Why can't I wheelie anymore....

drewcole81
drewcole81 Posts: 528
edited August 2011 in MTB general
When I was younger and started to ride I used to be able to wheelie all the way down my road and across fields....

Since getting back into riding a few years ago I've only every really been interested in riding XC stuff and trials which involved jumping a little which I can deal with fine.

I've been trying to wheelie again but just can't seem to 'keep it up'.... :)

I'm not sure if this is down to having a lighter bike now as apose to my cast iron lump or just because I've lost that loving feeling...

Any pointers?
....DaZeD aNd CoNfUsEd....

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just bumping this because I'm also interested. My wheeli-ing has always been sporadic. Some days I can wheelie like a pro, other days, it just doesn;t work at all :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe gravity varies from day to day?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    That would certainly explain why the bathroom scales have been stuck at 13 stone recently.
    And I do mean stuck too - whether I'm stood on them or not.
  • drewcole81
    cooldad wrote:

Cracked it..... thank god, So all I need is an anti gravity machine to alternate between gravity variation and i'm all set.
  • drewcole81
  • Anonymous
    drewcole81 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Cracked it..... thank god, So all I need is an anti gravity machine to alternate between gravity variation and i'm all set.
    Don't be stupid. :roll:
    What are you, an imbecile?

What you NEED is a gravity stabilisation device, an anti gravity one would be more useful for jumps.

:wink::lol:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • RobGT
    RobGT Posts: 132
    cooldad wrote:

That would explain why I seem to have put on weight recently!
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    wheelie on a bmx is totally different you pull up were as on a mtb I push down to get the front up,

takes a bit of time to find the balance point especially on a full suss as the bikes compressing, field or car park for a couple of hours and I bet you will have it cracked.

once you find and crack the balance point of the bike its easy, but never as easy as when you were younger. :wink:
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Anonymous
    You know what I've never been sure of, is how to balance the bike from left to right in a wheelie :?
    When it works it's just blind luck, basically.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    It is all about pushing down into the bottom bracket and leaning back after loading and unloading the front end, the pedal and keep spinning. It is kind of like puling the rear wheel under you body than llifting and holding up the front wheel.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    Why can't you wheelie any more?

...You're on a unicycle?

...You're on a tandem?
    "Coming through..."
  • drewcole81
    I shall crack it this weekend.....

Granny ring up front and about half way down on the rear seems to be good gearing for it.
  • dubmodder
    dubmodder Posts: 100
    Make sure you keep your arms locked straight, if they are bent you will struggle.
  • drewcole81
    TuckerUK wrote:
    Why can't you wheelie any more?

...You're on a unicycle?

...You're on a tandem?

If your on unicycle... aren't you always wheelying?

I wonder if anyone has ever wheelied on a Tandem.... that would be quite cool! :)
  • kinmofo
    kinmofo Posts: 172
    dubmodder wrote:
    Make sure you keep your arms locked straight, if they are bent you will struggle.

so how do you expect to balance?>

once you've got the front wheel in the air, its kind of easy then, if u feel like ur gonna fall off the back, use ur back brake to pull the front back down, but dont stopp pedaling at the same time or u'll come right back down.

you can either balance with ur knees or by turning the handle bars left or right, depends on ur style, some people can only do it sat down while others stood up, you just have to find which works best for you im afraid. wether it be stood up or sat down, knee balance or steering balance, try other balancing skills if u find ur self gettin bored or tired, track standing is a good one.

where ur at a complete stop, but you remain on the bike, just balancing. i tend to hold the back brake and just dab the front while maintaining pressure on the pedals keeps me upright.
    I'm a Nazi Zombie! And You Cant Kill Me!

Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my Mind the most!

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • Dartster
    Dartster Posts: 56
    I tried Wheeling with Spd's (which i forgot i had on as i had only just got spd's) on last year....

....tenner to the person who can guess what happend :roll:
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    This dude is pretty cool

http://youtu.be/zploy9L05h8
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • Dartster wrote:
    I tried Wheeling with Spd's (which i forgot i had on as i had only just got spd's) on last year....

i did the same i bet you went under the bike with it ontop of you
    road- Trek 1000
    XC trail anthem X4
    school and shops- orange P7 single speed
  • Dartster
    Dartster Posts: 56
    james-m-h wrote:
    Dartster wrote:

i did the same i bet you went under the bike with it ontop of you

Ha yup, went right back and landed on my lower back...also put a nice hole in my elbow as it was on a gravel track....Doh!