hope bb, xt crank compatibility

surreyxc
surreyxc Posts: 293
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I got fed up my shimano BBs dying, so invested in a Hope, but ever since fitting there seems to be play, the bearing look fine, so was wondering because it is not shimano working with shimano, that it is not the same precise fit. Any one else experienced the same, though it could be that the cranks are getting on for 5yrs of daily and sometimes heavy use.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there have been many versions of the XT cranks over the years which?
    which Hope BB they make more than one.

what frame and BB shell width. how many spacers are you using? any chain device used?

I bet it is incorrect spacers if an HT2 set up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • surreyxc
    surreyxc Posts: 293
    hollowtech crank, whatever version they had 5yrs ago, spacers follow the same as when the Shim bb was in, from memory it is a 70 something width.

Will play with spacers, but pretty sure it correctly fitted, my thought was whether the internal diameter of the bb precisley matches the width of the crank shaft. Just being lazy I guess, will strip it and get calipers out for measuring.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if you are using the correct spacers then there should be no issues.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    More so

I have a set of FSA moto X and they have been out of the bb 3 or 4 times, cleaned, slight grease and refit, last time I pulled them off the bearings are gripping the crank axle and the drive sidewill be a pain when I need to change bearings

Keep an eye on them, as the bearings are made 3rd party trust should be sparing.