Another 'my first TT' - Ladies Mile thoughts and ramblings

Simontheintrepid
Simontheintrepid Posts: 128
edited July 2011 in Amateur race
Did my first ever time trial on Thursday and felt the need to post something about it.

It was the Ladies Mile – a 12 mile course, consisting of three laps in moderate rain (though I gather this isn’t always the case) that basically go over a hill that mapmyride.com considers a cat 5, but it’s more long than it is steep really. I got 36.32 with the best time being 31.10 (from memory but think it was about that).

Don’t know whether I did well or not really. I’ve been cycling for about a year now and regularly since about early March. My performance has improved a lot in that time and I think as far as preparation goes I was more or less right (recce the previous Sunday, well fed, energy drink, remembering to stay cool for five minutes then PLF with just a little in reserve for the final incline).

Could have warmed up a bit more but was still playing with the derailleur as my gears don’t seem to be too smooth at the moment (this is not an excuse, I don’t think it made a difference to my time). The only mod I made was to take the bottle cages off, no aero bars or anything.

I really wanted to break 36 minutes to bring my average above 20mph so I’m a bit disappointed, but anything under that I would have been quite pleased for a first go, it’s a fine line I guess

First of all, thanks to the Southborough & District Wheelers, top bunch. Chapeau to the chap on the Butler that overtook me on the first lap – see point two.

Second, what a reality check! The improvement I’ve made these last six months is great but this result will remind me I’m still a long way off where I want to be. I need to focus more, ride more often and hopefully a bit harder. I can see this as good motivation.

Third, I knew accepting the invitation to ride would be a slippery slope. I can see TTing being really addictive. I’ve just entered a whole world of pain yet somehow think I’ll be back.

Fourth, I’m fairly happy I took the right approach and apart from being slow it went smoothly (clean getaway clipping in, good lines in corners, avoiding potholes, no easing off on wet downhill corners after the first lap) so performance will just have to come from fitness. I’ve certainly never been so on the limit or felt it that much afterwards. As far as giving it my all, it seemed to be what felt like about 95% of capacity most of the way, so possibly could have done with just a bit more Rule V/MTFU. My muscles more or less succumbed on the final bit so I feel I got that nearly right.

Fifth, it went so quickly. If I had been told I’d done 20 minutes I’d have believed it. Also, a great reminder that riding to the limit in the pissing rain just feels completely awesome, especially descending.

So, I guess it’s just a case of going harder, better, faster stronger in training?

Si

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Yes, its addictive!

Training and riding more TT's is the best way to become quicker :)