Walna Scar Road "Improvements"

Matt_
Matt_ Posts: 82
edited October 2011 in Routes
http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/gtga_np_ ... wsid=21829

I really hope this isn't going to ruin what is currently a demanding, technical descent and turn it in to a smooth boring path...
Current Bikes:
2010 Trek Fuel EX8
2009 Specialized Allez Sport
2006 Scott Reflex 20

Lakes Mountain Bike Routes

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I hope they don't kill it like they've done with Chapel Gate in the Peak District :roll:
    Before:
    11%2705%2718%20Chapel%20Gate%204038.JPG
    And after:
    11%2705%2718%20Chapel%20Gate%2002904.JPG

:cry:
    I love Walna scar but if they do this to it I'm afraid I just couldn't go back there.
  • kathg
    kathg Posts: 142
    Oh Noooooo, what the hell??? That was one of my favourite Peak descents :cry: How could they? Who did it and was there no consultation with local mtb clubs/ shops or anything?
  • sniper68
    kathg wrote:
    How could they? Who did it and was there no consultation with local mtb clubs/ shops or anything?
    The Park authority,ie the land owners.The road is a by-way and can be used by all so they have to take into consideration 4X4s/MX/Quads/Walkers etc.
    They published this:
    http://resources.peakdistrict.gov.uk/ct ... tem5-1.pdf
    More here:
    http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/chapelgate
    They have now banned all motorised transport until 2012.It actually needs 4x4s etc to churn it up a bit.
    They did a similar job to the Houndkirk road near Foxhouse.
  • Biggus86
    Biggus86 Posts: 385
    I heard about this... brilliant decent (awful acent haha).

Major dissapointment if it happens.
  • pots74
    pots74 Posts: 62
    What a disaster! The lakes are becoming evermore pedestrianised!!!! :x
    I have never been lost but I do admit to being confused for several weeks!

Specialized Enduro Expert EVO 2012
  • pots74
    pots74 Posts: 62
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the sterilisation has begun on walna scar!! :cry:
    I went last night to do the route for the last time before they started but alas they already had! :shock: If it's not the trail centres being altered it's now the fells! :x
    I have never been lost but I do admit to being confused for several weeks!

Specialized Enduro Expert EVO 2012
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Trouble is that the legislation specifically states cycles don't need to be considered when resurfacing trails. Looks like some good rain would turn that Peaks trail back to the way is was fairly quickly. Mud is not a good surfacing material.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    pots74 wrote:
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the sterilisation has begun on walna scar!! :cry:
    I went last night to do the route for the last time before they started but alas they already had! :shock: If it's not the trail centres being altered it's now the fells! :x

Balls. Oh well, I'll see what its like soon enough! :?
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Matt_
    I rode it last night. The top section is as good as ever, absolutely cracking however.... they try to send you down on to a new route on the grass to bypass the old track in places and the bottom half is absolutely ruined. It's like a raised up, smoothed out railway embankment down the hillside, maybe a metre or so above the natural ground level? It's no more challenging than riding on a wide canal path :roll: Because of the way they've constructed it with it being raised up & 4x4s not being allowed on there any more I really doubt that it will wash away any time soon either. So that's my favourite descent in the Lakes ruined for the foreseeable future! :roll: :cry::(

It's a disgrace that they are allowed to get away with doing this! So p*ssed off about it.
    Current Bikes:
    2010 Trek Fuel EX8
    2006 Scott Reflex 20

• Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    There's a thread running over on the Singletrack forum about the same thing,

some photos of said improvements here

(scroll down to Digger)

http://www.bogtrotters.org/show_album.php?album_id=1176
  • ratty2k
    That is bad. I know its a busy route, but something less akin to a road would have been nice! Wondering when they will start tarmacking the busiest trails?
    My Pics !

• A holes. Hopefully another good winter will start it breaking up asap. Either that ir just ride on the old bits anyway if they are still there?
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • sniper68
    Either that ir just ride on the old bits anyway if they are still there?
    Looking at this photo that might be possible?
    DSC_0312.jpg
  • Matt_
    Yeah there are one or 2 parts that you can get on to the old bit and ride it. Trouble is they have blocked them off and diverted you round so you have to keep an eye out for them!
    Current Bikes:
    2010 Trek Fuel EX8
    2006 Scott Reflex 20

• chrisga
    chrisga Posts: 587
    Not sure if this has anything to do with them, but the National Trust is recking the Lake District!!! I have used the Walna Scar route regularly and it used to be great. So sad to hear, its just another part of the Lakes dumbed down. I get so angry by this.
  • sniper68
    chrisga wrote:
    Not sure if this has anything to do with them, but the National Trust is recking the Lake District!!! I have used the Walna Scar route regularly and it used to be great. So sad to hear, its just another part of the Lakes dumbed down. I get so angry by this.
    When designating land/paths/bridleways for repair there is(unfortunately) no remit to cater for MTBers,so whether it's the NT or the Park authority the repairs just have to be sympathetic with the surroundings.Like it or not the repairs will always happen but will not always(OK never) have bikers in mind :cry:
  • ratty2k
    Hmm, but if they stuck to repairing damage then it wouldn't be quite so bad. The fact is they have just dug up the old path and made a motorway. Not repair work IMO.
    My Pics !