The Cloud

GhallTN6
GhallTN6 Posts: 505
edited July 2011 in The Crudcatcher
FFS's, If I get one more call asking if we want to join the cloud.. I might just tell them it's raining and I don't want to get wet!

Comments

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Who's the cloud and why do they want you to join?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Think he means Kevin McCloud, he's always phoning me up asking me to come to the pub, 3 or 4 times a week minimum,
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Does it look like a big dog?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Are you a water droplet, or a legless sheep? Unless you are, then I'd explain to them that you simply cannot join the cloud.
  • montevideoguy
    montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
    Still waiting on the answer. Is it to do with all this new fancy online storage that a lot of large companies are peddling as the next big thing?
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    i want to know particluars
    is it a Stratus, AltoStratus, Cirrus or Cumulus

without these basic facts i cant answer the question, wouldnt want to be tied in to the t&c's
  • Anonymous
    Ash?
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Still waiting on the answer. Is it to do with all this new fancy online storage that a lot of large companies are peddling as the next big thing?

Next big thing? Technically "Cloud Storage" as we know it kicked off about 12 years back when Hotmail (prior to Microsoft acquiring them) offered 5MB of free online storage for files and photos.Of course this service still exists and now we're offered Gigabytes of "online" storage by our mail vendors.
    As Internet connectivity becomes faster and cheaper and the cost / TB of storage goes down, it was only a question of time before offsite (aka Cloud) storage became a reality

What irks me is how many companies offer "Cloud Backup" of data based on bespoke agents, however their SLAs state quite clearly that the Cloud Vendor is not responsible for application data restoral. Brilliant!
  • montevideoguy

Next big thing? Technically "Cloud Storage" as we know it kicked off about 12 years back when Hotmail (prior to Microsoft acquiring them) offered 5MB of free online storage for files and photos.Of course this service still exists and now we're offered Gigabytes of "online" storage by our mail vendors.
    As Internet connectivity becomes faster and cheaper and the cost / TB of storage goes down, it was only a question of time before offsite (aka Cloud) storage became a reality

What irks me is how many companies offer "Cloud Backup" of data based on bespoke agents, however their SLAs state quite clearly that the Cloud Vendor is not responsible for application data restoral. Brilliant!

This is rubbish. Steve Jobs invented iCloud (with Google and Microsoft just copying them)

(I perhaps should have made my sarcasm clear in my initial post. The irony I find with these "cloud services" being offered is that we have the storage space, we have the connection speeds, but now we're getting tighter download caps...madness)
  • Anonymous
    Well, we don;t really have the connection speeds either. There's several companies offering total PC backup to "the cloud". Which of course seems like a good idea, until you realise that mos modern PCs have nearly, of not more than a terrabyte of crap on them!
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Well, we don;t really have the connection speeds either. There's several companies offering total PC backup to "the cloud". Which of course seems like a good idea, until you realise that mos modern PCs have nearly, of not more than a terrabyte of crap on them!

Yeah, I have no idea how companies like Backblaze can offer unlimited storage for so cheap. It'd take about 4 years for them to recoup the costs of backing up my PC, not accounting for redundancy and decreasing cost of drives.

"The Cloud" is some wifi crap that O2 do. It's like BT Openzone, but cack.
  • montevideoguy
    Hey!!!! All those episodes of Aqua teen Hunger Force are NOT crap (or a terrabyte's worth, in fairness)!!! While it would take an age to get the stuff up initially, it wouldn't be a problem after that

I personally think it's a crock of poop. Having your stuff accessible across different devices is a cool idea but I like the security of having the information in my own possession (rather than being held in some storage place in the US).
  • Anonymous
    The other thing with "the cloud", is that dumb terminals were done to death aeons ago. We didn't have anywhere near fast enough connections for widespread adoption back then, and as our computers have become more powerful and demanding, we STILL don't have fast enough connections.
  • montevideoguy
    Unless you're wanting to stream 1080p movies, I don't see the issue regarding speed. Once the LTE stuff eventually rolls up in UK (if, indeed, that's the path they go down), then it's even less of an issue. Bandwidth caps from the mobile operators will be the biggest hindrance (much in the same way ISPs limiting upload is for home connections just now)
  • montevideoguy
    Off to Spanish class now (in case you give the greatest reply the world has seen...not being ignorant :wink: )
  • Anonymous
    Unless you're wanting to stream 1080p movies, I don't see the issue regarding speed.
    I have stacks and stacks of photos, each at around 60 meg a piece, a ton of video, and a crapload of multitrack audio, which will take up roughly 1 gig per minute.
    1080p video? pah. I ####### your ######## 1080p video
  • montevideoguy
    60 meg pics? I'm assuming RAW files? Can any mobile devices (other than SLRs obviously) handle them?

