-spider- Posts: 2,548
    spen666 wrote:
    -spider- wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    -spider- wrote:
    :roll:

Give it a rest spen

Why?

Am I only allowed to make posts if approved by your censorship?

Try not trying to censor a public forum over which you have no control

Spoken like a true troll.

If you think of your self as a troll, then that'sentirely up to you

WHOOOOOSH

-Spider-
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    They are crap drivers though.* Ironically, one I knew was particularly terrible because she never stopped talking.

Maybe I should have reminder her of her religious obligations and to STFU.

* not a scientifically proven fact.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,949
    Obvious troll is obvious?

Spen wants people who are a bit on the left to get all angry and wound up so he can, in his own unique way, call them out and cackle as he wields his keyboard for another weird post, probably only responding to 10% of what someone actually wrote.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    notsoblue wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    Its about where the religious beliefs and the law co-incide or even collide and what we do about it?, especially in light of the ~Human Rights Act

Its more about where religious beliefs and bigotry collide. This is pretty thinly veiled, Spen.

Pun intended. Hiyoooooo

Why ? Are you a bigot?

There is nothing bigotted about asking a question about a situation that may arise.

Are we not allowed to mention Muslims or any other religious groups in your world? There is absolutely nothing biggoted or prejudicial in my posat, except in your mind where you seem to be seeking to find offence.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    AidanR wrote:
    mcj78 wrote:

Although having almost been run over by women drivers wearing niqabs/burqas several times in recent years I can say it's certainly a possibility.

The question of whether driving with a highly restricted field of vision counts as careless/dangerous driving is an interesting one.

I certainly thought so at the time - still, when religion comes into things it becomes much more complicated... unless you're in France of course!
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    edited July 2011
    AidanR wrote:
    mcj78 wrote:

Although having almost been run over by women drivers wearing niqabs/burqas several times in recent years I can say it's certainly a possibility.

The question of whether driving with a highly restricted field of vision counts as careless/dangerous driving is an interesting one.
    Ahem...

helmet-2.jpg

Also, would those women be forbidden from talking to anyone else?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,958
    CiB wrote:
    Is it just me? This sounds like a perfectly valid and reasonable question to ask. Why the flak?

The OP's reputation goes before him.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,958
    spen666 wrote:
    Why ? Are you a bigot?

There is nothing bigotted about asking a question about a situation that may arise.

Are we not allowed to mention Muslims or any other religious groups in your world? There is absolutely nothing biggoted or prejudicial in my posat, except in your mind where you seem to be seeking to find offence.

There you go......didn't take long..
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    No one can confirm if there are actually religious Islamic groups that limit a woman's interactions in the way that Spen asserts.

I actually think it's presumptuous to assume this and then go on to ask/answer the question.

But hey-ho, I also agree with CIB. The question itself isn't offensive.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bails87
    I know it's true in Saudi Arabia, but is that a Saudi thing rather than a Muslim thing?
    MTB/CX

• snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    Trolling?
    This is commuting chat - posts are made to stimulate discussion, even if they are hypothetical.
    If you just want simple question/answer posts, there are other forums where that is what you get.
  • DonDaddyD
    spen666 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    Its about where the religious beliefs and the law co-incide or even collide and what we do about it?, especially in light of the ~Human Rights Act

Its more about where religious beliefs and bigotry collide. This is pretty thinly veiled, Spen.

Pun intended. Hiyoooooo

Why ? Are you a bigot?

Yes there is:
    Spen666 wrote:
    firstly, this may be based on a false understanding of Islam, but I understand that a muslim women in some islamic societies is forbidden from speaking to a male other than her husband of family members.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • snailracer
    edited July 2011
    CiB wrote:
    Does the law require details to be exchanged verbally, and / or on the spot? There should be enough get-outs for this not become a criminal matter surely? Bottom line is I don't know, but it must have happened enough times by now for it to have been resolved one way or another...
    I'm not sure if this exact situation has happened, but there are plenty of drivers in the UK who don't even speak English and it doesn't present much of a problem as far as I am aware.
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    Couldnt she just write her details down?
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • "Thinly veiled"...good one...!!

