Where to ride in the North East??? HELP!!!!!

nobby2607
nobby2607 Posts: 41
edited July 2011 in MTB beginners
This is my first post, so please excuse the etiquete or lack there of!

In january there I bought a hard tail mountain bike to start mountain biking also to make sure I enjoyed it before I spent a load of wonga on something that had the potential to just ending up sitting. I tried it and loved it! I was riding pretty much the coast to coast route from sunderland and routes like that.

Then I started to fancy getting into riding that was more technical and basically more fun, got a bit of money stashed and decieded to go out and buy a Canyon Nerve Xc and try going to trail centres. First ride was Hamsterley red route on the new bike, bit much for a beginner i know but, what a buzz and absolutely loved it. Been to a few more trail centres, Dalby (awesome), Kielder (really good fun) but finding that they are a bit far away.I live in Sunderland and have a family and the usual ties, so finding it hard to get the time to get away to these places.

I was just wondering if there was any way of finding out about what sort of riding is local to me, and where the trails are, also what clubs are local to me. I am looking for websites, and things along those lines, just some thing to help me get out more often really.

In need of info, please help!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Also post in Rides and Routes, might be people local to you with the same hassles.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Bike Bloke
    Bike Bloke Posts: 172
    Hamsterly Forest near Durham is absolutely fantastic!
  • I'm based on the North side of the river (Tynemouth).
    There are some nice 1hour - 3hour routes taking in some woods and some of the coast.
    (The 15 mile route along the coast was voted as one of the top 10 prettiest cycle routes in the country by the Guardian!)

What sort of riding do you want to do?
    Is it technical stuff, or are you just looking to add some new routes to your current set?

(There's definitely a club around here - I've gone past them a couple of times on my usual evening ride)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Hi Nobby,

I'm out in the Tyne Valley and have gone throught the same searching that you are doing now.

Close to me, and probably not a million miles from you is Chopwell woods - it has one man made trail called the Powerline which is alright, but it has loads of more 'natural' trails through the woods which I found were great for learning on - a few kickers, small drops and lots of roots....

There is a club in Beamish called the bealish Oddsox who ride twice a week - I have never actually raised my enthusiasm levels to going out with them but their website is pretty comprehensive.

Round where I live there are loads of wee wooded bits - I went and spent a day riding bridle paths and looking for trails - I know have a two hour ride I can do from the house which has two nice technical descents and a fair bit of single track - so basically, get on the bike and keep your eyes open!

Finally - www.moredirt.co.uk has a god list of sites up here

Good luck! :lol:
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575
  • nobby2607
    Thanks for the responses people!

I'll check out the websites soonest chance I get.

I am looking to get more technical rides, but not going to stop adding new routes. Aslong as I'm out riding I'm happy. The only problem I've got is finding things local, that I can just get out and about on without the long drive.

Love the trail centres I have been too, just can't seem to find the time to get away and when I do I need to rush back cutting the trip short! That side of it just needs more planning I think.

Thanks alot, something to think about and look at to get some more pedalling done!
  • nobby2607
    I'll definately be checking out Chopwell, Its not far at all and that definately sounds like what Im after!
  • bluehelmet
    bluehelmet Posts: 156
    Also try:

http://mtbnortheast.ning.com/
    http://www.mtbe.co.uk/
    http://www.kieldertrailreavers.co.uk/ (that's me on the front page using the shovel / riding the drop)
    http://www.hamsterley-trailblazers.co.uk/

I can highly recommend any of Hexham Common, Edmundbyers/Blanchland/Slaley wood area (the descent from Bolt's Law all the way back to Edmundbyers is a must).
    Further north the area round Alwinton is worth a trip.

Chopwell is a great place to learn / improve your riding but does take some exploring to find good stuff. Here's a quick route for you: From the car park head back down the road you drove up and take the track on the left on the blue (?) route. When you get to the first fireroad turn right and head slightly downhill. As the fireroad starts to turn to the right there's a bank on your left (maybe 50m from joining it)- head up that and you'll find a sweet trail. Follow it to a disused railway line. Turn left, just before the bridge take the track on the left to the fireroad and turn right over the bridge over the old rail line. Pass one fireroad on your right. Where the fireroad joins from the left go up the short steep incline on the right. To the fireroad and turn left, as the fireroad climbs and bears to the left there's a path on the right. Follow that and skirt the edge of the golf course (nice & rooty up then down). At the fireroad go right, at the fireroad junction go right then just before you leave the wood there's a track on the left. Nice quick rooty descent. Follow this straight over the disused railline for another 15 metres or so and at the end (after a 1ft drop) hang a right. At the fireroad turn left, after a fireroad goes of to the left (carry straight on) there's a track on the right, down there and follow it to the left. At the fireroad turn left, then right and at the road turn left to take you back to the car park (goes past the top of the Powerline too). If you want to do this to get back to the car park go up the fireroad you join at the bottom and to the crossroads - there's a little bit more just down a bit on the left or if you turn right you'll get back to the car park.

If you need some ready made routes get a hold of Derek Purdy's MTB Guides to Northumberland & County Durham.
  • nobby2607
    Thanks a lot for the info, really do appreiate it and given me alot to think about have a look at get riding.

Cant wait!!!