Amy Winehouse

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Damn shame. What a lot of talent, what a waste.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Saw the headline when I logged on to view my yahoo mail.

Sad but even more sad is that it's rather unsurprising.
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    T'is very sad, but she was a self fulfilling prophecy I'm afraid...

There's a fine line between Genius and Insanity - it has been proved many times over!
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Should've gone to rehab.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Not half as sad as what is happening in the horn of Africa really.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Joelsim wrote:

I don't think I understand the point you are trying to make.

RIP Amy. You had little enough of it when you were alive.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DesWeller wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

I'm kinda with Joel on this one.

A talent has been lost, young. RIP Amy.

But seriously how much of a terrible shock is this?

Also, it wasn't like she was abused or from an abusive family, she threw her talent away. I don't wish her dead, it is said. I'm not sure how much of a tragedy this is.

I'm sorry but she was part of that whole social culture that snorted coke and will take other drugs - get f*cked up - and look you square in the face and swear blindly that drugs could be taken casually. Well there you go.

The Oslo incident and Africa famine are more tragic and shocking.

But a young talent has been lost, RIP Amy.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Her death is a tragedy (literally) and incredibly sad. This obituary gets it right.
  • A genuine talent now I hope resting in peace.
    If you can find a recording of her with Paul Weller (at the Round House I think it was) from 5/6 years ago, have a listen. Godawesomely good.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    A tragedy, but hardly a suprise; her untimely death was always a case of when rather than if. I liked her, both as an artist and a person, one who shot straight and from the hip. And there is no doubt in my mind that she most certainly was abused, by the very world she lived in which thought she was a bit of a joke, and by her own self-image.

Of course, the sad death of a singer cannot be compared to the major tragedies unfolding throughout the troubled world, but it is still a terrible thing.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

I'm kinda with Joel on this one.

A talent has been lost, young. RIP Amy.

But seriously how much of a terrible shock is this?

Also, it wasn't like she was abused or from an abusive family, she threw her talent away. I don't wish her dead, it is said. I'm not sure how much of a tragedy this is.

I'm sorry but she was part of that whole social culture that snorted coke and will take other drugs - get f*cked up - and look you square in the face and swear blindly that drugs could be taken casually. Well there you go.

But a young talent has been lost, RIP Amy.
    how do you know she wasnt abused ? self harm, eating disorders and substance abuse are usually the signs that some sort of abuse either physical or sexual has occurred. im pretty sure that the perpetrator wont advertise the fact.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    While its a tragedy for those who knew her, it's wholly unsurprising and she was not an iinocent victim, those in Oslo and Africa are.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Joelsim wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

These are different news items. You can be upset that a great talent has been lost at the same time as being upset about the Oslo atrocity and Africa. It's OK.

If there is another tsunami, should we cease to care about Oslo because, in comparison, the death toll of a tsunami renders Oslo inconsequential in comparison? (which it does)

On this basis, even September 11th isn't worth a front page.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DonDaddyD
    With hindsight Rolf F is in fact right.

What I still think.

It's tragic that a life has been lost. It isn't a surprise.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    She wasted her life. Her family begged her to clean herself up. She ignored them.

She's not someone I'll mourn the loss of, principally for that reason. Although I couldn't stand her music either.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Greg66 wrote:
    She wasted her life. Her family begged her to clean herself up. She ignored them.
    I doubt it was as simple as that.
  • DonDaddyD
    notsoblue wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Yes it was!

They tried to make her to go to rehab. She said "No!"

What, too soon?
    Food Chain number = 4

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    notsoblue wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

I think Greg sits on the right of this particular poster:

leftright_EU_1416.gif
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited July 2011
    It's as terrible waste of a young girl's life.

Anyway, moving on....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • notsoblue

Great poster, ordered.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Greg66 wrote:

Probably similar to telling a depressed person to pull themselves together. All seems straightforward if you are looking at it from the basis of being a reasonably balanced, normal and fully matured human being.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    notsoblue wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Entertaining as that poster is, my political views don't have anything to do with the simple fact that she threw her life away. No amount of after-the-event hand-wringing will rewrite that piece of history.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Rolf F wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Probably similar to telling a depressed person to pull themselves together. All seems straightforward if you are looking at it from the basis of being a reasonably balanced, normal and fully matured human being.

More like telling an addict that they are an addict and need to break their addiction. Plenty of addicts are able to break their addictions. They have to want to first though.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    so from the outside it looks like:

the parents drove her as a talanted child, replacing love with achivement (not a healthy thing to do)

She then left the management that had her smoking J's

and started with 1 that had her smoking crack, the management really did not take care of her, but they still made their money from her, bet they have nice houses

and the rumer is that it was perscription drugs, not smack or anything illegal, so where is the doctor & his-tory...... repeats itself
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    To go in classic style (and generate more questions from a br thread) and ask why general life viewpoints seemingly have (or need to have?) a political stance?

She got lots and lots of help. The priory et al are the more visible - she will have had doctors/therapists etc.

She chose to not want to help herself. She saw more gain in living that way than to stop and ignored the advice otherwise. That if anything is why it is a shame.

There is only so much you can do.
    Greggles66 wrote:
    They have to want to first though.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Something "funny" with my name

Harrumpf!

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • notsoblue
    Greg66 wrote:
    More like telling an addict that they are an addict and need to break their addiction. Plenty of addicts are able to break their addictions. They have to want to first though.

From what I heard she was pretty lonely and isolated. I would presume she died because of self destructive tendencies, the various addictions were just a means to an end. You're right though, you can't help someone who won't help themselves.
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    edited July 2011
    She hung around with a bad crowd. Pete Doherty and Russell Brand for instance.

As for Africa, get used to it. There's going to be a lot more of this due to climate change.

As for Somalia in general, it's a region full of terrorists. Rather than send them money why don't we save time and just blow ourselves up?

http://www.cfr.org/somalia/terrorism-ha ... alia/p9366

The US went there in 1993, as dramatised in the film Black Hawk Down.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Very sorry for her family, but to weigh it up against a terrible week of news:

Children starving to death in Somalia
    Lunatic shoots everyone not wearing a jumper in Norway
    Alcoholic, drug addict that can sing dies

Sorry Amy, at the bottom of my "give a damn" list; just increased my debit to save the children though - hope they can save some children in Somalia.

Amy's story reflects some of Janis Joplins story....
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Yeah. Bloody druggy. Serves her right.

I still don't give a sh1t about Marco Pantani to this day.

etc.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    I see Greg's compassionectomy was a complete success
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!