29' er

divingmoose
divingmoose Posts: 540
edited August 2011 in MTB general
So what is the benefit of a 29'er i am new and unsure

Comments

• quattrojames
    quattrojames Posts: 157
    I've just bought one so I should know.....

In laymans terms the larger wheels will roll quicker and easier over bumps to help you on your way!

As always Wikipedia is worth a read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/29er_%28bicycle%29

I'm sure some more experienced members than myself will be able to talk more knowledgably, failing that Google will give plenty of hits.
    2011 Cannondale Trail SL 29er HERE
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    its horses for courses, i find that they are faster in a straight line, climb better and in general have more grip, downside is slightly slower in the (very) twisty sections, but the benefits way out balance the downsides (for my type of aggressive xc)

People say that they are slower to accelerate and are hard to turn, i think its all subjective.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Having hired one for 10 @ Kiroughtree I've now bought one.

Those things climb like mountain goats, seem to be better through sticky and muddy sections, smooth out very rocky sections and generally shift pretty damn quickly.

However, mine is going to be my xc and endurance event bike. No way will it be replacing the steel HT or the big bouncers for fun days out.

If you are looking for something for all day epics or quick xc work they are great but not sure how much fun it'll be on a twisty trail.

Try one first if you can.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    its horses for courses, i find that they are faster in a straight line, climb better and in general have more grip, downside is slightly slower in the (very) twisty sections, but the benefits way out balance the downsides (for my type of aggressive xc)

People say that they are slower to accelerate and are hard to turn, i think its all subjective.

Aggressive XC bumboy? tsk

29 bikes are bought to instantly make you a hippy and gives you an instant desire to grow long hair and drive vans! lol Nah pretty much what he said above, though i'd argue the agressive XC part to be fair as my mondy slaughtered your 29er on the downs
  • VWsurfbum
    Thewaylander
    thats because your mondy was prodomantly set up for heading down, thats why i slaughtered you on the way up! :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    make you a hippy and gives you an instant desire to grow long hair and drive vans!
    I've got long hair and wear Vans - should I get a 29er then?
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Not wear drive Yee :s

But you didn't detroy me on whites climb particularly i hadn't eaten for nearly a week it was only the fire track it was really noticibly super quick.

And fella there was no down on that trail to be honest, My mondy is shocking hard work on such pedally decents.
  • VWsurfbum
    Wah Wah Wah
    Thats what i thought you said.

yeehaamcgee Yes you should luke, You'll be more powerfull than you could ever imagine [/vader]
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Not wear drive Yee :s

But you didn't detroy me on whites climb particularly i hadn't eaten for nearly a week it was only the fire track it was really noticibly super quick.

And fella there was no down on that trail to be honest, My mondy is shocking hard work on such pedally decents.

there's always some excuse :wink::lol:
  • Anonymous
    VWsurfbum, I am quite taken with a nice Trek 29er I've seen, and also...
    1310729039079-10ty20ifqzqd8-500-90-500-70.jpg

Thought something like that would be an ideal bike to bimble about on when I'm out taking pictures. The wolf just tempts me to do silly things too much, and that's not a good thing with well over a grand's worth of camera and lenses on my back :lol:
  • welshkev
    er...isn't that a whyte?
  • Anonymous
    That picture is yeah, just found it a few minutes ago. The one I've seen in Betws is a Trek though, but I can't find any images of it.
  • welshkev
    ah, got you :D
  • welshkev
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    welshkev wrote:
    you didn't really though as yeeha said 'I am quite taken with a nice Trek 29er I've seen, and also...' The also meaning a different bike entirely, the Whyte.

I've just single handedly destroyed your hopes and dreams, shame :lol:
  • Anonymous
    getonyourbike understand the inner working of the Yee mind. Fear him. :lol:
  • VWsurfbum
    yeehaamcgee
    see this new fluffy bunny Yehaa would never consider a 29er?
    and now someones understanding you..................be afraid...........be very afraid :lol:

The trek 29ers are where its at, although theat whyte does look nice, and we all know looks come first
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • getonyourbike
    yeehaamcgee
    You should be very afraid, you soon to be long haired hippy (please don't) :twisted: :lol:
  • VWsurfbum
    yeehaamcgee
    You should be very afraid, you soon to be long haired hippy (please don't) :twisted: :lol:
    He is! He's just not accepted the fact yet, he will come over to the dark side of the wagonwheel force!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • getonyourbike
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    yeehaamcgee
    He is! He's just not accepted the fact yet, he will come over to the dark side of the wagonwheel force!
    don't make me cry :cry::lol: Are bright green tyres hippy?
  • VWsurfbum
    there the colour of our friends the tree's leaf's
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • getonyourbike
    oh cr@p he is a hippy :shock: sorry yeeha, I think the normal people of the world have lost you to the hippies. :cry:
  • Anonymous
    yeehaamcgee
    Don't what?
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    yeehaamcgee
    I was never NOT on the side of wagon wheelers - I wasn't on any side. People just assume that I'll be on one side or the other. They're all mountain bikes, frankly.

Oh, and green is also the colour of the stuff I used to smoke when I was a proper hippy :lol:
  • getonyourbike
    yeehaamcgee
    Don't what?
    Turn hippy
  • Anonymous
    Turn? :lol:
  • getonyourbike
    oh, sorry you already are/were :lol:
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I wont go back to 26 now.

The bigger wheels are not slow to accelarate as most would point out. They can drag on the hills unless you gear them accordingly, I have a 12-36 cassette on both of mine helping on the hills.

They roll over stuff easy on the technical climbs and you can get away with a little less travel on the bike too.

The big wheels can be a pain in the ass if you have to ride in deep rutted or tight sections of singletrack. Some bars with a bit more back sweep helps with the steering too.

I Have a pink fully rigid On One scandal and a Black anno Niner RIP 9

2010_12200004.jpg

2011_02200005.jpg

Consider the on-one scandal if you are thinking of it.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • VWsurfbum
    the niner looks super sweet!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Cheers,

I built to exactly what I wanted, flippin expensive, nearly had to sell a kidney to buy the forks :D

Went with a black white and gold colour scheeme and even went with XO gripshift, a breath of fresh air!

2011_02200008.jpg
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • VWsurfbum
    yep, i really like it.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty