Loss of drive?

Muttly1981
Muttly1981 Posts: 815
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've hit a brick wall on trying to diognose this problem, i was at Glentress on saturday and on the climb up i lost all drive (felt like no chain) when i checked the back wheel the cassette would spin bothways with zero resistance. As soon as i poped the back wheel off the bike it was fine so put the wheel back on and set off again and everything was fine for about 15 minutes until the same happened again, again once i popped the back wheel it righted itself again. This happend two or three times more then seemed to clear up completely and everything was fine for the rest of the day, it may be a nothing problem that has fixed itself but at the same time it's worrying as i don't know if it is a prolem with the cassette or the rear hub so any ideas o what it could be would be much appreciated. The cassette is a Sram PG-970 and the rear wheel is a Mavic Crossride

We returned on sunday for a quick blast of the blue and on the climb i was having a lot of trouble with the bike ghost shifting but i think this may just be a cable problem as the bikes took quite a bit of hammer over three days
What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the rear freebody has gone. have a look at the tech docs for your year wheel (link in the FAQs) you will most likely just need a new spring in it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Muttly1981
    Cheers Nick, by spring do you mean what s refaired to as Pawls on the Mavic site? I looks a pretty straight forward job so may give it a go myself
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the spring operates the Pawls. the pawls are the bits that engage in the ratchet ring.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Muttly1981
    nicklouse wrote:
    the spring operates the Pawls. the pawls are the bits that engage in the ratchet ring.

Ah now i see, going to have a go at servicing them in the next week or so just have to find a local mavic dealer. Went into my LBS yesterday who basically told me the hubs are knackered,Mavic are poor and parts are very hard to come by but they recomended i change out for some Hope hubs (Hope dealer) :lol:
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Hmm, they would say that though. Oil/dirt built up in the pawls it sounds like. Could just be grungy. I'd strip and clean before believing they're knackered. Mavic wheels are among the best , your LBS is full of @!#*.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Not really, Mavic hubs are very basic and have gone unchanged for 15+ years, freehub bodies wear because of the bush in the back, and spares are hard to come by, a friend waited 8 months for a Ksyrium spoke, I know a lot of people who've popped spokes in Crossmax too. Hope aren't necessarily more reliable, but you can certainly get spares!

Worth popping them apart and seeing if you can clean them up certainly, they only want a light oil in there, some people fill them with grease, which can gum up the internals.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I agree on the spares being hard to find, but their hubs aren't all the same for 15 years. And either way so what? Hopes have been fundamentally the same for nearly 20.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.