the howgills loop

bigmatchmal
bigmatchmal Posts: 5
edited August 2011 in Routes
hi all,
i'm off with a mate soon to do the 23 mile howgills loop from mbr magazine,
i'd like to know from those who've done it, would knee pads be recomended? any dangerous bits on the descents? or would the room in my camelbak be better off used for sarnies :D !!!
cheers.

Comments

• pots74
    pots74 Posts: 62
    Hi,
    I guess you are an experienced rider, so there'll be no need for your pads! The majority is grass fells, with the only semi rocky descent down into Bowderdale. There are several good loops but my favourite is the anti clockwise loop from Sedbergh, Cautley, Narthwaite, Ravenstonedale, Bowderdale. If this is the one you are riding and the weather is kind, you're in for a treat! :D
    I have never been lost but I do admit to being confused for several weeks!

Specialized Enduro Expert EVO 2012
  • busta gonad
    busta gonad Posts: 162
    You are weired riding anti clockwise, don't tell me on a single speed ridged too, this ride is the gnar, unless i was looking like a power ranger i wouldn't bother. :D
  • pots74
    Er single speed?!!! Specialized enduro expert for your info! What the route too tough for you??? :lol:

• pots74
    Like i was saying the anti-clockwise route in my opinion is the best! I have done various loops of the howgills as i used to live in sedbergh! If you go clockwise you just have the slog up winder, arant haw and caulders to the calf and then a mediocre downhill into bowderdale! Where as anti-clockwise you have the downhill action at the end of your ride.
    If the guy before thought this was far too tough then he's in for a shock for the epic lakeland trails! As the saying goes "ALL THE GEAR NO IDEA!" :roll:
    If you want real mountain biking and not the man made easy gravel path you find at grizedale/whinlatter, then this is a very good trail! Like most of the great lakeland trails expect to do some pushing at some point!!! Let me know how you get on! :D [/b]

• Eh! An Enduro, don't you think a little overbiked on that ego chariot, to be honest i reckon the riding down bowderdale is a little more interesting, than the grassy smooth tracks off the Calf imho of course.

Sonny i was riding off piste when you were still in nappies :lol:
  • pots74
    Enduro ego chariot??? Jealousy will get you no where!!
    It's the perfect machine for me! It eats everything in its path in the lakes and certainly keeps up with the downhill bikes in the alps! What more do you want? :roll:

Sonny i was riding off piste when you were still in nappies??? :roll:

Dream on!!! I guess you've been biking for a few years and now you think your steve peat!
    Perhaps that's how you got your name?? Finding it so very difficult to ride relatively easy routes, you really did bust your gonads? "All the gear no idea" :lol:

• Pots i surrender i was being a goon, where did i say i found the trail hard! really enjoyed it on my ridged singlespeed!!??
  • antoclock, agree with pots. Done it both ways more than once and am still a fan of the anticlock direction. Done on 1996 Bontrager, Kona Dawg and a Blue Pig jfyi..........................
  • pots74
    Pots i surrender i was being a goon.

You've seen the light!!

I always thought the forums were for constructive comments to the questions?
    That's the beauty of mountain biking what's good for one person may not be for another!

Glad to see trailpuppet agrees!

If you want to leave remarks,which have no relevance or basis, why not try faceplant or other related websites! Enjoyed the banter though! :lol:

Keep dreaming! :D