Winter gear help

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
Hi all. I'm pretty new to commuting but have really caught the bug and am trying to do it every day I can (sometimes not possible for work/family reasons). I got a Boardman Hybrid Pro on the C2W scheme and have bought various stuff which of course all adds up.

So I have:
- clipless pedals and dhb M1 shoes
- CatEye lights, decent ones plus extra Knog LEDs for even more flashing
- Catlike helmet
- 2 pairs padded lycra shorts
- spare tube, puncture repair kit, water bottle etc

In addition I've just bought an Endura Venturi jacket and Altura Night Vision overtrousers, and I was given an Icebreaker 200 base layer as a gift.

What else do I really need to get before the cold weather sets in? Assume that I will average 3 commutes per week except when it's icy, each commute being at least 13 miles each way, possibly 18.

And what would you recommend for each thing. I'd rather buy fewer, better quality items than lots of rubbish that will wear out quickly. If I'm still using the kit in 3 to 4 years then so much the better. That's not to say I want to be paying fortunes for everything though, value is more important than price. I need to get saving I think...

Your experience would be really helpful. Thanks

Joel

Comments

• joelsim
    Sorry, I've also bought Conti Gator hardshells too.
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    You look well sorted to me, you can always suppliment your cycling specific stuff with normal clothes if needed.

The only thing that i'm not seeing on your list is some nice warm full finger Gloves.
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yup - gloves are the obvious omission. Don't skimp on gloves either. And, whatever you do, don't buy Sealskinz waterproof gloves.

The other thing to consider is some neoprene overshoes (I have Endura which are pretty poor quality) - they keep your feet & shoes reasonably dry but also keep them warm. Good socks really help - some people swear by the Sealskinz socks but I hated them. Wooly Booly (sp?) socks are great.

A Buff is always useful and very versatile. There was a thread earlier in the year about winter gear and many people had two Buffs and it was about the only bit of kit that nearly everybody had. I use mine to keep my ears warm.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • joelsim
    All sounds good. What do you think about winter tights, more base layers, what about a jumper I could wear in between a base layer and the Endura jacket I have? Or will a cotton jumper suffice here?
  • joelsim
    Any suggestions on good gloves and socks too? Like I said I don't mind paying for long-lasting quality items.
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    Joelsim wrote:
    All sounds good. What do you think about winter tights, more base layers, what about a jumper I could wear in between a base layer and the Endura jacket I have? Or will a cotton jumper suffice here?

try to avoid cotton as it holds moisture. once the wicking baselayer wicks any sweat away from your skin it has to go somewhere.

my layers in winter were

helly hansen wicking baselayer long sleeved. regatta fleece layer , then a regatta xert wind/waterproof shell coat. kept me warm and dry on the commute from central london to leytonstone in the winter ( 40 minutes ) never changed anything for wet days.

legs were in craghopper kiwi lined when temp was below freezing , and regatta walking trousers when above freezing. above 10 degrees and i am in lycra shorts. I wore gaiters when the snow was slushy as it stopped me getting wet feet.

decatlon do a good range of gear and cobham isn't far from reading/bracknell in the grand scheme.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • joelsim
    I kind of feel I need to get the following having seen your comments:

- Very good pair of gloves
    - Some good, thermal socks
    - A merino mid layer
    - a good pair of tights
    - Water/windproof overshoes
    - A buff or two

Anything else?
  • meanredspider
    In terms of good stuff, I don't think you can go too far wrong with Gore.

Their Windstopper stuff has water repellent properties - good enough for most commutes. I hardly ever use a waterproof. The gloves I use are the Assos winter system - 3 layers for the really cold days - but they are super-expensive (though I always shop around a never pay anything like full price).

I never need a mid-layer - especially with a Windstopper (or Assos Airjack) jacket.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • joelsim
    And from Inverness that probably works for me in London!
  • joelsim
    edited July 2011
    Blimey, you aren't wrong about the Winter System gloves. Cheapest I can find is just under 100 squid. Ouch.

Mind you, looks incredibly practical and clever. I like things like that, that show some sort of good idea.
  • meanredspider
    Joelsim wrote:
    And from Inverness that probably works for me in London!

I hope so. It's colder here for much longer (though probably not actually much colder) so I get lots of experience of what works

My winter kit is

Giro Xen lid with 360 light system
    Buff
    Oakley M-Frames
    200-grade merino base layer
    Assos Airjack or Gore Phantom Windstopper
    Assos early winter glove system
    Assos early winter bib tights
    Wooly Booly socks
    Shimano RW80 winter road boots

At seriously cold temps (-11C is the coldest) additional gear:
    skiiing balaclava
    Montane Stormrider eVent jacket
    Goretex overtrousers
    Neoprene overshoes

In fact, pretty similar to what I'd wear if it's absolutely tipping down (which it very rarely is)
  • joelsim
    You're a good man meanredspider.

Maybe next time Scotland play the Faroes and draw 2-2 I'll be less happy ;-)

But seriously, this is very useful indeed, much appreciated.
  • meanredspider
    Joelsim wrote:
    Blimey, you aren't wrong about the Winter System gloves. Cheapest I can find is just under 100 squid. Ouch.

Mind you, looks incredibly practical and clever. I like things like that, that show some sort of good idea.

TBH I only own the middle & outer layers which I picked up on eBay for about 50 quid (total) as individual layers. I have some Gore Running inners I use if it's truly baltic (below -5C). The middle gloves are great - warm, breathable and water resistant - and are my workhorse winter gloves. I think you could pick up the Gore equivalent cheaper. The lobster gloves are great though.

Cold hands & toes are what make winter rides miserable so don't skimp.
  • meanredspider
    Joelsim wrote:
    You're a good man meanredspider.

Maybe next time Scotland play the Faroes and draw 2-2 I'll be less happy ;-)

But seriously, this is very useful indeed, much appreciated.

Thanks - always glad to help.

I'm English BTW - I have a great day at work after a draw like that :wink:
  • joelsim
    I'm certainly not averse to fleabay, will keep my eyes peeled. No rush which is a good starting point, never buy a convertible in the summer.
  • joelsim
    I felt sorry for The Faroes actually
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    Woolen socks + Baselayers are best i find.
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/
    I find they do some decent winter clothes, maybe worth a browse.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • joelsim
    Thanks fella, will take a look
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I got through the Northern Winter with relatively little extra gear. Aldi base layer, Merrino jumper, gloves and cap, Cheap fleece/cotton top. Most important is to keep feet warm and dry, for this I used cheap overshoes, Heat Killer socks and basketball boots. It got me through a month of snow ice and sub-zero.

On -5C or less days I added a Snood, at -10 it would freeze along with my nose hair, tears on my eyelashes (that feels weird) and I'd add a thin liner to my gloves. Even then three layers max on top and two on the legs (thin tracksuit bottoms and waterproof overs).
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    If you don't already have them, a pair of clear lens glasses. Invaluable in stopping your eyes freezing. Definitely a pair of over shoes though, I use the Endura neoprenes (with some Seal Skinz) not brilliant but have lasted me 2 winters okay. I started using a pair of thick Altura winter gloves but found them too bulky and sweaty so I switched to normal full finger BG Specialized with separate inners on the really cold days.

Oh, and stop talking about winter in July! :lol:
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538

Cold hands & toes are what make winter rides miserable so don't skimp.

This.

Neoprene overshoes and good winter gloves are the two essentials for me. I have Endura for the former and these for the latter. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sealskinz-winte ... bar-mitten

I have bad circulation in the extremeties and those gloves are the business. Don't know how well they work on flat bar bikes though . . .
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    The Santini neoprene gloves are good:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31025&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=Google-Products-UK

My fingers still got cold eventually.

+ 1 for neoprene overshoes. I have the Endura ones I think.

I found the el-cheapo "Campri" base layers from Sports Direct were OK under my waterproof jacket. Anything more would have been too warm. You'll want as many sets as days in your working week as they don't smell great after wearing twice without washing!

Consider some studded tires too if you think there's a chance that the snow that came last winter will make a reappearance. They always sell out when the snow is actually forecast!
  • fatherted
    fatherted Posts: 199
    Autumn and winter wear -

For 10-12 degrees
    long sleeved base layer and short sleeved summer jersey.
    ¾ tights.
    summer socks.
    track mitts but with gloveliners underneath.

For 7-9 degrees
    long sleeved base layer and long sleeved autumn jersey.
    ¾ tights.
    Autumn socks.
    track mitts but with gloveliners underneath.

