was the fact that i was missing loads of bits when building my aeron so i had to steal them from my fixie. so that is now missing:
    seat, brakes, pedals, tyres, tubes...
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    SimonAH wrote:
    An Enfield Bullet? I didn't know they'd given bicycles the same moniker, cool!

im still trying to decide what to do with it to be honest.....SS, fixie or restore retro classic
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    None - It's broken.

Arrrgghhhhh
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5