Paris - what if it's really close.

NFMC
NFMC Posts: 232
edited July 2011 in Pro race
Forgive me if this has been askled and answered already...

If Evans and the Schlecks are only a matter of a few seconds apart for the final stage will whoever is trailing attack for a few seconds on the final leg?

I know that it's generally a procession for the yellow jersey to come into Paris but if it's very close does that go out of the window???

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,204
    There may be some token attacks but the chance of one of the contenders being allowed any leeway are zero and they would be unpopular if they caused riders to get shelled out on the final day in some forlorn hope effort.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It's allowed, but I can't really see them escaping the combined forces of the Yellow Jersey's team and HTC.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    The only time I can remember an attack by the favourites on the last day, was when Hinault & Zoetemelk rode in together.
    The parcourse isn't tough enough for a real break & all the sprinters' teams will ride down any escapees.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    A few years ago Vino attacked and won the final stage, which gained him enough seconds to move one place up the GC (into the top 5 or thereabouts, however I don't see cadel or one of the schlecks being able to outride the HTC train this year.
  • RichN95.
    A few years ago Vino attacked and won the final stage, which gained him enough seconds to move one place up the GC (into the top 5 or thereabouts, however I don't see cadel or one of the schlecks being able to outride the HTC train this year.

They had time bonuses for the stage winner then. That's what did it, rather than the gap he got (if I remember, times were neutralised after 3km to go due to heavy rain)
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Didn't he also take the intermediate sprint to move above Leipheimer in the GC?
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 560
    if its really close i will be happy cos i will be there to see the fireworks :) sorry couldnt resist.

doubt anyone will be allowed off the front
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    It's allowed but no one ever does it. The problem is that the TDF leaders (jerseys) will slow things up, take swigs of champagne, etc. So if you started racing, it would piss a lot of people off.
  • donrhummy wrote:
    It's allowed but no one ever does it. The problem is that the TDF leaders (jerseys) will slow things up, take swigs of champagne, etc. So if you started racing, it would wee-wee a lot of people off.

I'll always remember 2005 when it rained and Gilbert pissed off Lance by attacking early and causing Hincapie to fall at a corner. :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Even if it's a second gap it won't happen on the final day.

Everyone will get all excited and nothing will happen, save for a very untimely puncture.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    donrhummy wrote:
    It's allowed but no one ever does it. The problem is that the TDF leaders (jerseys) will slow things up, take swigs of champagne, etc. So if you started racing, it would wee-wee a lot of people off.

I'll always remember 2005 when it rained and Gilbert pissed off Lance by attacking early and causing Hincapie to fall at a corner. :lol:

I believe that was payback for Lance checking an earlier move in the Tour which had Gilbert in it.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I'm fully expecting HTC to basically perform a team time trial to get Cav over the Intermediate Sprint for the green jersey. I can also see them carrying it on to get the stage win as well. As for a leaders attack, surely if Cadel i s ahead he'll just sit on Schlecks wheel?? Cant' see an attack.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • RichN95.
    Basically, it would come down to (for example);

This:
    tour-de-france-andy-schleck.jpg

versus this:
    HTC_teamcolumbia_tourdefrance-500x294.png

Which would be the biggest mismatch since this:
    Tiananmen_Tank_Man.jpg
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    I'd expect a break to form, mop up a lot of/all the intermediate points, then the sprinters' trains will bring everything back together by the time the race hits Paris.
    The usual, short-lived, breaks by single or a handful of riders, then a big gallop for the line, headed by Mr Cavendish. :D
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.