Bertie rates Rolland

LangerDan
LangerDan Posts: 6,132
edited July 2011 in Pro race
Apparently Contador reckons Pierre Rolland is a future GT contender.

Well, what he is supposed to have said to Samu Sanchez immediately after yesterdays stage, (according to a journo from Liberation who was at the finish line) was "so you drag a future GC winner up to me and then you're surprised when he drops us. Are you a stupid c*%t or something?"
'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'

Comments

• Funny if true, don't really trust journalists though.

Having said that, Rolland has been very impressive. I found it suspicous at first but it is in keeping with his previous performance as others pointed out :)
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Haha, interesting. He really impressed me this Tour and looke stronger than Voeckler even on the climbs.

Samu said this about Vanenvert:
    “I think Jelle Vanendert had a bad time on the ascent of the Galibier, but he will be a true force to be considered in the coming years.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Yeah, he did look the part - TDF contender in 2-3 years time, if all goes well for him. (hope he stays clean).
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    He can climb (probably better than we saw as he was dragging TV uphill most of the time) and can ride a decent TT.

Definitely one to watch.
  • Mettan wrote:
    Yeah, he did look the part - TDF contender in 2-3 years time, if all goes well for him. (hope he stays clean).

Awright, he looks the part, but will he able to put up with French media pressure? Voeckler is 32, Gadret is 31 and Peraud is 33. In 2-3 years time, they'll be well over the hill. The French media have been looking for a local yellow jersey contender for years so It's gonna be difficult for Rolland to cope with all the hype and stuff... Let's just hope the rising star doesn't turn into a shooting star.

(AS for the "hope he stays clean" bit, well I don't mean to sound cynical here but I feel like saying "hope he is clean", for, even as we speak, a Europcar-related doping scandal would more or less mean the death of pro cycling in France.)
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103

Awright, he looks the part, but will he able to put up with French media pressure? Voeckler is 32, Gadret is 31 and Peraud is 33. In 2-3 years time, they'll be well over the hill. The French media have been looking for a local yellow jersey contender for years so It's gonna be difficult for Rolland to cope with all the hype and stuff... Let's just hope the rising star doesn't turn into a shooting star.

(AS for the "hope he stays clean" bit, well I don't mean to sound cynical here but I feel like saying "hope he is clean", for, even as we speak, a Europcar-related doping scandal would more or less mean the death of pro cycling in France.)

Yep, agreed - (I was giving him a wide-berth not mentioning anything 'negative' :wink: in relation to his current performance) - time will tell.
  • Albirdave
    Albirdave Posts: 21
    It looked like Tommy told Rolland to slow down a bit more than one time when Rolland was dragging him up the mountains.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Nothing like praising a young French hopefull to get a little purchase with the French.