Which Cycling Mag?

garyhere
garyhere Posts: 28
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi All
Wonder if any of you can recomend a bike mag for a beginner. I've picked up Cycling Pro and it looks a bit hardcore.
Was thinking about Cycling Weekly which is apparently due out tomorrow.
So far the best mag I've bought is a one of title called On Your Bike.
Any recomendations?
Thanks

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Cycling Active if you are a complete newbie and then Cycling Plus if you are more interested in road bikes and road riding. All very easy reading.
  • garyhere
    Thanks, will look out for those titles, especially Cycling Active.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    i signed up for CAat the beginning of the year on the 1/2price subscription offer (on the grounds I'd probably buy at least 6 over the year). Its not a bad magazine, tho like all these its a bit samey in places month on month. It deliberately seems to steer cleer of 'professional' biking (e.g. TdF etc) and is clearly aimed at amateur (even, I could argue, sub-club level). The suggested rides (even if most are nowhere near me) and the gear reviews are generally good. Its a light read, good for a few hours.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • garyhere
    Sub-club level sounds good to me. Will give it a try.
    Thanks
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Active and Plus are both great.
  • Cycling Active also has free LED mini lights on the front cover this month. I got some last year when they were giving them away and they still work a treat.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I read the comic (Cycling Weekly); it's less TT & race-focused than it used to be I think, and there are usually more general-interest stories. Worth picking up an issue or two to see if you like it.

I occasionally pick up Cycling Active or Cycling Plus, but prefer CW overall.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As this is commuting I reckon I can get away with suggesting MBUK........

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Cycling Active also has free LED mini lights on the front cover this month. I got some last year when they were giving them away and they still work a treat.
    Which issue? My August one arrived in the post a week or so ago and no mention of miniLEDs and the Sept one isnt out yet...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    Cycling Active also has free LED mini lights on the front cover this month. I got some last year when they were giving them away and they still work a treat.
    Which issue? My August one arrived in the post a week or so ago and no mention of miniLEDs and the Sept one isnt out yet...

+1