Very OT : Bring and buy sale

londonlivvy
londonlivvy Posts: 644
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
A work colleague and friend has decided to organise a charity bring and buy sale - only she's being coy and calling it bring and swop. Bless. Anyway.

So what's a bring and buy sale? Well, similar to the village hall sales of the 1970s, only you bring someone of the opposite sex that you don't fancy and hope to buy someone better. Only you don't actually have to part with cash for the buying bit - it's your charm that'll win them over. In essence, it's an evening to mix and mingle with folk who are all sane, normal, friends of friends and single. FAR FAR better than speed dating as there's no obligation to talk to anyone you don't fancy, and no time limit on talking to those you do. I can't promise you'll meet your Mr or Ms Right, but you should certainly have a good evening looking for them.

So if you're single, or know someone who is, do send them the link please and encourage them to buy a ticket and come along (with a friend of the opposite sex to ensure equal numbers of singletons). It's for charity too, in case you needed a further excuse.

7pm on Thurs 28th July.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=106082276148382

PS Mods if this is against BR policy then v sorry and please do remove.

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited July 2011
    Right....

To recap:
    Like a 1970's party:

You arrive accompanied by someone single.

AND

You swap them for someone 'better' who also happens to be single.

This sounds like one of them parties Greg66 keeps going on about.

As you go through the front door do you put your keys in a hat and have a game of lucky dip at the end? Hoping your selected 'car' goes like a Ferrari! That bit always sounded the most fun.

You return the "keys" at the end of the week mind....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    id go to that if i thought i had a single female friend that would be willing to accompany me to it
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    a swinger's party?
  • londonlivvy
    You lot have active imaginations. No fruit bowls of keys, I'm afraid.

But spasypaddy, do ask around - you'd be surprised who's game for this kind of caper. Female colleague who's single?
  • DonDaddyD
    edited July 2011

But spasypaddy, do ask around - you'd be surprised who's game for this kind of caper. Female colleague who's single?

Who said anything about fruit bowls. I said a hat... fruit bowls are used for the other party you dirty minx!

Still, Livvy, I don't truly understand how you are still single (assuming you are).

However, I'm to understand EKE_38BPM is single.

Just saying...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I do know that at least one person on here is a swinger, but I'm going to protect their privacy and not name names.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I do know that at least one person on here is a swinger, but I'm going to protect their privacy and not name names.

Related to your funny story? Or some big drunken reveals at the Morpeth?

Or someone you met at the 'Peth that you met at a prior engagement?

Anyway you should go to Livvy's "party". Not with Livvy of course, that way you can ditch the burd you came with for Livvy and ride with her into the Sunset happily ever after.
    Food Chain number = 4

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Anyway you should go to Livvy's "party". Not with Livvy of course, that way you can ditch the burd you came with for Livvy and ride with her into the Sunset happily ever after.

I missed the 2nd 'with' there on first read...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    dhope wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I missed the 2nd 'with' there on first read...

Don't you mean the third 'with'?

DDD, I'm saying nothing about how I know the swinger or where I first met them.

• spasypaddy

i'll see what i can find. looking at the women already going makes me want to go even more...
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Hot damn!

This sounds like a sex slave market!

Awesome!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    Stop this. Stop this now I say, now......

I went to a wife swapping party once. Got a deep fat fryer for mine. I'm now divorced and the fryer doesn't work any more. Life's like that.
  • londonlivvy
    @DDD - not strictly speaking my party - am just spreading the word of one organised by a friend as when I was single I thought these bring and buy sales were genius.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DDD, I'm saying nothing about how I know the swinger or where I first met them.

OK OK . .

It was me . .

Imagine my surprise when dressed as little Bo Peep and surrounded by 15 of my closest friends and parents whose mask should have slipped off but EKE etc. I should have recognised him earlier by the bend in his wand (it was a nursery rhyme / Hogawarts theme "event") but my mind was fully engaged in remembering Magnus Magnussons CV and counting from 50 backwards.

