Wire or folding?

georgef88
georgef88 Posts: 30
edited July 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi newbie here I'm after some new tyres but what is the difference between wire and folding and what would the benefits of folding be?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Folding use kevlar beads - save a fair bit of weight for the money.

Also usually have better compounds and carcasses.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It's the material used in the bead of the tyre. Wire (also known as 'rigid') tyres use a steel cord in the bead. This means that you can't put folds into the tyre (e.g. for storage) as this will permanently damage the bead.

Folding tyres use a Kevlar cord in the bead. This can be folded up, making the tyre easier to store. These tyres also tend to be a bit lighter.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    No one really needs folding tyres for their folding nature. The main benefit as Supersonic mentioned is weight. Its the best place to save it so folding tyres all the way!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    As an example, from their official website: Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1Tyre

Wire (Steel) Bead = 700g (although I've seen 780g quoted on Wiggle)
    Folding (kevlar) Bead = 590g

As stated previously, by buying a folding tyre you're saving weight where it's most effective.

Ultimately it comes down to what you can afford or justify spending ...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    SS made another good point, often it's not just the bead that's different, where a company makes a folding and a wire version of a tyre often the wire one is budget all round.

Take, frinstance, Kenda's Nevegal- the wire OEM spec one is absolutely awful, the compound's like plastic. The folding one is good, but doesn't share any part of the design other than the tread pattern and even that doesn't work the same because of the other differences.

But then you get your Maxxisses, where the wire ones can be just as good as the folding ones, just heavier.

Oh... And try not to skimp too much on tyres, you can get good cheap ones but if you get bad cheap ones it'll make even a great bike horrible.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Bike Bloke
    Bike Bloke Posts: 172
    Maxxis are the same either way (if you're selecting the same compound). The wire will be slightly heavier, but also considerably cheaper at no lack of performance (except for a bit more weight).
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Bike Bloke wrote:
    Maxxis are the same either way (if you're selecting the same compound). The wire will be slightly heavier, but also considerably cheaper at no lack of performance (except for a bit more weight).

I use a wire Maxxis High roller on the front and they are a very good all rounder, as bike Bloke says some wire tyres are just as good, but heavier.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Wire bead tyres tend to say on the wheel better in the event of a puncture.

I've had folding tyres stretch a little too. Meaning they wouldn't seal when run tubeless.

Wire bead tyres can't be folded in the same way but they can be made a lot smaller:

eg:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/clin ... lding.html
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    non-steel beads shouldn't stretch at all, since they're almost always kevlar beads. Kevlar stretches less than steel.
  • Silversladey
    Silversladey Posts: 450
    gilesjuk wrote:
    Wire bead tyres tend to say on the wheel better in the event of a puncture.

I've had folding tyres stretch a little too. Meaning they wouldn't seal when run tubeless.

Wire bead tyres can't be folded in the same way but they can be made a lot smaller:

eg:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/clin ... lding.html

I have found the opposite to be true. :?
    My Kevlar bead folding tyres have always provided a much better fit than any wire beaded tyre i have used.

I have never had any issues with stretching of the kevlar bead
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I don't think anybody's ever had issues with kevlar stretching, to be blunt.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Bike Bloke wrote:

I use a wire Maxxis High roller on the front and they are a very good all rounder, as bike Bloke says some wire tyres are just as good, but heavier.

Ditto, the kevlar tyres were 5 quid more expensive each for a weight saving of around 50g per tyre, at the time I just couldnt justify the extra 10 quid and I must say they've been fantastic tyres.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    50g of less rotating weight ain't to be sniffed at lol.

Compared to people who spend 50 quid on a stem to save 10g, is a relative bargain! Some tyres though save more, sometimes as much as 100g each.
  • zenistar
    zenistar Posts: 75
    This is good to hear, i just bought some Panaracer Fire XP for my 12 year old Rockhopper (just started to ride again after a 10 year break) and thought that flat pack was just the way everything comes these days :lol: didn't realise i had any choice
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
    1998 Specialized Rockhopper FS - still going strong!