The best domestiques

retired_protegee
retired_protegee Posts: 12
edited July 2011 in Pro race
OK, hypothetical situation. You're a GC rider going in to the Tour and can select 8 domestiques from throughout history, who do you pick and why?

Rules: don't go naming riders that are GC contenders/winners in their own right (e.g. no Merckx, Hinault etc) unless they served a long time as a domestique (Kloden, Vinokorouv)
if you can't name 8 just name ones that come in to your head.

I'll name a few of my favourites to get us started:
Jens Voigt
Fabian Cancellara
George Hincapie
Sean Yates

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Piere Rolland.
  • AO1504
    AO1504 Posts: 57
    George Hincapie
    Stuart O'Grady
    Jens Voigt
    Chechu Rubiera
    Vjatchelsav Ekimov

and from a wee bit further back
    Sean Yates
    Raul Alcala
    José Luis Arrieta
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The one who made the most sacrifice for his leader was probably Apo Lazarides (Google his name +Rene Vietto +toe).

George Hincapie must have the best palmares (races he's helped to win, not won himself) of anyone since the days of Merckx.

One I remember from my formative years as a cycling fan was Eddy Schepers, Stephen Roche's right hand man.

Five more:

Bernard Eisel (aka Mrs Cavendish)
    Jose Azevedo
    Stuart O'Grady
    Miguel Indurain (1990). That's cheating isn't it?
    Sean Yates

(An Anglophone bias, but that's because I hear about them more)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ascurrell
    ascurrell Posts: 1,739
    Miguel Indurain
    Before his own success he was tremendous for Pedro Delgado.

Geraint Thomas
    to me he's already shown he's a great domestique and will also mgo on to great things
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Vin Denson, just 'cos he seems a nice guy
  • peterst6906
    peterst6906 Posts: 530
    Stuart O'Grady
    Andrea Carrea
    Jose Luis Arrieta
    George Hincapie

Just those 4 would do me, so the rest of the team could e anyone as long as I had those ones.
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    Robert Millar should be in there. Probably Rene Vietto also.

Possibly Sean Yates and Phil Sherwen.
    I think that the Italian teams of the 40's and 50's would throw up some serious contenders
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,204
    Tiralongo
    Cancellara
    Alcala
    Rooks
    Voigt
    Yates
    Miller
    Hincapie
  • Team Captain: Faster Cyclist
    Lieutenants: Vinokourov
    Cancellara
    Domestiques: Voight
    Navarro
    T.Martin
    Hincapie
    Hagen
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    good thread a few people have sat down in the mess and watched the tour with me. the amount of people who don't know its a team sport and the role of dom's is around 95%. domestiquesare's are the unsong heros in my book
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Kelly's domestique, Ronan "Ronny" Onghena. A bit like Kevin Hulsmans riding for Boonen - perhaps not strong in the way that a Hincapie or Voigt is, but a hard-working rider whose main job was to help his leader keep his spirits up and the pressure off.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • petejuk
    petejuk Posts: 235
    A good topic....
    Hincapie and Voigt are the standout domestiques for me. Rolland has been amazing this year and agree that Geraint Thomas is a true teamworker. I'd also say Navarro but he hasn't really been that good in this year's tour.
  • Yeah, Voigt, Navarro, Hincapie... You definitely want people like that on your team. OK, here are 8 unsung heroes from the past:

-Eddy Schepers (Roche's life insurance)

-Niki Ruttimann (earned no less than Hinault's respect)

-Jens Heppner (Team Telekom's workhorse)

-François Lemarchand (Robert Millar's caretaker at Fagor and Z)

-Theo DeRooy (Panasonic's finest)

Thomas Wegmuller (Sean Kelly's spare diesel engine)

-Neil Stephens (atta grafter)

-Dag Otto Lauritzen (a real team player)
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Jose Vicente Garcia Acosta - missed his 'smiling' face this year.
    Shame Hulsmans moved on from Quickstep 'cos he was another one to look out for riding for miles on the front of the peloton.
    'Big' (sorry!) Bert Grabsch too.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,794
    Gerard Rue..

Pierre Roland for this tour

stuart O grady did a lot of pulling....
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    OK, of the current peloton, if I was a tour contender I'd have:

Cancellara - there's a reason Andy didn't get caught up in the 1st week crashes and it's not to do with Andy, and he's pretty useful if you get caught up on some sh!tty flat stage and need to chase back.

Navarro & Szmyd - obviously, for when the road points upwards.

I'd have Tosatto (though maybe the Tosatto for a few years back) since a) he can race Italian roads, b) he moves through the peloton very well and c) he's perfect for the donkey work in the first 100km which you don't see on TV.

Millar - you need at least 2 TTers incase they throw in some rubbish TTT.

Vansummeren - was a scandal he wasn't in the Tour - strong as an Ox and is OK when it points upwards too.

Tankink - for morale...
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,794
    yeah chinny kept those boys in the race week 1
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Guy Nulens, 1980-1994.

Hincapie has only this year surpassed Nulens as 'domestique with the most Tour appearances', Hincapie 16, Nulens 15.
    If you're not much good as a domestique, you don't get into double figures in Tour appearances, because of when it comes to team selection.

Other names not in the list so far: Didier Rous and, especially, Udo Bölts.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Definitely Yates and Hincapie at the top of the list. Maybe Philippe Leleu.

Worst ever? Damiano Cunego. John Gadret.
  • rick_chasey
    donrhummy wrote:

Armstrong.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Fairly random 8:

Marc Wauters
    Wilfried Peeters
    Johan van der Velde
    Andrea Tafi
    Giovanni Lombardi
    Eddy Schepers
    Jens Voigt
    George Hincapie
  • FJS wrote:
    Fairly random 8:

Marc Wauters
    Wilfried Peeters
    Johan van der Velde
    Andrea Tafi
    Giovanni Lombardi
    Eddy Schepers
    Jens Voigt
    George Hincapie

It's funny you should mention Johan Van Der Velde. Could you be possibly referring to the 1980 Tour de France, when he worked for Joop Zoetemelk? Or maybe at the WC with the Dutch team? Yeah, he could be a team player at times but other than that, Van Der Velde was anything but a domestique. At Ti-Raleigh he was Peter Post's blue-eyed boy and, basically, would only do what he wanted to do. He also spent 5 seasons racing for Italian teams and let me tell you that down there he was seen as the leader (I mean an old school kind of leader) and would only act accordingly.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    donrhummy wrote:

Armstrong.

If you were unscrupulous, Armstrong would be good for his...connections...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    It's funny you should mention Johan Van Der Velde. Could you be possibly referring to the 1980 Tour de France, when he worked for Joop Zoetemelk? Or maybe at the WC with the Dutch team? Yeah, he could be a team player at times but other than that, Van Der Velde was anything but a domestique. At Ti-Raleigh he was Peter Post's blue-eyed boy and, basically, would only do what he wanted to do. He also spent 5 seasons racing for Italian teams and let me tell you that down there he was seen as the leader (I mean an old school kind of leader) and would only act accordingly.
    Yes, I thaught of his Zoetemelk-supporting years as an early example of the super-domestique copied later in Lemond, Vino, Kloden, etc
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    I would say O'Grady would be up there, plus he is a pretty honest guy.

In our local paper here in South Aust, O'Grady spoke about the Tour. He is quoted as telling the Schlecks that Evans perfectly suited the time trial course and that he would get 2 mins on them. And this was before they even rolled down the start ramp.

Gee, no wonder the Schlecks were pooping themselves!!

Quote: “That was a really tough time trial. As soon as I rode it in the morning, I told the Schelcks that it was made for Cadel. He was always going to rip a couple of minutes out of them.”

Here's the link: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/tour-de-france/stuart-ogrady-told-the-schleck-bros-cadel-was-too-good/story-fn947x03-1226101113590
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    Eros Poli is another possible.
    What about Indurain, in his early days supporting Delgado?