Newbie Bike Advice

Livefast123
Livefast123 Posts: 3
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
Hello all, I'm looking for some advice over what bike to buy. I'm swapping my motorbike for a pedal bike in an effort to reduce costs and get some fitness training.

My commute is 4.5 miles either way and i'll be doing that for 6-7 days at a time 3 times a month. My cycle route consists of cycle track and a bit of road, I will have to cycle night or day, rain or shine.

I've been looking at the hybrid type bikes and have narrowed it down to bikes like the Sirrus. I don't have a huge budget and can spend 300 - 400.

Currently i'm using my dads Dawes Vision which seems good

Comments

• sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    I can't recommend any specific bikes but if you're going to ride in all conditions make sure you get a bike that can take mud guards (to arive at work clean) and a pannier rack. Carrying luggage on your back is uncomfortable.

I would also suggest fitting slime filled inner tubes (or similar) to reduce the chance of punctures.

Finally about lights. If the cycle tracks are unlit you will need a powerful light to see with (as opposed to alllowing other road users to see you). These can be expensive so don't bother getting one until you really need to.
    Steve C
  • Thanks Steve,

Luckily we've got showers at work and I keep all my work clothes there so I prefer getting dirty to the look of mudguards :lol: I've managed to get a rubber torch mount off ebay and have attached my Cree powered which probably wakes the wildlife up at night!!