Single speed woes

coomber
coomber Posts: 232
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi people,

Just fitted a new chain (non-single speed specific) and chainring (again not a single speed specific) and new gusset single speed tensioner onto an old stumpie frame.

Chain is slipping off the rear cog and onto the spacers on the freewheel. The rear single sprocket is a used one but has hardly any use whatsoever. Chain is straight and in line. Cant see any other problems so... it has to be the rear sprocket right?

It slips under next to no pressure on the pedals and is driving me nuts. Just want to go out and ride the bloody bike!

Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pics of the set up?

or more info what parts which parts ............................

it should all work if fitted correctly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • coomber
    Battery dead on camera so cant do photos til the morn.

Its a bog standard new shimano chain, a no name standard chainring and superstar components chain tensioner.

Thanks for quick reply. Lightning. Wouldnt want to keep up with you on the trails! :lol:
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    What cog are you using at the back?
  • coomber
    I have tried 4 from a bunch I have been given. Some are really pointy, some look like normal cogs from a proper cassette.

Sorry I should have put this on tomorrow with some pics. I appreciate this is nigh on impossible without
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Yeah, photos will help.
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    Bent mech/tensioner hanger?
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Spacers the wrong way round?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not enough chain tension? Tensioner pulling chain down not pushing up and increasing wrap?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • coomber
    Right photos a promised. As ugly as sin front chainring as had no singlespeed bolts, so ignore that!

Stumpie2.jpg

Stumpie1.jpg

Stumpie4.jpg

Stumpie3.jpg
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    coomber wrote:
    Right photos a promised. As ugly as sin front chainring as had no singlespeed bolts, so ignore that!

It's also on backwards. That won't necessarily make a difference if the chainline is ok, but I don't know why you would need it like that.

If everything is new, then the 2 most likely reasons are chainline being off, or chain being too long. My initial guess based on the pics would be the chain needs shortened. You don't say whether the rear cog is new though. If not, try turning it backwards on the hub so the chain gets the 'newer' edge of the teeth.
  • coomber
    Ok, well that's easy enough to swap the front chainring around. Didnt realise that in the excitement of fitting it.

Rear cog isnt new but teeth looked ok. Will also try putting that on in reverse see if that helps.

Thank you
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    would also help to have the tensioner pushing up rather than down to get more chain wrap.
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg