Silly money!

OffTheBackAdam
OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
http://www.stanjonescycles.co.uk/m3b75s ... Bike/RS_GB

£13275.57

:shock:
Who, in their right mind, would spend 13 Grand on a bike?
Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.

Comments

• Martincan
    Martincan Posts: 188
    Replica of Cavs bike in this tour, with the McLaren technology etc. is apparently on sale for around £17,000!! :shock:
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.....I have a lot of weakness!

My Blog: http://ipluswheels.wordpress.com/
  • Hi- Is this still for sale?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • weedy1
    weedy1 Posts: 143
    :shock:
    Who, in their right mind, would spend 13 Grand on a bike?

a fat dentist ? :lol:

I would if I'd won the 161mil eurolotto. Feck I'd even buy you one. :lol:
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Still seems better value than the 16k Euro for this steel fixed fork MTB :)

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/v ... bike-31018
    Simon
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    Probably get a real van Dyck work of art for that.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    People who buy that have a real passion for the sport. If I had the cash to buy it, why not? Some people buy fancy houses, some fancy cars, i'll be happy with fancy bikes!
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Yup - agree with MM. If I had the wedge I'd be riding a Storck with Lightweights and full carbon top of the range everything - I'd even go for Super Record 11.

But as I don't, I don't.

It's whatever floats your boat - and if you have the money, why not? Some people piss away wedges of cash down the pub each week, some people spend loads firing paintballs at each other, some spend it on bikes. I've no problem with that.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    People who buy that have a real passion for the sport. If I had the cash to buy it, why not? Some people buy fancy houses, some fancy cars, i'll be happy with fancy bikes!
    +1

Expensive bikes are bought by people who can afford them, like them and want them, simple as that. I don't know why people p*ss and whine so much about really expensive kit. If you can't afford it, so what, nobody cares, just stop p*ssing and whining.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • If i had the money i would buy that straight away! I love merckx frames. Especially Sylvain Chavanel's new one.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    If it brings the owner lotsa satisfaction then more power to them. You could ask the same question about those £300,000+ super cars you can see doing 5mph around the streets of London.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    HELL YEEEEEEEA id buy a few super bikes lol 13k would be the lowest i go :D
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • bivvy
    bivvy Posts: 23
    Fact remains a man or woman who works a little on his fitness, with sail by. And this bike is only about a bit extra lightness. Yes where a fraction of a sec counts on the line of the tour de france, it will make up that small difference, but that's the only place this has any real use. Sweeter changing gears maybe? Not that much difference in my book, that's about it!

At least an expensive car will make the driver much faster than skillful drivers in other cars.
  • bivvy
    Fact is with bikes - it's an exponential money pit above £3000, you end up paying a lot extra, for increasingly small returns, that even an experienced rider would not notice so much.

Yes maybe Alan Sugar will buy one of these to make him just a little bit faster, but he could make much more speed if he allocated the time to ride more.

No one will know it's expensive, unless they are eagle eyed and well informed. Your mates may if you tell them, but imagine that they then burn you off up the hill in a really cheap bike! not much fun!

I can only see a very limited market / use for these ultra expensive bikes that shave a few grams.
  • MountainMonster
    bivvy wrote:
    Fact remains a man or woman who works a little on his fitness, with sail by. And this bike is only about a bit extra lightness. Yes where a fraction of a sec counts on the line of the tour de france, it will make up that small difference, but that's the only place this has any real use. Sweeter changing gears maybe? Not that much difference in my book, that's about it!

At least an expensive car will make the driver much faster than skillful drivers in other cars.

At least people worry about following their heart, and buying what the really like, rather than only focusing on "can this make me x amount faster?".

While I agree performance may be minimal compared to say a 6k bike, it doesn't mean it's not one sweet bike! A ferrari will make that driver much faster for a while, but fact is, 90% of people driving couldn't handle a Ferrari, so they will enivitably crash. 300g by bye.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    That's quite nice apart from the white wheels. Spoils a good bike.

Could get an equally good bike for £10,000 less though....
    More problems but still living....
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    bivvy wrote:

If you will excuse me - Horlicks!

95% of the time car drivers will be stuck in traffic. They buy these cars to impress. Fact.

Plus, trained drivers in a piddly car can beat novices in supercars round the track because they know what they are doing, ie not going off in the first chicane.

(95% of statistics are made up) :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674

thats a laugh, as you say steel rigid MTB with dura ace and some chris king, how did they arrive at that RRP?

There is probably very little link between the cost of a person's bike and a person's passion for cycling. There is probably a better link to their income level though.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    kieranb wrote:

thats a laugh, as you say steel rigid MTB with dura ace and some chris king, how did they arrive at that RRP?

