Scooting on bike - is it legal?

kaybar007
kaybar007 Posts: 15
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
I do the Hackney to Southwark London commute daily and with the extended Moorgate roadworks end up walking for 2-3 blocks on the footpath. When there aren't many pedestrians in front I often will scoot (ie one foot on pedal, and use other leg to push along) - and obviously jump off as soon as I get close to people.

Today I scooted across a pedestrian crossing and was told off by an irate pedestrian. Even though the light was in my favour (I could've cycled but was about to get onto the footpath for my 2 block walk).

Question is: when is it OK to scoot?

Comments

• snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    On a pavement, scooting counts as cycling, unfortunately:

Crank v Brooks [1980], Lord Justice Waller said, in his judgment :
    "...a person who is walking across a pedestrian crossing pushing a bicycle, having started on the pavement on one side on her feet and not on the bicycle, and going across pushing the bicycle with both feet on the ground so to speak is clearly a ‘foot passenger’. If for example she had been using it as a scooter by having one foot on the pedal and pushing herself along, she would not have been a ‘foot passenger’. "

Source:
    http://www.bikehub.co.uk/featured-artic ... d-the-law/
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    Do you mean you're still straddling the bike, or have you swung one leg over, as if you're about to jump off ?

I often do the latter while on the pavement, just between the road and where I'm locking the bike. Like you, I only do this if there are no pedastrians nearby. I reckon it's OK, as I'm effectively in the exact same position as when walking next to the bike.

I think as long as you always give priority to pedastrians when you're on the pavement, then there's no need for anyone to shout at you. If they were annoyed because you were blocking their path as they diagonally traversed the pedastrian crossing, for example, then they're stupid as the same would happen if you were pushing your bike, or a pram, etc.. some people are just very irritable, so ignore them.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    I was threatened with being lifted for scooting along a section of road that was temporarily closed for roadworks. Pedant Copper Alert. :roll:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • kaybar007
    kaybar007 Posts: 15
    Thanks for prompt replies - yep I mean leg is already over as if you're about to jump off (not straddled). ie: cannot start peddling as would have to stop moving & then step through. Right leg on pedal, left leg 'scooting' to propel along.

I'm sure I read on a cycle blog somewhere that scooting was OK - wish I'd bookmarked it!
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    kaybar007 wrote:
    Thanks for prompt replies - yep I mean leg is already over as if you're about to jump off (not straddled). ie: cannot start peddling as would have to stop moving & then step through. Right leg on pedal, left leg 'scooting' to propel along.

I'm sure I read on a cycle blog somewhere that scooting was OK - wish I'd bookmarked it!
    Apparently, it isn't even legal to ride scooters (the no-engine variety) or skateboards on the pavement.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/5271874.stm
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    the Local plod where i work in North londn have become quite hot on all riding/scooting on the pavement outside my office and are handing out fixed penalty fines to anyone that they see.

i quite enjoy it as its mainly "yoofs" with hoodies, on cheap (probably stolen) full suspensions mountain bikes.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    kaybar007 wrote:

It is not legal - scooting on pavement I mean, not the blog
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I often get shouted at London Midland staff for scooting up the hugely wide platform 17/18 at Euston well away from any pedestrians. I go temporarily deaf.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    I scoot and olny had a row in edinburgh during the fetival in crowded areas, funny as people were on segways at the time in the crowd.........

just go deaf,

if it went to court - standing on 1 pedal, whilst propelling yourself with another foot does not constitute cycling

boneshakers, as close as you will get to scooting are not the modern safety bicycle driven by a rotary motion- fact
  • spen666
    estampida wrote:
    I scoot and olny had a row in edinburgh during the fetival in crowded areas, funny as people were on segways at the time in the crowd.........

just go deaf,

if it went to court - standing on 1 pedal, whilst propelling yourself with another foot does not constitute cycling
    boneshakers, as close as you will get to scooting are not the modern safety bicycle driven by a rotary motion- fact

Sadly for you, you'd lose if it did go to court. You do not have a right of way to use pavement in that fashion

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    Sadly for you, you'd lose if it did go to court. You do not have a right of way to use pavement in that fashion

Has the law changed in the last few years, or has this always been illegal? I remember 20-30 years ago people would scoot all the time on pavements and neither pedestrians nor police seemed bothered. I recall asking why a cyclist would do that, as opposed to actually "cycling", and was told that it was legal to propel a bicycle by foot and that it was no different to walking with it. Or was I fed a pack of lies?!
  • spen666
    spen666 wrote:

Has the law changed in the last few years, or has this always been illegal? I remember 20-30 years ago people would scoot all the time on pavements and neither pedestrians nor police seemed bothered. I recall asking why a cyclist would do that, as opposed to actually "cycling", and was told that it was legal to propel a bicycle by foot and that it was no different to walking with it. Or was I fed a pack of lies?!

1. Law has not changed in recent years ( Before people talk about the statement of Paul Boateng re FPN for pavement cycling- that was not a statement of law and a government minister cannot change primary legislation or court decisions without an act of parliament.

see the earlier post for the case from 1980

2. The interpretation ie what is acceptable may change over time

3. There is no three

Twittering @spen_666
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    I am sure the answer is in the question "PEDESTRIAN" not bloke on a bike crossing.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html