I have some good Muslim friends. Will make some enquiries. Generally though, I can tell you that Muslims from places like Malaysia are less fundamentalist in approach than, say, those from Saudi Arabia. Generally...

I'm not a lawyer but went to law school. Aside from the application of the HRA, the courts always apply the "reasonableness test."

To take the example here, just because a Sikh would be permitted not to wear a helmet by the courts on religious grounds doesn't mean a Muslim woman involved in a car accident would necessarily be allowed to stay silent if she were unaccompanied by a Muslim male relative.

Why is this different?

The Sikh man would only be endangering himself by not wearing a helmet. The Muslim woman would involve someone else if involved in an accident.

Apples and oranges. Or the facts would be deemed "Not on all fours" in court parlance...

I reckon that's how it would work anyway. Like I said, I only did the theory, not the practice.

Not sure what's going on between you two, Spen and Spider. It's an interesting thread though Spen and I'd like to see how it pans out. I'm also curious so thanks for bringing the topic up.

I actually doubt it in this case, but if Spider is right, however, then shame on you.
  • snailracer
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yes there is:
    Spen666 wrote:
    firstly, this may be based on a false understanding of Islam, but I understand that a muslim women in some islamic societies is forbidden from speaking to a male other than her husband of family members.
    But that is true, is it not? e.g. Saudi Arabia. Although women there aren't allowed to drive by themselves in the first place.
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    bails87 wrote:
    AidanR wrote:
    mcj78 wrote:

Ahem...

helmet-2.jpg

Yeah, i know - however if someone wearing a motorcycle helmet in a car ran you over, then said "sorry I simply didn't see you there" you wouldn't wonder whether the helmet was the reason they didn't see you?
    spen666 wrote:
    I understand there may have been research into this and it is IIRC shown that the niquabs/ burqas do not restrict the view when driving

True, but point me to the research which proves no form of headwear, religious or otherwise, has ever slipped/accidentally been moved from it's intended position on the wearer's head & covered their eyes, thus blocking their field of view, even momentarily, and i'll accept that.
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    I would be very surprised if a woman who was forbidden from speaking to men to whom she is not related was driving a car alone.

If that was indeed the case, I cannot see why she couldn't just write the details down.

Then again, IANAM.

Spen666 is not a troll in the usual sense of the word. However, I am minded to agree with those of the opinion that this thread, like so many of his posts, is little more than provocation so he can then climb aboard his horse of highness and patronise people when it all kicks off. Must have a small willy.

If he wanted a serious discussion about this with knowledgable types, I would imagine there are legal or islam-related forums who would be in a far better position to have this discussion.
    Rules are for fools.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    spen666 wrote:
    Why ? Are you a bigot?

There you go......didn't take long..

Indeed. And here we come to the real point of the post. He's already mentioned human rights and burquas. I'm listening out for "political correctness" and some tenuous attack on the BBC to complete my Daily Mail troll bingo card.

Why why why do women who wear burquas, or men who wear turbans bother him so much that it would even occur to him to bring up this topic? I mean, how common is this? Is this a huge problem that police have to deal with every day?

Technically, you're right. There *is* nothing wrong with asking a hypothetical question about a situation that "may" arise. But the rarity of this occurrence instantly leads people to the conclusion that you're a bigoted troll who wants to turn this topic into one about foreigners forcing their cultural beliefs on us and how political correctness and human rights are eroding this once great country. You'll probably bring up censorship so you can paint yourself as a martyr. Sh1t, its just so depressingly predictable.

