when do you replace your kit?

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
After washing, spraying and filling with bicarb I think its time to bin my 2nd pair of spesh bg MTB shoes, apart from the smell they have already started splitting at the seams, they also need at least 2 pairs of insoles to keep the hotspots at bay.

I'll miss them as I did the last pair ;(

Perhaps the next pair should be more waterproof.
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Not worn anything out yet (in 17000 odd miles) so I don't know! :lol:

If it helps, the Lidl MTB shoes don't split...........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    My cheap and cheerful M076 MTB SPDs are on about 10k miles with original cleats, the mesh has worn through a little but they'll keep on going I recon.

In answer, ridden till destruction!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Apart from a small tear from the chainwheel during oan off, my Spesh Tahoe are doing fine after 3 years - use them until they can be used no more!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    It is only the stubborn understains that are holding together my commuting shoes.
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    Shimano MT-41 about 3 years old and 14k miles on them, cleats are getting pretty warn and the buckles are now taped on (tape really does fix everything) but really should be replaced soon as seams are slowly going. However they are a part of me, literally, feel bad at throwing them away...maybe just one more year and some more tape!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    gert_lush wrote:
    Shimano MT-41 about 3 years old and 14k miles on them, cleats are getting pretty warn and the buckles are now taped on (tape really does fix everything) but really should be replaced soon as seams are slowly going. However they are a part of me, literally, feel bad at throwing them away...maybe just one more year and some more tape!

Know what you mean. My current shoes have been going strong for 3 years but now that the sole has started to split by the cleat it is probably time for a new pair. Although I'm reluctant to replace them as they are the most comfortable pair of cycling shoes I've ever owned.

Mike
  • Just replaced my DHB R1s with some Carnac shoes. They'd done about 18 months commuting service and were looking tatty, they had also become quite uncomfortable. The main reason, of course, was that I saw the Carnac shoes on eBay for a stupendous price (from Yoevil cycle centre) and really wanted them. :roll:
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    Anyone got any nuggets of wisdom for removing the smell from bike shoes. I have Superb pair of Shimano TR51's that i don't want to bin but are currently under my desk and i can smell them from quite a way off!

Took a soaking on monday and have gone from ok smealling to eye wateringly evil pretty quickly!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I use a Boots own brand deodorising shoe spray EVERY time I use my cycling shoes.

They never smell.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I posted on here about a month ago about my smelly BG commuting shoes. I tried everything and even put them in the washing machine as a last resort. They still knock me backwards when I open my locker at work to get them out to come home. :cry:
  • Bought my Shimano MTB MT31 SPD shoes in Jan 2009, bit worn around the heels and on original cleats. Used 5 days a week so probably done 8500 miles. ish
    I've got through a few pairs of charcoal insoles mind
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Gussio wrote:
    It is only the stubborn understains that are holding together my commuting shoes.

great young ones quote there
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    iPete wrote:
    My cheap and cheerful M076 MTB SPDs are on about 10k miles with original cleats, the mesh has worn through a little but they'll keep on going I recon.

In answer, ridden till destruction!

mine are wearing well too, I rode some older shimano mtb shoes to destruction too, I will wear the current ones out then I think I will get some proper road shoes and pedals
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Anyone got any nuggets of wisdom for removing the smell from bike shoes. I have Superb pair of Shimano TR51's that i don't want to bin but are currently under my desk and i can smell them from quite a way off!

Took a soaking on monday and have gone from ok smealling to eye wateringly evil pretty quickly!

As KB said, Boots' own brand shoe-deodorizer is very good. I think it's bactericidal so it kills the things that create the smells (that may not be true, but it makes me happy). That, and stuff lots of old newsprint in your shoes when they're wet to help dry them out. It helps a great deal.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    put a little athletes foot powder in the shoes every day. occasionally put the shoes in the washing machine on a cold wash (or bucket of cold water) to wash out any powder.

No smell, healthy shoes, healthy feet, cheap, winner.

That is all.
    Peter
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    Jeesh, what do you lot do with your shoes!! :lol:

I've done between 9-10,000 miles in my 2009 Spesh BG sports and granted they don't look like new and they might smell after a wet ride but they certainly look like they've got another couple of years left in them. I don't tend to do anything special, just dry them near a radiator and give them the odd spray of deodoriser now and again.
  • itboffin
    This thread is useless without images

here's one I found earlier :shock:

9b7347a8-11e1-4bc1-90b3-7ed6b3a6bbc9.Medium.jpg
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    funny-pictures-cat-hates-what-he-sees.jpg
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    davis wrote:

As KB said, Boots' own brand shoe-deodorizer is very good. I think it's bactericidal so it kills the things that create the smells (that may not be true, but it makes me happy). That, and stuff lots of old newsprint in your shoes when they're wet to help dry them out. It helps a great deal.

Off to Boots at lunch then. If don't keel over from the pong that is. I am currently hoping my colleagues don't hate me.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549

Try and avoid getting them wet in the first place. Get some good waterproof overshoes. My current commuter shoes - a pair of Lake MTB shoes don't smell at all and they've had over 2 years daily use.

If they get wet, get them dry pronto.
  • itboffin
    Blue insoles fitting and this morning I'm trying 1.5mm shims feels different, sort of more flat