Alps off-season...

slimboyjim
slimboyjim Posts: 367
edited July 2011 in MTB general
Just wondering if anyone had been to the Alps (Portes du Soleil) off-season? I fancy a trip there but can't go whilst the Olympics are on as my work have said they'll be too busy to really consider giving anyone time off(!). I'd therefore be looking at May/June or September. I've never been before...

How much of the area is realistically accessible when the lifts are only partially open? As my mate has a massively heavy freeride bike we'd be looking to use the lifts far more than riding up... Also, is the weather generally good, or are we looking at likely heavy rain and high winds?

Any experience or advice is appreciated...

James

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    slimboyjim
    what do you mean by Off season? It is full season now.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Weather alternates between baking heat and enough rain to drown standing up.
    Wind was a rarity whilst I've been there.
  • slimboyjim
    Nick - can't go this year as funds lacking, so looking at setting something up next year. From looking at websites the full Portes du Soleil lift system is open from last Friday of June to the end of August, which coincides with when I cannot go. Before and after this (June and Sept) there is limited lift service, and I was just wondering how much lift accessed riding is available during this time. I think it's pretty much only the main lifts out of resort that are available, but none of the linking lifts...
  • pat mcgucken
    pat mcgucken Posts: 126
    check the lift opening times for Les Deux Alpes they ski year round at the top and there are lots of bike trails so I can't imagine them shutting for long if it's rideable. We were there last week and it was heaving, but in a good way
  • ranvir
    ranvir Posts: 155
    Hi slimboyjim, I came back e few weeks ago. i went end of june, start of season and the weather was good apart from first day. I went mid week and pretty much had the trails to ourselves, fri/sat was busy with other riders.

Most of the riding is done via using ski lifts. All lifts are well connected and its easy to work your way round.

Dont know what bike you ride but some of my mates were on 120/140mm travel bikes and were overtaking guys on DH rigs(all the gear no idea) would recommend 160mm bike

TIP take plenty of cash if you plan to eat/drink out its not cheap.

I stopped in Les gets at chalet hotel crychar - would recommend it. Morzine is a bigger town if you want more bars etc. Enjoy. i'm deffo going back next year :lol:

PS Super Morzine trail is a must .. Hope this helps
  • slimboyjim
    I've got a 140mm trail bike, so I'd be fine for most stuff, although may invest in a BIG front disc rotor, and switch the front rotor to the rear to beef up the braking just in case...

I know prices are crazy as I've been skiing since I was a kid - plan is to drive down so we can take most of our staples down with us and just pick up the stuff we need fresh there. I don't intend to use the mountain top restaurants for obvious reason!

Pat - I had a look at Les Deux Alpes and their 'biking sector' opening times are 16th June to 1st Sept, so it does open a little early but not by much... I assume this is the lifts fir the trails. I don't want to be dumped at the top of a glacier and have to slowly pick my way down - it may not be the most fun... May be worth a look nearer the time when I find out what time I can have off...

Anyway, back to my original question - does anyone have experience of going when the lifts are only partially open and what amount of the resort is rideable (using lifts) at this time?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so you are talking about the times between Ski and MTB season?

and most trails have starts near the lift drop off. if you go too early the trails may not have been prepared after the winter. and many may still be snow covered.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • slimboyjim
    No - not quite Nick... I'll try again :-)

According to websites this year the lift system is only partially open from 11-23 June, and 5-11 Sept this year in the Portes du Soleil. The full lift system is open in the period between. I was asking how much of the area is accessible with the fewer lifts open. I.e. has anyone gone there this year between 11th and 23rd June who can tell me if it's worth it. I can then make a decision as to planning a possible trip next year.

Thanks and sorry for confusion!