First try's at being a mechanic!!

creamsodauk
creamsodauk Posts: 63
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
What can i say......... a boo boo or two later but im getting their hahaha

first job for my new stand and tools was remove the chain. Done in seconds and in for a clean.

next was pedals, off they come easy peasy. One isnt as smooth as the other so i need to see if my jmc v8 pedals can be stripped or just greased?

Third job, crank bolts/covers, very uqickly removed with the large 8mm allen style wrench

Now the 4th job where i slipped up, removing the cranks from the bottom bracket etc. The tool came with a small alloy button shaped piece in the end which could be removed, sadly i didnt remove this and i have square cranks! this reulsted in much swearing and eventually stripping alot of my pedals threads out :oops: :oops: :oops: :shock: , i realised my mistake after a minute removed the dumb button thing and off came the cranks (simples!! :roll: )

last job was remove the bottom bracket which went nicely, i have the bottom bracket in bits and one bearing feels notchy, the other is still inside the bottom bracket thing (cant get it out so i have left it too soak, it may need heat?)

So the bikes in bits while i find new cranks and new bearings, Im fairly happy with how i felt stripping it down and i even removed the little bolt that had come off inside the bottom tube whilst i had the bottom bracket out.

The tools feel good and the stand looks very plush i must say. Any help with crank choices and help with removing the bearing? can i get a bearing puller and inserter? :P :P :P

Comments

• leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    If you are getting new cranks, they usually come with a new complete bottom bracket assembly-I wouldnt bother with trying to replace the current bearings as it will probably be more expensive than buying new and you will be tied to a square taper crankset.

Usual reccomendations are shimano deore if you are on a budget(£50 ish), slx for all round performance (£100 ish), xt for slightly better shifting and looks (£140 ish) or xtr for tartiness and ultimate lightweight(£330 ish)

There are other decent chainsets around from raceface, fsa etc but shimano tends to be the preferred choice.
  • shimmyhill
    shimmyhill Posts: 42
    I did the same with my old cranks, to the letter - worked out taking the button out after i had partially stripped the thread of one side!!!

Fitted a Deore chainset with external bb and pleased with it thus far.
  • thanks fellas, i knew i couldnt be the only plonka to have done it LOL im just glad it left enough thread to get them off.

im browsing now but many chain sets with cranks have slightly diffrent teeth sizes For example mine are 42 32 22 alot seem too be 44 34 24 can i use a larger size without issue?
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651

im browsing now but many chain sets with cranks have slightly diffrent teeth sizes For example mine are 42 32 22 alot seem too be 44 34 24 can i use a larger size without issue?

a larger size will fit, your gears will all just be slightly higher