As for the multitrack stuff...I assume this would be work based? If so, then you'd prob just keep the stuff on one local server rather than use the cloud. We're both basically saying the same thing (clouds are shite), just for differing reasons
  • Anonymous
    Mobile devices? Yeah, laptops. Raw files are quite small, but PhotoShop files and Tif files are hooooj.
    Basically, cloud nonsense ignores people who actually use their computers to create things, and assume that everyone is an iPad style consumption drone.

Talking of the cloud though, I literally haven't seen the sun at all in 4 days, I wish this ****ing thing would ********* off
  • Not a chance I'd use the cloud.... they'd find all my torrents.
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    chedabob wrote:
    "The Cloud" is some wifi crap that O2 do. It's like BT Openzone, but cack.

More research needed on your part my friend...
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    I think it's a little unfair to describe clouds as shite, the concept is a great idea, just seriously hobbled by as has been said, connection speeds and download caps.

as for mobile devices that can handle RAW files, I believe aperture on the iPad does but i may be wrong about that not having an iPad.
    Fancy a brew?
  • GhallTN6
    GhallTN6 Posts: 505
    well, :roll: from all of the comments on here it looks like everyone is well up for copying all thier data onto a server that you don't have any control over, don't know who has control over it (because someone has to), can connect to it from all over the world, although you only ever work at your office and don't have the applications to use it anywhere else, and trying to open up that xxmb .AI file is going to be so much fun!

The funny thing is when I tell them we have a 1mb internet connection in the UAE (costs us £1300 a month).. they seem to backtrack a bit then.

And if virtualization and the market for private enterprise servers is growing then how can cloud computing also be growing?

of course some people are already using AltoStratus because they have data on Flickr, facebok, hotmail etc.. but that's just for viewing, not really for working on.
  • Anonymous
    GhallTN6 wrote:
    well, :roll: from all of the comments on here it looks like everyone is well up for copying all thier data onto a server that you don't have any control over
    Er, no, not quite.
  • Anonymous
    Not a chance I'd use the cloud.... they'd find all my torrents.
    They're probably far more likely to become aware of your torrents because you post about them publicly.
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    Cloud services: Where someone in marketting has hold of something that was useful, turned it into a buzz word and just won't let go of it.
  • KitsuneAndy
    KitsuneAndy Posts: 164
    The other thing with "the cloud", is that dumb terminals were done to death aeons ago. We didn't have anywhere near fast enough connections for widespread adoption back then, and as our computers have become more powerful and demanding, we STILL don't have fast enough connections.

We do for what most businesses need them for, the data sent between the dumb terminal and the cloud would be very small, same for the response.

"Hey cloud, here's some data in an XML string, do your complex calculations and give me the response please"

Simple and fast and allows companies to scale up processing power on the fly by just purchasing more processor time. You'd want a dedicated line to do it though, viable for commercial entitities, but not really for home users.
  • Anonymous
    Fluffy kittens
  • KitsuneAndy
    KitsuneAndy Posts: 164
    Fluffy kittens

They'd clog up the heatsinks and make the servers overheat.
  • Anonymous
    Now that I agree with, however...
    http://www.rathergood.com/cats

Actually, I don't disagree with your earlier post either, in fact much of it echoes my sentiments.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    latest IT fad isn't it, good for some stuff, we keep our spreadsheets on google docs as we can access them from multiple locations and it's convenient

for companies, seems to me that relatively low processing load stuff works fine in the cloud but if you're doing heavier weight stuff like data integration it's better to stay on premise.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6