There is probably very little link between the cost of a person's bike and a person's passion for cycling. There is probably a better link to their income level though.

There is actually some nice kit on that 'bike', but it's primary purpose is not to be a bike but a work of art (or most ravishingly beautiful bike). Unfortunately, it fails on both counts.

The target audience for that thing is not the average cyclist, or indeed the above-average cyclist. It's made for poseurs where style is more important than substance and price is irrelevant as long as they can boast that it was high!
  • bivvy
    bivvy wrote:

At least people worry about following their heart, and buying what the really like, rather than only focusing on "can this make me x amount faster?".

While I agree performance may be minimal compared to say a 6k bike, it doesn't mean it's not one sweet bike! A ferrari will make that driver much faster for a while, but fact is, 90% of people driving couldn't handle a Ferrari, so they will enivitably crash. 300g by bye.

Hmmm, I was just saying why it is crazy to buy such a bike, as it is all about split seconds and they don't matter much to real riders. But if want to justify it on the basis of "the heart", then go ahead and do so. It's just crazy! You are not one of those that have splashed out 8k on a bike and are trying to justify it to yourself? Just a guess that it may be possible, don't know you at all, so I may be wrong there.

And on cars, most modern fearrais are much easier to drive than they used to be. Even lambos which used to be really hard are not so anymore. And anyway just get something like a Skyline, this makes it easy for anyone to gain a great deal. Whereas you would find it hard to gain much on this bike. Much, much, more is down to the rider. I've ridden by so many guys with expensive bikes, just b/c I am fit. I've not gone by guys in expensive fast cars, and I'm a good driver! As I said 3k on a bike is ok if you ride a lot, but 8k is really for pros who want a tiny edge. And let's not forget people are starving in Africa and need all the help they can get. In that sense I say, have a heart and donate the extra to them. You'll ride around feeling good that you did it ! And often instinct / heart is not always right, you need to balance it with the mind (used properly) too. if you look closely at what the heart wants you can find this feeling is sometimes ego, the need to appear / feel superior to others by what you own. Not saying it is true in your case though, you seem a decent guy from your reply.
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    No way that I'd spend £13,275.57, you can get it for £12,999.00 here:

http://triuk.com/product/eddy-merckx-2011-emx-7-525-anniversary-bike
  • MountainMonster
    bivvy wrote:
    bivvy wrote:

Hmmm, I was just saying why it is crazy to buy such a bike, as it is all about split seconds and they don't matter much to real riders. But if want to justify it on the basis of "the heart", then go ahead and do so. It's just crazy! You are not one of those that have splashed out 8k on a bike and are trying to justify it to yourself? Just a guess that it may be possible, don't know you at all, so I may be wrong there.

And on cars, most modern fearrais are much easier to drive than they used to be. Even lambos which used to be really hard are not so anymore. And anyway just get something like a Skyline, this makes it easy for anyone to gain a great deal. Whereas you would find it hard to gain much on this bike. Much, much, more is down to the rider. I've ridden by so many guys with expensive bikes, just b/c I am fit. I've not gone by guys in expensive fast cars, and I'm a good driver! As I said 3k on a bike is ok if you ride a lot, but 8k is really for pros who want a tiny edge. And let's not forget people are starving in Africa and need all the help they can get. In that sense I say, have a heart and donate the extra to them. You'll ride around feeling good that you did it ! And often instinct / heart is not always right, you need to balance it with the mind (used properly) too. if you look closely at what the heart wants you can find this feeling is sometimes ego, the need to appear / feel superior to others by what you own. Not saying it is true in your case though, you seem a decent guy from your reply.

Nope, I spent a grand total of about 700 on my bike. Fit my budget. My whole point is, if you have the disposable income, and can afford it, with out getting into trouble with the wife, then go for it. You only live once, might as well have something to show for it, something with heritage, something with heart, rather than saying "i won't be 10 minutes faster on that, so why should I".

Then again, everyone has different ideas of what their ideals are. For me, buying that bike would a big source of pride, I had the cash to spend/ saved for it, and had something to show for it. Is it practical? Maybe not, but neither is a Ferrari. I only spend my cash on bike stuff, so for me buying nice stuff is much more important than saving a few pennies (or in this case a few grand) and getting something I find not as nice just because I have a RC helicoprter or something to buy.

Everyone has a different view point on bikes in this price range though, it's like Rapha :D
  • bivvy
    bivvy wrote:
    bivvy wrote:

Nope, I spent a grand total of about 700 on my bike. Fit my budget. My whole point is, if you have the disposable income, and can afford it, with out getting into trouble with the wife, then go for it. You only live once, might as well have something to show for it, something with heritage, something with heart, rather than saying "i won't be 10 minutes faster on that, so why should I".

Then again, everyone has different ideas of what their ideals are. For me, buying that bike would a big source of pride, I had the cash to spend/ saved for it, and had something to show for it. Is it practical? Maybe not, but neither is a Ferrari. I only spend my cash on bike stuff, so for me buying nice stuff is much more important than saving a few pennies (or in this case a few grand) and getting something I find not as nice just because I have a RC helicoprter or something to buy.

Everyone has a different view point on bikes in this price range though, it's like Rapha :D

Yes no worries mate, I'm finding you a likeable bloke, enjoying the convo. I can see we have a different viewpoint. If it makes you feel good then go for it. My point was that after some personal study into psychology, and what I learnt about myself, what we think will be right for us often is not. Would not want you or anyone else to splash out a fortune and a year down the line, be no better off.

Most people who buy cars get a buzz for a short while then it wears off and it becomes just like any other car to them. Ok if you are rich to try this, but don't forget that people are starving right now. I would not spend this b/c I know myself enough to know it would not be worth it. I would not even go for the fast car. Studies have shown that contary to what people think, they get more happiness from giving and being involved with those they give to. Think secret millionaire. The book Authentic Happiness by the chairman of the American psychologies association, Martin Seligman is quite revealing about all this.

The pos upside of this - is that there are things we think are no good for us - that will make us happy in a lasting way. We just need to know what.
  • tigerben
    tigerben Posts: 233
    what is it with the dentist comments? This is the 3rd or 4th thread were they have cropped u as being purchasers of high end bikes. ... what story have a i missed?
  • bivvy
    tigerben wrote:
    what is it with the dentist comments? This is the 3rd or 4th thread were they have cropped u as being purchasers of high end bikes. ... what story have a i missed?

lol, was there a story in the press recently about them ripping people off and making a fortune out of doing procedures we don't need?
  • MountainMonster
    bivvy wrote:
    bivvy wrote:
    bivvy wrote:

Yes no worries mate, I'm finding you a likeable bloke, enjoying the convo. I can see we have a different viewpoint. If it makes you feel good then go for it. My point was that after some personal study into psychology, and what I learnt about myself, what we think will be right for us often is not. Would not want you or anyone else to splash out a fortune and a year down the line, be no better off.

Most people who buy cars get a buzz for a short while then it wears off and it becomes just like any other car to them. Ok if you are rich to try this, but don't forget that people are starving right now. I would not spend this b/c I know myself enough to know it would not be worth it. I would not even go for the fast car. Studies have shown that contary to what people think, they get more happiness from giving and being involved with those they give to. Think secret millionaire. The book Authentic Happiness by the chairman of the American psychologies association, Martin Seligman is quite revealing about all this.

The pos upside of this - is that there are things we think are no good for us - that will make us happy in a lasting way. We just need to know what.

Yeah a bit of banter is always good. Remember though, to be better off, as you say, is also in the mind. So while you may not gain numbers, you gain happiness, there fore better off! It is quite true though that it is a very psychological topic, bike world is full of psych "problems". Upgrades for instance haha. Oh well, spunking cash motivates me, so why not :D
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    lemoncurd wrote:
    No way that I'd spend £13,275.57, you can get it for £12,999.00 here:

http://triuk.com/product/eddy-merckx-2011-emx-7-525-anniversary-bike

Or, if you do it using your noggin, £10,400 to your door. £3k saving without even thinking too hard about it.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    bivvy wrote:

I agree it is about the rider but but the price for owning a 'dream' object has to be taken relatively - the price ratio between an £8000 bike compared to a shitty tesco full suspension at £70...so you would be comparing a GTR with a new car costing about £700, which just isn't possible. £8000 is more than i've ever spent on a bike, but it is an achievable figure for a dream object (bike or otherwise) for many people to work towards if they were to choose to spend their money that way. The equivalent dream car is always going to be out of reach for most people that covet it. It is the difference between being able to own, ride and enjoy Specialized McLaren Venge or be able to look at a poster of a McLaren F1 and hoping to be lucky to see someone else drive one on the road one day. So while the bike is expensive it is also relatively good value as far as consumerist dreams go.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Relatively speaking, 13K is not even a days wage for some people.

Most people won't earn 13k a day. Most people won't buy this bike.

If you can afford it, go for it. If not, don't get jealous. Life is too short either way.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.