Gerraint Thomas to leave Sky?

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited July 2011 in Pro race
Don't know if this has already been on forum. Apologies if this the case.

While on business in Wales yesterday, was reading the local rag and there was an article about G possibly moving on from Sky. He is in the last year of his 2 year contract and with this years performances has attracted the attention of the other teams. Apperently David Millar has been tapping him up to join Garmin/Cervelo.
Would this be a good move for him? Which other teams would make a good fit for his potential. Staying at Sky might prove detremental for progression to team leader.
Thoughts anyone.?
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Well as he's just signed a 3yr contract extension I doubt it.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Discussed, but all moot as he signed a 3 year extension yesterday.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Apperently David Millar has been tapping him up to join Garmin/Cervelo.
    I think this came from an interview with Millar after the TTT when Garmin had helped to keep Thomas out of the yellow jersey. The interviewer (Boulting I think) asked Millar if he'd said anything to G after the TTT, and Millar replied "Yeah, I said come and ride for us" and laughed. Don't think this was a concentrated effort to try and sign him or anything.

Given G's performances this year I think it makes sense for Sky to sign him up on a longish term contract.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Will he ever be a team leader? Or is his role going to be super-domestique?
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    clanton wrote:

The important thing is, time is still on his side, i would love to see him as a Leader, whether it will happen or not i don't know.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    clanton wrote:

In what type of race? I'd imagine he'll get a free role in the classics next year alongside Flecha.

In the future I think he could challenge in week-long stage races like Paris-Nice.
  • clanton
    If he stays at Sky though there is also EBH who is shaping up to be a great classics rider (although didin't feature this year) - and rumour has it Cav will be moving to Sky and he says he has Classics amibitions. Will there be room for Geraint too? I admire the man and think he has potential - but I'm not convinced he has what it takes to win at that sort of level. Nor is he a GT GC contender, maybe a stage winner?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    Given how well he rode in Flanders in support of Flecha this year, I think Thomas will be the leader of Sky in this race next year.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    his twitter feed kiboshed this rumour as well

I can see him developing into a full GC rider, if he had got back to the peloton after waiting for wiggo he could have tested himself using uran and xandio as support, and he's still not that far on the tour gc anyway...

given the way that EBH chucked the stage away yesterday I can see him being flogged, Dave Brailsford can't have been happy about him coming second
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    edhornby wrote:
    given the way that EBH chucked the stage away yesterday I can see him being flogged, Dave Brailsford can't have been happy about him coming second

To be fair he made up for it today.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • clanton
    edhornby wrote:

To be fair he made up for it today.
    Quite - I think I'm correct saying EBH has Sky's only two tour stage victories to date?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    edhornby wrote:

He didn't chuck the stage away, he was simply beaten by a more experienced rider. That's life.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    in a 2 versus 1 situation EBH would have had to ride pretty well to win I think.
  • clanton
    in a 2 versus 1 situation EBH would have had to ride pretty well to win I think.
    Philippe Gilbert managed it ;-)
    EBH got caught napping - unlucky perhaps but also a bit due to inexperience I think. Great ride by him today!
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    yeah, he did, but against two riders that have the tactics of a tic-tac