Boris vs BSO Beater

2»

Comments

• mossychops
    mossychops Posts: 262
    New job coming soon (hopefully an end to all my "im poor as hell at the moment, but want to ride expensive bikes" posts)

4.2 mile commute each way. Was going to use the road bike in dry and mountain bike in wet and snow/ice (Marathon winters still on wall from previous commutable job).

Now I am wondering if I should get that £160 flip flop (marathon winters, mud guards and rack for winter) for fun and to make the commute a little harder and maintenance free. Convert my old Gary Fisher Marlin (1994) into a commuter (SS?) or maybe a folder (as I can go via pubs etc on the way home).

Cycling is fairly quiet (no city centres or anything). Grrrr, I was all sorted until I saw that £160 SS and then someone suggested stopping at the pub on a folder.

4 bikes is pushing it (when n = 3) now I think about it
  • mossychops
    thumb3_Gekko.jpg

Pub friendly (even circus friendly)
  • mossychops
    New plan! Gary Fisher Marlin, new forks with a front disc brake and SS or fixie on the back. Maybe replace any bolts left with titanium or ones that wont rust and I got an 365 days a year commuter.

Mudguards and rack
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    Sketchley wrote:
    What about that Thames valley police site. Ex stolen bikes. Should be able to get a beater on there.

Bumblebee Auctions?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Keep your eyes peeled / covered people of London for the 'beast' has been unleashed :lol:

Waterloo to Strand :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Waterloo to Strand

you could have walked there by the time you will have extricated that... thing... from the bike racks at Waterloo!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    yeh true but then who would i scalp and walking is so slow.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • paulus69
    paulus69 Posts: 160
    SimonAH wrote:
    Not a contest.

What would.be fun though is disguising a good and fast bike to look like a 20 pound BSO

Yeah buy a nice cube, then stick some trax stickers on it!
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
    Specialized Secteur 2012 / Carrera Vulcan v-spec