Black stylish softshell jacket < c. £120 and durable...

QuickDave
QuickDave Posts: 30
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for a new men's windproof / softshell bike jacket with the following features (in order of importance):

1. Black and stylish design - I need to use it for walking the dog, going to the shops etc as well as cycling so neon colours/reflectives are out.

2. Price - ideally < £120 (but could go to £150 for something nice)

3. Durable - will last a few years and won't rip if I tumble!

I also like:

A) Packable - medium packable (e.g. anything between paclite and hardshell)

B) Drawstring or partially elastic hem, not fully elastic hem

C) Velcro adjustable sleeves not elasticated sleeves, or zippered at a push

D) Zipped pocket(s) not patch pocket(s)

E) Napolean pocket

Nice to have but not essential:

a) diagonal neck zip

b) minimal branding

My commute that I mainly need it for is only c. 2 miles if that helps - so though I tend to cycle hot I'm less interested in breathability vs waterproof.

I tried an Endura Stealth today and it's slightly expensive given it doesn't quite fit 3, B, C above. (And it occurs to me the Stealth design is quite old now and perhaps replacements would be coming along, though maybe there will be more sales..?) Finally, I'm not ready to look at walking kit yet as I need a bike-cut ideally.

Any recommendations and/or pratical experience would be great.

Thanks ever so much in advance!

Comments

• Apart from the angled neck zip I think this ticks just about everything you asked for. Like mine.

http://www.yeomansoutdoors.co.uk/produc ... small.aspx
    Stuff I have designed
    www.muckynutz.com
  • tompo
    tompo Posts: 30
    i bought one of these a few weeks ago.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/alt ... t-ec026245

Would appear to tick most of your boxes and is reduced from £99.99 to £39.99.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    If you are in London then maybe this :-

http://www.rapha.cc/summer-sample-sale-2011
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • thinbo
    thinbo Posts: 93
    Montane Puma

I've had mine for a few years now and have worn it for summer and winter climbing, hiking, cycling, travelling, going to work/pub, in fact just about everything. There's a newer version out now, if it's anything like the original (it looks to be, the only difference I can see is that it's got 1 Napoleon pocket instead of 2 :-() it'll be the Mutt's nuts.

I think the only criteria on your list it doesn't fulfill is the diagonal zip one, although it does have a fleecy chin guard.

RRP£110 can be had for £77http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/montane-puma-2-0-jacket-pid4434.html

edit: on closer inspection, may not be quite as similar to the previous version as it's made from slightly different material (polartec windPro instead of Powershield), still worth a look i reckon
    CUBE Agree GTC Pro '10
    Giant Defy 2 '09
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    Get a jacket the same colour as asphalt ... and get killed.
  • thinbo
    thinbo Posts: 93
    Get a jacket the same colour as asphalt ... and get killed.

this is why I don't use the afore mentioned Montane Puma for cycling anymore, I bought a bright yellow cycling specific Altura job. When I did wear it for cycling I wore a yellow gilet over it too.
    CUBE Agree GTC Pro '10
    Giant Defy 2 '09
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Sower's Pass have some nice softshells....
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • QuickDave
    I bought the Altura Summit this morning. Very happy, and good price too.

For those who are interested, Evans price matches their own web price in-store! I'm 6'0" and fairly slim, and a M size was fine.

Montane Puma looked good too.

Thanks for the suggestions all, especially tompo.

Now just to work out how to DIY affix a sillicone strip to the back to stop it riding up...
  • QuickDave wrote:

Now just to work out how to DIY affix a sillicone strip to the back to stop it riding up...

You're kidding?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • QuickDave
    I mean a silicone strip like on the Endura Stealth. I wasn't kidding but should I be? It could be done fairly easily I think.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Shutt VR do a very nice winter soft shell which is worth a look.

http://www.shuttvr.com/shop/productdeta ... er-Jacket/
  • rowman
    rowman Posts: 111
    I must admin I almost knocked a fellow cyclist of his bike a few weeks ago. It was just starting to go dark and he was dresses head to foot in black. It's a case of fashion over sense?
  • Think Lidl are doing a cycle special next week
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • QuickDave
    Hi softshell friends,

Sadly I left my Altura Summit on the train this morning ! Can anyone suggest a good value replacement that fits the bill per the above criteria ? It looks like the Summit is discontinued.

Cheers !
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Nice discipline! Why pollute forum with more threads if you can reuse one from 5 years ago!
    Good luck with your search. Please, consider different colour, though.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Evans have had some decent deals on lately,was looking for one for my mtb a few weeks back
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Yeah black is a stupid idea for cycling in.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Fenix wrote:

Zero evidence for that, plenty of evidence that high viz doesn't work for two wheeled riders.

Learn how to ride on the road, use strong lights in the dark and even in daylight...support segregated infrastructure where relevant/you have the option.
  • fenix
    I've enough evidence from my own eyes thanks. Black isn't very visible even in daylight. I've ridden past my training partner once when he was dressed as a ninja. I was looking for him and he was in the shade

Now imagine a driver who isn't looking for a cyclist. He's a bit hung over. His windscreen is dirty. He's distracted by the kids in the back.

Why would you wear black.

Something bright makes a lot more sense.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Fair enough but it makes no difference, always ride defensively as possible regardless and assume people haven't seen you (I don't often ride in black but anecdotally I've never noticed a jot of difference)
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Fenix wrote:

Yup, I agree, driver shouted that although he could see me because I was a moving object, as I was in black jacket , he decided that he could get away with not seeing me as the law is on his side, so decided to knock me down.. he knew he'd get away with it.. the police, the courts , the insurers all believed him and now I'm bankrupt paying for costs, his car, his whiplash... in fact this is my last post as BT are about to cut the inter....
  • fenix
    Yes nobody is going to hit you if they've seen you (well you'd hope wouldn't you) but you won't stand out as much in black on a dark or dull day. You can test this every time you cycle. You'll pick out bright cyclists ahead much further off than ninja cyclists.

So wear colours and assume drivers are out to kill you anyway and you'll be as safe as you can be.

Oh extra dim points to the cyclist I almost bumped into on a foggy morning. No lights. A grey rain jacket. In fog. Why???
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I'd rather get run over than ever wear neon / flouro.

Black, black, black for me.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    EDIT: having said that I occasionally wear an orange San Pellegrino jersey, but that's ok because retro is cool (neon isn't) and obviously everything else is black.

;-p
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    QuickDave wrote:
    Hi softshell friends,

Sadly I left my Altura Summit on the train this morning ! Can anyone suggest a good value replacement that fits the bill per the above criteria ? It looks like the Summit is discontinued.

Cheers !

Ribble have some mental deals on Assos and Giordana kit at the mo.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • fenix
    Secteur wrote:
    I'd rather get run over than ever wear neon / flouro.

Black, black, black for me.

Let's hope you don't get your wish. I've been riding 35+ years now and driving standards are only getting worse sadly.
  • Kind of lost the thread due to the black vs flouro debate and not sure if the op has done a runner but I bought one of these
    http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pro ... /id/729963
    Allegedly sold for £250 now going for £99 on sports pursuit. Got to say I'm impressed with the quality and fit.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    Amazing really that the OP has survived since his original post in 2011 riding round in that black jacket.
  • QuickDave
    Hi everyone

Many thanks for the replies which were very useful. I bought a madison zenith for £35 delivered. Very happy with it. Thanks again.