Il De Re

seataltea
seataltea Posts: 594
edited July 2011 in Tour & expedition
Wife booked it, off on Sat for 10 days, supposed to be a cyclists Mecca, not much about it online except it's bloody pricey and there are lots of cycle paths, taking the hybrid with luggage for some light touring.

Anyone been ?
'nulla tenaci invia est via'
FCN4
Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
CUBE Peleton 2012
Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Was there last year with the wife. Not cycling though.
    Lovely island with some amazing beaches.
    Driving is actively discouraged and cycling well provided for with multitudes of cycle paths and rental shops.
    However, it is more about pootling than any serious cycling. The paths are too busy to get up to speed and the roads too tight for cars to comfortably pass. If you are confident on the road you may be okay as the cycling I did on the mainland was a pleasure with courteous drivers.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    No shortage of good cycling the mainland side of the bridge. La Rochelle is very bike-orientated for a french town. If you are taking your car onto the island the toll is very expensive (which is how it stays so quiet when the Ile d'Oléron is jammed solid with cars). You can even walk back over the bridge to visit La Rochelle without paying for a car. There are those who park the car at the bridge and cross on foot or by bike to save the money.
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    Thanks for the replies, very useful information, we're staying on the island at La Flotte so I think cycling over the bridge to La Rochelle is on the cards. I've even fitted a wicker basket to my daughters bike (at her request) so she can collect a baguette and croissants in the morning.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • jay_clock
    jay_clock Posts: 2,708
    Y
    ou can even walk back over the bridge to visit La Rochelle without paying for a car
    from the Island side of the bridge to the centre of La Rochelle it is 11k, so a 22k round trip walk.

I have cycled there and it is beautiful but a place for pottering rather than full on touring. My journal is here http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1 ... =1453&v=2r