For 4-6 degrees
    long sleeved base layer and long sleeved slightly thicker autumn jersey
    ¾ tights
    Autumn socks.
    winter gloves without silk liners

For 0-3 degrees
    long sleeved base layer and long sleeved winter jersey.
    Full length bibtights.
    Winter socks with over socks
    Winter gloves with liner

below zero - long sleeved base layer and long sleeved winter jersey AND Gilet
    Full length bibtights.
    Sock liners and winter socks with over socks
    Winter gloves with liner.

I always carry a windstopper/showerproof jacket and overshoes. They both roll up
    small enough to go in the jersey pockets along with cap, smartphone, wallet,
    pager and keys.
    By the way, there's no such thing as a breatheable cycling jacket.
    Layers are the key.

Current kit is a combination of Biemme 3/4 tights, Assos full length tights , Defeet socks and defeet oversocks. Castelle Rain jacket ( windstopper/showerproof ) , Chiba gloves , Rapha base layers, Sportful jerseys. Bike GoreWear glove liners. Asso cap in case it rains ( keeps rain off the glasses ). My old faithfiul Eager overshoes.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    My winter socks are just M&S wool/nylon + some wool hiking oversocks or Sealskinz in the wet. You may need bigger shoes in winter.
    My source for all thing merino is chocholatefish. Very durable, washable and NZ made.
    Ronhill Bikesters are good value leggings. Totally windproof ones are overkill for most winter conditions.

Last winter was the first one I rode through the ice and snow on some home-made studded tyres. The proper ones are all sold out by the time you need them.
  • fatherted
    fatherted Posts: 199
    MichaelW wrote:
    My winter socks are just M&S wool/nylon + some wool hiking oversocks or Sealskinz in the wet. You may need bigger shoes in winter.
    My source for all thing merino is chocholatefish. Very durable, washable and NZ made.
    Ronhill Bikesters are good value leggings. Totally windproof ones are overkill for most winter conditions.
    It depends on which "windproof ones" you are talking about.
    The OP doesn't mind spending money on good quality technical clothing that will last a long time.
    I can't see the point in buying "wool/nylon" socks that, when wet , will take an age to dry out - the same goes for "leggings" i.e bibtights.
    Cycle specific technical wear is the way to go, especially considering the distance the OP is commuting.
  • jimmcdonnell
    jimmcdonnell Posts: 328
    I can't recommend the Shimano Gore-Tex winter boots highly enough; since getting them cold toes are thing of winters past. Can't match meanredspider's -11C though, only -4C for me - snow on the ground too!

And I'll say just one thing re: socks - Icebreaker. Merino. Like hugs for your feet. Thin ones for summer etc, slightly thicker for winter. It's the footwear that matters though, I don't rely on socks so much as the shoes for waterproofness or much warmth/cooling.

I wear 3/4 bibs for all except full winter, adding over-knee roubaix fabric leg warmers as necessary. I have fairly budget (DHB or Gore) roubaix bib longs for deep winter.

Top half - on coldest days a long sleeve Craft base, 200 weight merino (short sleeve) over that if it's really cold, under a Gore Phantom Windstopper under a gilet. Gore merino beanie under the helmet - which has its winter draught-reducing pad in (Giro Ionos)

I do wear the much-maligned Sealskinz wind/waterproof gloves, and they're barely warm enough on the coldest days, it's true. Thin merino liners help. Best trick for me is making sure I leave the house with warm hands & feet, then they usually stay that way. If they start cold, no amount of layering ever brings them back!
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • joelsim
    This is great, thanks fellas.

I've just bought some of these yesterday for delivery in September, couldn't resist the price.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gor ... s-ec020028

Gloves, socks etc to come
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    2nd the recommendation for chocolate fish merino, quality stuff.

I'd recommend a merino skullcap to go under your helmet. And you might not need them if you have really good gloves but mreino glove liners are a nice extra layer (the sealskinz ones are decent and failry cheap).

Arm and leg warmers are really good additions to your cycling wardrobe too, they keep me warm down to quite a low temperature when worn with my usual shorts/ss base layer and gilet combo.

And not cycling specific kit but my Rab microfleece lined vapor rise smock is a godsend when the temp gets down to 0 and below (paid about £50 on ebay).
  • joelsim
    Cheers fella. chocolatestarfish bookmarked