Gisburn Vs Cannock - And Camping help...

vinny1511
vinny1511 Posts: 15
edited July 2011 in Routes
Afternoon Guys,

Will shortly be planning a ride to either Gisburn or Cannock; Myself, and my riding buddies are riding mainly trail bikes, of around 140mm.

I have recently conquered, the Afan Forest routes; Whites Level, W2 and also Brecfa Abergorlech Trail. Ideally, we are looking for something that requires similar technical ability that is not 400 miles from Norwich.

We are prepared to travel around 200-250 miles, and would prefer to camp rather than stay in a B & B to keep the costs down. We have limited camping gear, but all the essentials we require to camp.

Does anyone know of any decent camping sites (Close to) Gisburn/Cannock Chase - Ideally, we are wanting to hire a tent also to save on the hassle of erecting etc.

Can anyone recommend any other trails other than Gisburn/Cannock that require a similar level of technical skill as Afan/Brechfa that are not more than 250 miles from Norwich ?

What is everyones views on Gisburn/Cannock - Ive read mixed reviews of Gisburn, many have said theres alot of fireroad climbing and not much in the way descent....?

Thanks in advance of your help !!!

-Vinny-

Comments

• grant43
    grant43 Posts: 170
    i live near lee and cragg quarries and 140mms plenty there,should be fine round gisburn my commencal has 140mm and it was brilliant,cant say about cannock because ive not been,140mm plenty for coed llandegla aswell youll get away with 140mm at most places.
    keep smiling no matter how much it hurts,commencal ramones 1 loving it lol
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Your bike will be fine at Gisburn as Grant says, you could do Gisburn and Lee quarry if your camping over a weekend.

Gisburn does have fire roads but its still worth a look were as lee has more techy downhill sections but both have sections with berms etc.

Gisburn Black sections will have you screaming for more were as Lee black sections will have you screaming for your life!!! :shock:
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • darren555
    darren555 Posts: 194
    Cannock is my local ride. Just got back from there actually. I love it for what it is, but would I travel from Norwich to ride there? No way.
    Instead of just looking at trail centres, why don't you look at somewhere like the Peak District or Yorkshire?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Indeed for a trip away I'd look more at the Peaks, Cannock chase is good but in terms of mileage its small.

Peak District = loads of top natural routes everywhere.

Alternatively for 200-250 miles you could do the Lake District which has Whinlatter and then tons of awesome natural trails too.

On a side note where do you bike in Norwich, on a certain heath in the city per chance? ;) Be good to find more riders in Norwich.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Gisburn Black sections will have you screaming for more were as Lee black sections will have you screaming for your life!!!

That is so true!

Not sure where you got the feedback about the fireroads from, Gisburn used to mainly fireroads, now its much more singletrack than fireroad. In fact we removed another mile of fireroad at the beginning of the year with some more handbuilt singletrack (and are currently building a new long section of singletrack to remove more fireroad).

There's a write up of Gisburn with a few pics here inclufding a map of the routes you can download. Also a map of Lee & Cragg quarries for downloading here.

There's also loads of natural riding, particualrly around Rossendale where Lee & Cragg quarries are and even more in Calderdale next door. If you click on the 'Where to Ride' tab at the top of those pages there's an interactive map showing key riding areas. I'm still populating the route descriptions and uploading maps but hopefully should have more there including some GPS files of some of the natural routes.

I've ridden Afan many times, if you're happy there you'll be fine with most of Gisburn although the big berms may freak you out a bit first time. As the others have said Lee is more technical but still mainly pretty rideable. Cragg iis superb, quite man made but excellent riding.

Campsite info here.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • vinny1511
    vinny1511 Posts: 15
    Hi Guys.

Thanks for your help - I will only be away for the weekend, arriving Saturday Morning, and leaving late Sunday Afternoon.

As a result, considering the feedback etc - Gisburn and Lee Quarry sound like an excellent choice, and probably do-able in the time we have (Or at least some of it will be).

The idea of the Lake District and Yorkshire is also appealing, but id rather a little longer to explore the huge number of trails......

@Briggo - Yes, The Heath you mention is certainly somewhere we frequent now and again, however as with most of Norwich its flat as a pancake so not much choice. We ride Thetford once a month, and get down to the Downs now an again too.....As a rule, we try and get out of the county every couple of months to keep it varied and interesting hence our last trip to Afan.

Once again - Thanks for your help guys.

-Vinny-
  • I'd go Cannock personally.

Personally I wouldn't travel too far for the Gisburn trail alone... its good, but not one to make a huge trip over... more of a local loop.

I enjoyed Cannock, long ride with a bit of everything.

Depends if you want to ride different places on different days I guess. Not sure what else is at Cannock.
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    I'd go Cannock personally.

Personally I wouldn't travel too far for the Gisburn trail alone... its good, but not one to make a huge trip over... more of a local loop.

I enjoyed Cannock, long ride with a bit of everything.

Depends if you want to ride different places on different days I guess. Not sure what else is at Cannock.
    +1 to this. Personally I'd ride the Long Mynd on the Saturday (maps available from Plush Hill Cycles), stay in Church Stretton on the Sat night then ride Cannock Chase on the way home :-)