Rubbing up against another man you know can be awkward but we got on with small talk - how we laughed at our relative views on Campag / Shimano - the evening simply flew. Our companion asked if we could please concentrate on her needs - women heh - all about them . .
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • EKE_38BPM
    Greg T wrote:

Rubbing up against another man you know can be awkward but we got on with small talk - how we laughed at our relative views on Campag / Shimano - the evening simply flew. Our companion asked if we could please concentrate on her needs - women heh - all about them . .
    If I remember correctly, you put the RAM in SRAM.

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Greg T
    ROFL! :lol:
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    If I remember correctly, you put the RAM in SRAM.

and you put Mano in Shimano - big boy.

Did you ever find your watch BTW?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • EKE_38BPM
    Yeah, but it needed professional cleaning and the jeweller gave me very dirty looks when I went to collect it.

ITB puts the Camp in Campagnolo.

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Interesting point, not sure if this is "typical":

I am 36, most of my friends in London are the same age group as I am. Out of 20 odd people I know - only 2 people are married and 1 person is in a long term relationship.

It almost seems like London can be a lonely place, but I guess you could make this kind of stat up for any city.

**2 people are having affairs that I know of too...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,947
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Interesting point, not sure if this is "typical":

I am 36, most of my friends in London are the same age group as I am. Out of 20 odd people I know - only 2 people are married and 1 person is in a long term relationship.

It almost seems like London can be a lonely place, but I guess you could make this kind of stat up for any city.

**2 people are having affairs that I know of too...

In my office of 10, there's only 1 guy who's single.
  • EKE_38BPM
    I'm also 36 (and a Londoner) and I would guess that GTV's account sounds about right. It explains why dating sites are so popular. I personally find them a target rich environment and a happy hunting ground.

Only one of my close friends is married and he met his wife on a dating site.

• DonDaddyD
    @DDD - not strictly speaking my party - am just spreading the word of one organised by a friend as when I was single I thought these bring and buy sales were genius.

Who's the lucky blighter? Does he ride a bike is he on here? It's W1 init!!!! How could you!?
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I'm also 36 (and a Londoner) and I would guess that GTV's account sounds about right. It explains why dating sites are so popular. I personally find them a target rich environment and a happy hunting ground.

Only one of my close friends is married and he met his wife on a dating site.

I'm 29 as are most of my friends. The majority are in long term relationships or married and thinking about starting a family. I have 2 friends that are serial singletons. Although one (great great guy) was going for it a week ago in a eyebrow raising way.

Never been on a dating sites, don't believe in them.
    Food Chain number = 4

• EKE_38BPM
    DonDaddyD wrote:

They do exist, honest.

• spasypaddy
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

They do exist, honest.
    alot of fun can be had on them.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Does anyone meet the old fashioned way anymore?

y'know, pi$$ed in a nightclub?

Thats how I met my wife - Madame Jojo's in Soho - Apparently I took a dare for £50 from a bloke to walk down a street with a box on my head.

4 years married this year.
  • DonDaddyD
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Does anyone meet the old fashioned way anymore?

y'know, pi$$ed in a nightclub?

Thats how I met my wife - Madame Jojo's in Soho - Apparently I took a dare for £50 from a bloke to walk down a street with a box on my head.

4 years married this year.

I confused did you then use the £50 to walk up... There seems to be a huge part of the story missing.

Oh and I'm a firm believer in meeting the old fashion way. Oh and I did.
    Food Chain number = 4

• spasypaddy
    oh i still try and pull when on a night out but my mates are getting increasingly lazy on going out so i have to resort to other methods.

i havent resorted to the gaffa tape, hammer and a dark alley yet
  • EKE_38BPM
    I've done my fair share of 'the old fashioned way', but as you get older the pickings are less rich. Lots of the bunnies already belong to another hunter.

Online though, all of the bunnies are looking to be hunted. Shooting fish in a barrel, to continue the hunting analogy.

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    spasypaddy wrote:
    oh i still try and pull when on a night out but my mates are getting increasingly lazy on going out so i have to resort to other methods.

i havent resorted to the gaffa tape, hammer and a dark alley yet

"does this soft cloth smell of chloroform?"
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter