What could Wiggins have done?

phreak
phreak Posts: 2,941
edited July 2011 in Pro race
Sky seem to have done well since his departure, with EBH riding well lately, Thomas doing well and Uran in 10th spot overall, so it seems he'd have had decent support in the mountains.

Would he have made the podium (thus far) do you think?

Comments

• joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    He was sitting pretty and I think a lot of this is gonna go down to the TT, didn't he beat Evans in the Dauphine TT? I think he could have made the podium (depends what happens over the next two days).
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,795
    he stood a reasonable chance given what we have seen

decent enough descender in the wet thats for sure

the pressure may have cracked him.... who knows

but you have to be in it to win it

on balance it was not a pie in the sky target to get on the podium
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Although he'd have done infinitely better than last year, I reckon he'd have missed out on the podium by losing too much time in the coming stages.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,795
    Luckao wrote:
    Although he'd have done infinitely better than last year, I reckon he'd have missed out on the podium by losing too much time in the coming stages.

yeah maybe.... but if he was within 2mins of a 3rd placed schleck going into a tt?

well we are never going to know now

perhaps the gaps created over the next few days will give us a better idea?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Well, I'd put Basso ahead of Wiggo as a GT rider - and Basso isn't particularly doing well (by his standards). So not sure that Wiggo would still be on for a podium spot, but certainly top 10 I would think.*

*Pure conjecture
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    I just remember him staking a lot on the time trial in 2009, and the advantage he appeared to expect ("it's Wiggo time!") didn't really materialise, certainly not over Armstrong.

I'm not really basing the conjecture about his climbing on anything substantial, only that he's never really been explosive in the mountains. He hung in there in 2009. Likewise for his Dauphine win, although the onus was on everybody else in that one. A couple of explosive attacks from Contador to take Evans and the Schlecks with him and a podium suddenly looks a lot less feasible.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    For me he'd be top 3.

If was at the sametime as Cuddles going into tomorrow maybe just maybe he'd have been looking at yellow Sunday.

Reason I say this I have no doubt he'd beat all the other GC on Saturdays TT.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    At this point it's tough to say he'd be out of contention for podium at least. The next stages would have been the tough ones though.
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    He might have done very well at a personal level but the cards would be very different. No great break for Geraint in the Pyrenees, probably no white jersey for Uran (although GT could have expected to keep it a couple of days longer), probably less freedom for EBH the last couple of days. Exposure wise the team has done extremely well in his absence (and I still think their support in the mountains is weak compared to the other GC contenders, even compared with Europcar).
    Could Brad have made the podium? That we shall never know. There is a lot of chance in the Tour (and a lot of skill in turning it to your advantage).
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    to be fair basso's in 9th 4 mins back. Don't think he would be any worse. I also think he would more likely be seating close to cuddles, and with a good tt winning the thing would not be out of the question. But we will never know.

Lets hope he bin's the Olympics next year
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Agree with Cal, he would be there with Evans or there abouts and can TT better than most of the GC's.

I hope he rides the Vuelta and podiums there. And then he can sack off the Olympics and have another crack at the Tour
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    If Voeckler can hold on this far then Brad could certainly have made the podium. Maybe wouldn't have enjoyed the climb up to Plateau de Beille thoguh
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    No.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Pokerface
    Wiggo wouldn't be able to hold the accelerations that Bertie and Evans have made. He is more of a plodder like Basso. He wouldn't be up there with Evans. I know there is a lot of Wiggins love here, but he just isn't THAT good.
  • Turfle
    Evans is a complete plodder.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Turfle wrote:

Have you ever watched cycling before?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pokerface
    iainf72 wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

I'm sure he has. Back in the 90s
  • iainf72
    Pokerface wrote:
    Wiggo wouldn't be able to hold the accelerations that Bertie and Evans have made. He is more of a plodder like Basso. He wouldn't be up there with Evans. I know there is a lot of Wiggins love here, but he just isn't THAT good.

I say he'd be about where Danielson is in terms of level. Basso has only lost time going downhill really, and that's not surprising.
  • Turfle
    iainf72 wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

Evans is a diesel, like Basso. He does not have the acceleration of Contador or Sanchez or Andy. He has been criticised for it for his entire career.

You genuinely want to argue this point?
  • Turfle
    Pokerface wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

I'm sure he has. Back in the 90s

Yeah, that made sense.
  • iainf72
    Turfle wrote:

Evans is a diesel, like Basso. He does not have the acceleration of Contador or Sanchez or Andy. He has been criticised for it for his entire career.

