A good speed for Road Cycling with an MTB bike

jt_6_4
jt_6_4 Posts: 39
edited July 2011 in Road beginners
A few months ago my brother and I started cycling on the road with our MTB bikes. Initially we were completing 6-10 mile rides at an average speed between 13-14mph but now do this sort of distance at the back end of 16mph or early 17s. We've also upped our distance to 20 miles and did a 28 mile-a the other day at an average of 16.4mph and it included a 2 mile, much slower off road section.

Now what we're wondering is 1. what's a good speed for riding mountain bikes on the road and 2. if we switched to road tyres/road bikes what sort of average speed increase might we expect?

Thanks and apologies if this is in the wrong forum (I wasn't sure whether to post it in MTB or Road).

Comments

• 22mph
    26mph
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • i've been riding mtb on the road with slicks for around 6 weeks and generally cover 30miles at a 16mph average, i think i could push harder if i had somebody to compete against, but i'm happy with my progress.

when i do shorter runs of around 15 miles i average 17.5mph

but my level of fitness was appalling and according to the nhs charts i was well over obese!!!
    To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid......

95kg to 87kg and dropping......

Gary Fisher - Tassajara
    Trek - 2.3
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    jt_6_4 wrote:
    Now what we're wondering is 1. what's a good speed for riding mountain bikes on the road and 2. if we switched to road tyres/road bikes what sort of average speed increase might we expect?.

How long is a piece of string?, totally depends on too many factors.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    A road bike is always going to be quicker... eventually I may add, not to upset anyone too much....
    why..? the gearing will get you... even a triple on a road bike has its granny ring at 30... thats a middle ring on an mtb, and even though the rider is 'hard' the temptation will be there to use a smaller gear than a road machine.
    I think most mtb ers will agree that going to a road machine is a bit of a culture shock as regards the gearings - 42/30/22 to a 53/39 .. :twisted:
  • jt_6_4
    22mph
    26mph

I think I'm a little off 22mph as I only peaked at 23mph this morning but averaged 17.7mph on a 22 mile run. Will keep pushing.
  • jt_6_4
    i've been riding mtb on the road with slicks for around 6 weeks and generally cover 30miles at a 16mph average, i think i could push harder if i had somebody to compete against, but i'm happy with my progress.

when i do shorter runs of around 15 miles i average 17.5mph

but my level of fitness was appalling and according to the nhs charts i was well over obese!!!

Sounds like you've been making good progress along similar lines to me and my brother. Keep up the good work.
  • jt_6_4
    danowat wrote:
    jt_6_4 wrote:
    Now what we're wondering is 1. what's a good speed for riding mountain bikes on the road and 2. if we switched to road tyres/road bikes what sort of average speed increase might we expect?.

How long is a piece of string?, totally depends on too many factors.

Factors then, tyre pressure? at 50psi on my mtb tyres this morning. Wind speed? 7mph according to the met office iphone app this morning. Elevation? Started at 29ft above see level, bottomed out at 3ft and maxed at 82ft.. Total gain was 118ft (all according to mapymyride.com) Time of day? I guess this could impact it as I've seen studies that show exercising mid/late afternoon is most productive.

Tbh on most of my rides I find the biggest factor to be the total gain. If I'm on a fairly flat run even on windy days I only drop up to 1mph on average. Same with tyre pressure, at 30psi the bike does drag a bit but the difference between 40 & 50psi seems negligible in comparison.
  • jt_6_4
    JGSI wrote:
    A road bike is always going to be quicker... eventually I may add, not to upset anyone too much....
    why..? the gearing will get you... even a triple on a road bike has its granny ring at 30... thats a middle ring on an mtb, and even though the rider is 'hard' the temptation will be there to use a smaller gear than a road machine.
    I think most mtb ers will agree that going to a road machine is a bit of a culture shock as regards the gearings - 42/30/22 to a 53/39 .. :twisted:

Do you mean by the lack of lower gears and struggling on climbs, the shear range or just how much faster you can go?

Thanks.