This may be of real concern for you, but are you really so naive that you couldn't predict this would be the response? I doubt it.
  • snailracer
    mcj78 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    I understand there may have been research into this and it is IIRC shown that the niquabs/ burqas do not restrict the view when driving

True, but point me to the research which proves no form of headwear, religious or otherwise, has ever slipped/accidentally been moved from it's intended position on the wearer's head & covered their eyes, thus blocking their field of view, even momentarily, and i'll accept that.
    Motorbike helmets can slip, or not fit properly, too.
    You can barely see out of some cars, and some drivers have the seat so far back their vision is obscured by the door pillar.
    Cyclists wearing hoodies.
    Baseball caps.
    Designer glasses with wide arms that obstruct peripheral vision.
    You could even say the hunched-over road bike position restricts the cyclists view - can't see past their own shoulders without stretching.
    Where do you draw the line??
  • DonDaddyD
    snailracer wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yes there is:
    Spen666 wrote:
    But that is true, is it not? e.g. Saudi Arabia. Although women there aren't allowed to drive by themselves in the first place.

We don't know and that's the bigoted assumption Spen666 asserts. As oppose to finding out if the above is, in fact, the case before continuing with his question. He continues based on the above without caring if it is true or not.

I wonder if he ever considers if the assertion is insulting to a practicing Muslim.
    Food Chain number = 4

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I wonder if he ever considers if the assertion is insulting to a practicing Muslim.

I think it would just be tiring for them. Its so common.
  • bails87
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Who in all likelihood is allowed to speak to people.

Saudi Arabia =/= Islam.
    MTB/CX

• DonDaddyD
    I have no idea what =/= means?
    Food Chain number = 4

• bails87
    Sorry, not equal to.

So just because Muslims in Saudi Arabia have to follow certain rules, it doesn't mean muslims here do.
    MTB/CX

• snailracer
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    snailracer wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yes there is:
    Spen666 wrote:

We don't know and that's the bigoted assumption Spen666 asserts. As oppose to finding out if the above is, in fact, the case before continuing with his question. He continues based on the above without caring if it is true or not.

The existance of rampant sexism in Saudi is common knowledge. Saying "I think", "IMO", "if it is true" or "AFAIK", etc. is simply polite and in the spirit of an open discussion.

From a 2008 report by the US State Department:

"...The government also imposed corporal punishment by flogging for offenses including the harassment of women or for being alone in the company of an unrelated person of the opposite gender."
    http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/20 ... 119126.htm

Also, officially illegal for women in Saudi to drive since 1990.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,949
    Anyone else reminded of the Stewart Lee weightwatchers sketch?
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Given that the question was posed from a UK law point of view, what happens in Saudi Arabia is pretty much meaningless.

There may well be some muslims in the UK who adhere to similar cultural practices as the Saudis, but the point remains - if they're forbidden from speaking to men they don't know, it is overwhelmingly likely that they will also be forbidden from driving.
    Rules are for fools.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    regardless of religious views or culture.....

A question for spen...

what would happen if there is any valid reason for not swapping details at the scene, but reporting it within 24 hours at a Police Station?

It is easy to imagine examples where someone may not feel safe or comfortable exchanging details at the scene of an accident...say a lone female at night has a bumper bash with a vehicle containing 5 young blokes?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • DonDaddyD
    edited July 2011
    snailracer wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    snailracer wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yes there is:
    Spen666 wrote:

The existance of rampant sexism in Saudi is common knowledge. Saying "I think", "IMO", "if it is true" or "AFAIK", etc. is simply polite and in the spirit of an open discussion.

From a 2008 report by the US State Department:

"...The government also imposed corporal punishment by flogging for offenses including the harassment of women or for being alone in the company of an unrelated person of the opposite gender."
    http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/20 ... 119126.htm

Also, officially illegal for women in Saudi to drive since 1990.

You are aware that:

Islam is a religion found, practiced and followed around the World.
    Saudi Arabia is but one country within the World.

Moreover:

Like Christianity there are numerous denominations of Islam.
    There is more than one religion practiced in Saudi Arabia.

Conclusion:

1 Saudi Arabia is not Islam and is not the sole representation of the religion.

2 Not all in Saudi Arabia are Muslim's (people who follow the teachings of Islam as set in the Qur'an - the Islamic 'bible' for want of a better example).

3 Not all Muslim's are from Saudi Arabia.
    Food Chain number = 4