So remind me how he beat Contador earlier in the race?

And he always goes across to moves a lot quicker than Basso, who is a real diesel.

I'll grant everyone, he used to be an awful wheel sucker.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4v8hi ... di-co_news

1:40 into this is some of the worst wheelsucking I've seen in the history or wheelsucking
  • Turfle
    iainf72 wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

So remind me how he beat Contador earlier in the race?

And he always goes across to moves a lot quicker than Basso, who is a real diesel.

Are you referring to his win up the Mur de Bretagne? He won an exhausted sprint on a basically flat final after a tiny hill. Contador has never been able to sprint, and was woefully out of form.

His two best wins: FW, he outlasted the punchier riders. WC he rode away from his two companions while the other favourites sat up behind.

And most importantly, Wiggins was closing gaps quicker than Evans in the Dauphine,

You KNOW Evans doesn't have great acceleration.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,204
    I reckon he'd have stayed in the group with the main guys in the Pyrenees and perhaps lost a few seconds in the last two days so probably in the top 4 at present with a final placing depending on the balance of time lost /gained in the Alps and TT. A podium was a real chance though with top 5 likely given that a lot of the second string contenders have failed. He was well ahead of Basso when he crashed out. Credit to Sky for the way they have adapted though, they been in the main breaks nearly everyday since taken a second stage win regained the white jersey possibly would have won another stage but for Flecha getting knocked off. Could still end up with a top 10 on GC too.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2011
    Pross wrote:
    Credit to Sky for the way they have adapted though, they been in the main breaks nearly everyday since taken a second stage win regained the white jersey possibly would have won another stage but for Flecha getting knocked off. Could still end up with a top 10 on GC too.

+1

Them and Omega have risen to the challenge of not having a leader while Astana have looked lost and Radioshack have made calamity contagious.

Sky have had someone in the top six on 11 or the 17 stages. (Only HTC, with 12, have more top 6 finishes).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    Turfle wrote:
    And most importantly, Wiggins was closing gaps quicker than Evans in the Dauphine,

You KNOW Evans doesn't have great acceleration.

Evans had improved since the Dauphine. Wiggins may have as well, we just don't know.

He's got a reasonable acceleration. Basso is a diesel. There's an attack, he'll be distanced, but Evans will usually be there a lot quicker. Basso will get back but it will take a bit longer.

This was another one where he showed a decent kick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5VcTUpLFh0

About 45s in

I'm not saying he's a Contador, but he's got way more of a kick than Basso.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    will he be able to ride the Vuelta? When will the collarbone be fixed?
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • iainf72
    will he be able to ride the Vuelta? When will the collarbone be fixed?

He should be able to ride it without a problem. He's already training on the road so no problem
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:
    He should be able to ride it without a problem. He's already training on the road so no problem

Could he be ready for the Tour de Pologne? The advert tells me all the great names of cycling will be there
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    On the steep climbs it does seem like Evans is a bit of a chugger, but he has been on super form and able close down gaps with slightly extended efforts. I am just going on what I have seen of Evans riding (this tour and previous ones).
  • yenrod
    yenrod Posts: 135
    I'll never for the life of me understand, or forget, last year, when the tour went over the cobbles - Thomas was going like a train ! CHANCE OF YELLOW + THE STAGE and what did he say at the finish "i held back because i was thinking of Bradley" ???????

God Almighty: give me strength....

Seriously, honestly - what was that MAN thinking about..... !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello - anybody in their 'G' ??????

Funny thing was Bradley Wiggins thus AFTER the stage announced he'd be back this yr to do the Paris-Roubaix....built like a brick'house is our Brads....y'know ??

- Fact is I feel it wouldve been better that Thomas would've left Sky...Wiggins is an under-perfomer...ok Ive met the bloke and he is SUPER professional etc...but a good ride in 2009 followed by 20 something last...and this yr a medical situ....

So far a Norwegian has shone & WON a Columbian is on for the White jersey - Thomas didnt get it last as he was 'thinking of Bradley'...

Go later into the year - Tour of Britain...which Sky shouldve won...and what did they do - back a Australian sprinter..but failed the overall..Sky, to me are simply under performing...Dave Brailsford needs to change his drink I think.. !!!!!!!!

NOW: BW is going to miss the chance of ressurecting his year ie the TOB for = the vuelta... ? what will he do in that...other than more than likely ride with Cummings....he just fails on all counts...David Millar was correct: Garmin made and under them BW flourished & he pushed that away...oh well at least others are winning eh Sky !!!!!!!
    [;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]