Silly Commuting "old fella" racing

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
After a night of junior teething, I decided on a calm and slow journey to work. Well, not exactly slow as such, but far more sedate that usual pace.

Anyway, smack me around the face with a dead fish, I get SCR's by an old boy on a super upright mixte and another old boy on a proper steel framed old panniered racer! They both had beards too.

Feeling like a right muppet, I had to muster what little energy I had to blast past them - the old boy on the racer was pretty quick though and took everything I had, which was very little.

Looks can be deceptive, I hope at his age, that I am as quick as he was!

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    There are some damn fast 50+ riders out there in clubs, you wouldn't want to be racing them! I've been out on club runs with old boys who can literally spank it up hills and leave everyone standing...

I did a 5k run last week, did it in 19 mins 10, not too bad I thought considering I haven't trained and am 38 years old. Not my fastest time though. However the top 10 men all did it in 15-16 mins and 1 of them was 45+ yrs old and another was 50+!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    There are some damn fast 50+ riders out there in clubs, you wouldn't want to be racing them! I've been out on club runs with old boys who can literally spank it up hills and leave everyone standing...

I think if I saw an old boy spanking it up a hill I'd stand back a bit. Wouldn't want to get splashed.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Headhuunter
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I think if I saw an old boy spanking it up a hill I'd stand back a bit. Wouldn't want to get splashed.

Ooh, you have more gay innuendo than Soho and Vauxhall put together! Are you sure you're not willing to , you know, give it a go??
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Ooh, you have more gay innuendo than Soho and Vauxhall put together! Are you sure you're not willing to , you know, give it a go??

Quite sure, thanks.

Didn't know Vauxhall was a gay haunt.
    I was down there a few weekends ago watching half naked blokes getting all sweaty and out of breath with each other then hugging each other when they were finished, but that was a kickboxing bout.

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I've warned you about this before - beware of skinny old men on steel framed tourers
  • Headhuunter
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Quite sure, thanks.

Didn't know Vauxhall was a gay haunt.
    I was down there a few weekends ago watching half naked blokes getting all sweaty and out of breath with each other then hugging each other when they were finished, but that was a kickboxing bout.

Yep, plenty of gay bars etc in Vauxhall! The Vauxhall Tavern has been around for decades, I think it's where Lilly Savage was "discovered"...

http://london.gaycities.com/bars/nid/9012/
  • EKE_38BPM
    I'll take your word for it.

It could explain why ITB frequents the Morpeth, just across the river from his happy hunting ground, ennit?

• Headhuunter
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I'll take your word for it.

It could explain why ITB frequents the Morpeth, just across the river from his happy hunting ground, ennit?

That must be it!
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Vauxhall is where the proper gays go
  • Headhuunter
    Vauxhall is where the proper gays go

Yep, it has its fair share of hard core and leather clubs etc, whereas Soho is just full of air kissing, homo-lites and the occasional German or French tourist family stumbling through staring at everyone....
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    When you get to my age, sonny.... you start to realise that, as well as still having a lot to learn, you have actually picked up a modicum of technique and skill over the decades, and are better than a lot of younger, fitter, stronger riders at conserving your energy.

Beware of skinny old guys on steel framed tourers for sure, as they are generally tough as old boots, and know how to pace themselves.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Old fella racing? Is this linked to the Men / Women / Species of Animal that you would but shouldn't?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    ahhh but then these blokes have been riding bikes since God was a boy and I wouldn't be surprised if many didn't have driving licenses at all.

The cyclists who scare me the most are old women on dutch style bikes with a big wicker basket on the front :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,949
    NGale wrote:

The cyclists who scare me the most are old women on dutch style bikes with a big wicker basket on the front :shock:

[dutch pedant] if it's got a wicker basket on the front, it's not Dutch. They use permenant pannier type bike bags. [/dutch pedant]

unfettered%2Bdutch%2Bcycling.jpg
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    NGale wrote:

[dutch pedant] if it's got a wicker basket on the front, it's not Dutch. They use permenant pannier type bike bags. [/dutch pedant]

I did say 'dutch style' :wink:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,375
    I once pulled up to a little old lady on a mixte type bike at some traffic lights. Pulled away and I could hear a little cow bell attached to her handlebars. I struggled to shake her, that cowbell was just behind me, taunting me for ages. That bell destroyed me as it kept letting me know she was right behind me.
    In mitigation I had just started commuting, and I was on a mountain bike, I might have had a hangover or some other feeble excuse.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Vauxhall is by far the gay capital of London these days, beats Soho for sure.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I once pulled up to a little old lady on a mixte type bike at some traffic lights. Pulled away and I could hear a little cow bell attached to her handlebars. I struggled to shake her, that cowbell was just behind me, taunting me for ages. That bell destroyed me as it kept letting me know she was right behind me.
    In mitigation I had just started commuting, and I was on a mountain bike, I might have had a hangover or some other feeble excuse.

Thats a DDDesqe confession.
    Joelsim wrote:

You live and learn.

• Headhuunter
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Thats a DDDesqe confession.
    Joelsim wrote:

You live and learn.

Basically I think Westminster council is quite unwilling to extend licences to allow bars to open late in Soho, that and the lack of space means that Vauxhall is much more attractive. Soho is more and more just a tourist destination with chain restaurants like Nandos...
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    NGale wrote:

[actual dutch] Not true anymore, everybody and their neighbour are riding with baskets on their bikes now. It's some sort of fasion. And then they scream bloody murder when some chav nicks their purse from said basket. [/actual dutch of]
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF