pedalling resistance/general aggravation

mith150176
mith150176 Posts: 41
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
my front mech(shimano slx)recently snapped so i had it replaced with a shimano deore standard 1 which the shop had in stock.i have since noticed some serious resistance when pedalling,even after a dissent.i'm having to shift the cassette into the lowest cogs when it was otherwise unneccessary.i took it back to the shop and asked him to put on an slx instead but he said this wouldnt alter anything as the only differance is about 40g in weight.i have also had a lot of trouble with the clips in the calipers rattling about and catching the rotors which i dont know how to prevent..any 1 any ideas?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1 so what is catching?
    2 they can do check the spring.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mith150176
    mith150176 Posts: 41
    1:the clips in the calipers have a habit of catching the rotors,can these be bought seperately if they are bent out of shape?
    2:what am i checking the spring for?
  • nicklouse
    1 was for your first question not your second.
    2 the spring that is between the pads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Providing they are compatible models, I doubt you would feel any difference between Deore and SLX
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    cooldad wrote:
    Providing they are compatible models, I doubt you would feel any difference between Deore and SLX

you cant they dont effect anything to do with pedaling so something must be catching rubbing. Changing a Mech will not do what the OP says.
  • cooldad
    Unless it's been fitted wrong and the cage is catching on the chain/chainwheel.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Which should be obvious when you ride it
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools