what gearing for fred whitton?

jmeadows
jmeadows Posts: 335
hoping to enter & get a place on fred whitton in 2013. what gear ratios have people been doing this event on? dont know if i am dreaming about doing it on a 39/27, thinking of getting new crankset & am wondering whether to get a compact, or a 38T & getting different cassestte. i realise it depends how good a climber i am & what shape i am in etc, just trying to gauge opinions & experience, cheers
never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...

Comments

• Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Compact would be best. 34*27 would be a safe bet and even then unless you are a regular for hill climbing events you might be even still overgeared for the Hardknott at 100miles.

I have done the Fred 5 times and use a triple for Honister/Hardknott and I can a lot of sportives on a standard 53/39 gearing. I see more people walking on Hardknott(and many of the previous climbs) than actually riding.
    Brian B.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yes a triple would be best - you may not need it but I think 90% of the field would benefit from having one on a few of the climbs.

Alternatively just get the lowest gearing you can justify forking out on for one event - if you do have to walk part of Hardknott as has been said you'll be in the majority.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Triples are better than a 28 compact.
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    Triples are better than a 28 compact.

Better for what? And why?
  • jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    thanks for replies, somebody told me to get a 38t chainring and a 32 cassette, sounds like compact is best bet minimum, cheers
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    triples certainly go lower but in every other way they are inferior, IMO.

33/28 will be fine. At least that's what I usually run. If you can't get up HardKnott on that then I suspect you won't get up it with anything...
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • I ride a 52-42-32 triple as I like to tackle hills over 25% but on flat rides the big chain rings are great, I don't have more than one road bike or the time to change chain sets depending on the route- it's a go anywhere gear set. I find the snobbery in the pub and the start line a bit pointless when I'm riding past people walking in cleats up 25% tarmac. There are hills that I'd ride in a bigger gear on a short ride but after 100 miles my granny gear has saved me from humiliation. I'm planning the Fred and will enjoy my triple.
    Road: Scott Expert
    Mountain: Genesis Altitude 10
    Commuter: once was 1996 Specialized Rock Hopper A1
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I did it on 34-29. I had to push up Hardknott and consider myself a decent climber! It's not just about gears here - but sheer power as well!
    maddog 2 wrote:
    33/28 will be fine. At least that's what I usually run. If you can't get up HardKnott on that then I suspect you won't get up it with anything...

I'd disagree with this - I've got up Hardknott no probs on my mountain bike. My problem on the Fred was I simply couldn't push that gear up that gradient after that many miles. A 32 might have made the difference or it might not have but to say if you can't get up with 22/28 you can't get up anything suggests a lack of understanding of how gears work! :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    There isn't really an answer to this. I used a 34/29, my mate has done it several times with 39/25 as he's a lot stronger. I always choose a 29 for these sort of rides
  • I ride a 52-42-32 triple as I like to tackle hills over 25% but on flat rides the big chain rings are great, I don't have more than one road bike or the time to change chain sets depending on the route- it's a go anywhere gear set. I find the snobbery in the pub and the start line a bit pointless when I'm riding past people walking in cleats up 25% tarmac. There are hills that I'd ride in a bigger gear on a short ride but after 100 miles my granny gear has saved me from humiliation. I'm planning the Fred and will enjoy my triple.

Completely agree. I ride a 53-42-30 with a 12-23 10sp cassette. It's so much better than a compact. Got the big gears for descents and small gears for climbs plus all the sprockets are nicely spaced so I'm never struggling to find the right gear.

Personally, I couldn't give a toss what people think about triples, I ride quicker than most of them up hills.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I love the planning for a ride thats two years away !

In the meantime I'd get as many climbs under the belt and see how you get on.

A triple would get you lower, but do you need a triple for the rest of the year ?