Green jersey race

Snorebens
Snorebens Posts: 759
edited July 2011 in Pro race
There's an ongoing debate about yesterday's stage elsewhere. What is the breakdown for the remaining stages however?

Today - One intermediate sprint at 94k, full points up the Alpe at 109k
Tomorrow - nowt
Sunday - One intermediate sprint at 59k, full points end Champs Elysee at 95k

Who does this favour? Today must be Rojas big chance - Movistar driving the pace. Could he make the intermediate for points? Can Cav make the timecut? Will over 20% of the peleton not make it?
Sunday - Final sprint almost a given if Cav is there. Rojas to get away for intermediate?

Got to say Cav's in the driving seat but quite a few possible scenarios left...

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    It will depend on whether the GC teams really go for it up the Galibier. If they do then I can't see Rojas making it to the sprint point today, but if they soft pedal and wait for the Alpe there is a chance. It would be risky though, even a sprinter who can climb OK like Rojas could regret making a big effort for the intermediate if they then blow up on the Alpe. Though there would be some poetic justice watching Cav and the grupetto passing a knackered Rojas in the final K's of the climb.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    I know it is the points jersey not the stage wins jersey but personally would prefer to see someone win it that has won at least one stage victory.

Not being biased towards Cav if it was Hushovd, Hagen or Gilbert going against Rojas i'd prefer them to win it too - unless Rojas surprises us all and wins in Paris, then fair enough!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Snorebens wrote:
    Tomorrow - nowt

There are points tomorrow. I don't expect either of them to get any though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    I know it is the points jersey not the stage wins jersey but personally would prefer to see someone win it that has won at least one stage victory.

Not being biased towards Cav if it was Hushovd, Hagen or Gilbert going against Rojas i'd prefer them to win it too - unless Rojas surprises us all and wins in Paris, then fair enough!

Rojas would be the most underwhelming Green Jersey winner in my 25 years of watching the Tour.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    I can't see any of the points contestants, getting any today!
    It'll be more a case of can Rojas lose fewer than Cav!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    Update
    L'autobus just arrived, about 30 seconds out of the time limit. Cav, Rojas & Hushovd to the fore.
    Gives Gilbert a 20pt boost, having come inside the time limit.
    That'll be Cav on 280, Rojas on 265 & Gilbert on 230. (Assuming the 20pts docking occurs & no one's got any points at the intermediate sprint)
    It's not cut & dried, there's big points on the line tomorrow (65 for the win?), but it'd be a brave punter to bet against Cav making it 5 wins in this tour & his second win on the Champs!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    OffTheBackAdam, Cav has won the last two years on the Champs so this year he's going for the hat-trick :)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • OffTheBackAdam
    I thought he had, just checked his fansite, but couldn't see that one on his palmares!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,204
    It was the one where the lead out was so good him and Renshaw finished several lengths clear of the others.
  • cyclingtaz
    cyclingtaz Posts: 326
    Pross wrote:
    It was the one where the lead out was so good him and Renshaw finished several lengths clear of the others.

one of my fav sprints ever
    "you tried your best and failed miserably. the lesson is never to try"
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frdU3_aKZNs - can't believe they didn't credit him with a time gap!
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • RichN95.
    What's important for is that he has the lead going into the last stage, so the tried and trusted tactic of "sit on Cav's wheel and use it as a lead out to come 2nd or 3rd" isn't going to cut it.