General Idiocy (GI)

Kaise
Kaise Posts: 2,498
edited July 2011 in The Crudcatcher
This thread isnt about Fails and Fecktards, its and Fools and Fannying Around

Picture the scene
Order new chain rings 2 weeks ago from a cycle centre in the coventry area (shall remain nameless)
"we have ordered them direct from the supplier"
"the supplier has sent them to the wrong address"
"i know the supplier well, he lives round the corner i'll pick them up from him"
"we dont know where they are i'll call you bacjk"
"The supplier has sent them directly to you"

They arrived this morning 2 weeks after i ordered them in a jiffy bag full of holes with writing on the front similar to that of a 4 year old downs-a-bifida with a scrawled note saying;

"sorry these got sent from the supplier to us marked for forwarding on to you're address"

I paid for next day delivery and i then had to trek across bristol, past work to DPD to get them

HOW ARE YOU STILL IN BUSINESS

this thread isnt reserved for shoping, its anything you can think of where common sense seems to have disappeared and you thought you'd seen and heard everything and then someone excels themselves in stupidity!

I have a few stories for this

Comments

• thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    I've bought a 32 channel SSL G-Series mixing console.

It's 2.65m long, and on it's back, 60cm wide.

It won't get into the studio.

:roll:

Feck.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730

It's 2.65m long, and on it's back, 60cm wide.

It won't get into the studio.

:roll:

Feck.

Time for a bit of wall restructuring then :lol:
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • thekickingmule
    Looks that way, I shall see if the wooden 'template' fits.....
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Kaise
    Working with some 440V power services on a ship, the connector is a crimp type and there is a special tool for it. One of the inspectors has just seen a connector that has been soldered on!

Soldered a criped contact on to a solid copper rod

well done brains!
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Just rang my dentist to cancel an appointment on Thursday, he said he has to give me a filling, firstly because I'm at work and secondly I don't want filling sensitive tooth while I'm on holiday, I did that last year and it was horrible,anyway this is the conversation.

"Hi, I'd like to cancel my appointment on thurs blah blah"
    "Ok when do you want to rearrange it for?"
    "I'm away now until the 10th September, have you got anything on the 14th, I'm off that day"
    "Sorry, no the dentist leaves at the end of August, he's being replaced but he needs to finish off all his work by then"
    "But I'm not here until the 10th September so I can't come in before then"
    "I've got the 5th September, he can see you then"
    "Thats still not the 10th though is it, unless I post him my teeth"
    "Oh no, he can't look at them like that, you need to attend"
    "I know that, I don't have false teeth, tell you what, just cancel it and I'll rearrange it when I get back"
    "Ok but it will have to be before the start of September as the dentist is leaving"
    "Ok, noted, but it won't be"
    "well it will have to be, goodbye"
    Then she puts the phone down on me like I'm the spacker!
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Kaise
    ^^ a prime expample of GI!

its like seriously wtf are you on!
  • Gazlar
    about £3 an hour hopefully, or they should be, abolish the minimum wage for mongs
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • GhallTN6
    GhallTN6 Posts: 505
    A design team are in today to do a pitch.. so instead of using our 32" Panasonic wall mounted HD TV connected to a PC with HDMI Cable to show the PDF presentation, they have decided to cart a 27" Imac around london to show it on.. and because they've had to put it on the table, everyone is trying to look round each other to see it..
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    GhallTN6 wrote:
    A design team are in today to do a pitch.. so instead of using our 32" Panasonic wall mounted HD TV connected to a PC with HDMI Cable to show the PDF presentation, they have decided to cart a 27" Imac around london to show it on.. and because they've had to put it on the table, everyone is trying to look round each other to see it..

morons..as an audio visual tech i have to deal with dicks like this on regular basis!!! :lol:
  • Gazlar
    welshkev wrote:
    GhallTN6 wrote:

morons..as an audio visual tech i have to deal with dicks like this on regular basis!!! :lol:

You mean you're a sky installer ;)
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • welshkev
    Gazlar wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    GhallTN6 wrote:

TBH mate i sometimes wish i was, they probably make more money than me and don't work as hard :lol:
  • Gazlar
    welshkev wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    GhallTN6 wrote:

TBH mate i sometimes wish i was, they probably make more money than me and don't work as hard :lol:

No, your thinking of Women, not Sky installers *puts tin hat on
    spam_laser.gif
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • welshkev
    Gazlar wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    GhallTN6 wrote:

No, your thinking of Women, not Sky installers *puts tin hat on
    spam_laser.gif

:lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Poor you :shock:

A mixing console generally requires massive reworking of a studio's wiring and layout anyway, no?
  • Kaise
    A mixing console generally requires massive reworking of a studio's wiring and layout anyway, no?

there is reworking the studio layout and wiring, but i dont think he can actually get the thing IN the studio at all!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ah, I see :lol:
    When ours was installed, the window from the control room to the studio had to be removed - which is a significantly massive task in itself.
    Luckily, that was before I started here though :D

Anyway, on the general thread of idiocy, and studio-related malarkey, I've recently worked with someone who's ditched their massive protools recording rig, and claims that the fruity computer can now do all of it by using just software - without any expensive bespoke hardware.
    He gave a good sales patter, and I must admit, I was starting to think his cheaper method seemed like a great idea.
    Until he asked if we could record onto our expensive, bespoke hardware-assisted system, because his newfangled software only approach could, of course, not handle enough channels to record a whole drumkit (let alone a band).
    Yep, he's bought the particular fruity company's cool-aid, and fallen for it, hook line and sinker :roll:
  • thekickingmule
    kaiser83 wrote:

there is reworking the studio layout and wiring, but i dont think he can actually get the thing IN the studio at all!
    Yep, full rewiring of it will happen. The studio is currently being built, the plaster dried over the weekend. I'm not looking forward to wiring up several D-Sub connectors, all, of course, SSL specials.
    There is a small lobby to the studio, one door goes to the left to the control room, the other to the right, the live room. Because of the length, it won't fit into either of them :?

Looks like it's going to have to get completely dismantled when it gets here, just to get it in! That's going to be a busy day.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro