Which bb for 2010 giant trance x4,or buy complete chainset?

lexinoo
lexinoo Posts: 132
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello.My bottom bracket is worn out,i was going to order one off tinternet can anyone help me with what size etc i need to order please?The standard one is a shimano BB-ES25 octalink according to the bike specsheet but on ebay this bb comes in different sizes,anyone know which i need?or would it be worthwhile upgrading to something like a deore or slx with external bearings which is obviously going to be a much more expensive option?Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you need to measure the axle, or look on the BB shell when you have removed it as it will say on it.

or have a look on the back of the arms and post up the part number. FC-???????? and someone might look up what is needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    For a direct replacement you need this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Alivi ... 7b673903eb

with a 118mm axle length and 68mm shell width.

I bought one when I transferred the chainset from my Trance X4 to my hardtail. WIth the splined octalink set-up I think you're limited for choice.

By the way, I changed to the SLX double & bash set-up on my Trance, which comes with a really smooth Hollowtech II external bottom bracket. It's miles better than the Alivio kit that's OE on the X4 and is £95 from CRC at the moment:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=28019
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I would upgrade although the more expensive option you will be gaining a lot more with a new chainset, the slx is a top piece of kit,

I run a twin and bash but before that I had the triple and both have been brilliant.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • lexinoo
    lexinoo Posts: 132
    Thanks for the advice people :D